PDA

View Full Version : Alarm clock fail, hair embarassment.

HeatherJenae
April 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Okay, so I thought I'd share my fun fail with everyone. My Hello Kitty alarm clock totally failed me this morning and my brother woke me up out of a dead sleep (we work at the same place) to ask me if I was coming in to work today. My job had started fifteen minutes ago. I called my boss and told him I'd be there in ten minutes (I only live a few blocks away). So I jumped out of bed and threw on some clothes and put on my shoes. Then I pulled off the silk cap I always wear to sleep and realized with a pitiful whimper that I'd heavily coconut oiled my hair the night before thinking I would have an hour or two before work to shampoo it out and style it as usual. And I couldn't possibly justify to my old male boss taking the time to shower. SO...needless to say, I had to go to work and sit there for eight straight hours with it still in my hair. I looked like a greasy renegade homeless person. I work in a formal office. All day people were giving me strange looks and asked me if my hair was still wet from a shower (yeah, that was one powerful shower!). I cannot tell you how awesome it was to go home and wash it out. Luckily, it was clean hair so I didn't feel gross all day, I was just self conscious about it. You better believe I'll have a back up alarm tonight. On the plus side, my hair feels nice and soft. But it sure as hell should! It had almost a full day to soak in!
Anybody else got any fun/embarrassing stories to share of lateness and how your hair suffered because of it?

rena
April 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM
When I was flatironing, I only had time to straighten one side of my head, so my ponytail was half curly/frizzy, and half straight :o Luckily, I didn't have to show myself in public too much, and it was night *whew*.

HeatherJenae
April 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Ha! That would suck. That's always kind of my fear when I'm flat ironing or curling. That I'll get half done and not be able to finish.

Amraann
April 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Awww
On the bright side your hair has just had a great oiling!
I can't think of a specific moment right now but I know there have been a few times when upon waking late I had not time to do my hair so the messy up in a scrunchy look is what I did.

Slinks
April 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I had something similar this morning, except lucky for me, I didn't have to get out of the car or be seen by anyone .. I was to drop my son's GF off at her work and normally this happens at 7am but seeing as she was a no-show I thought perhaps it will be 7:30am, so I unraveled my pigtail plaits that I sleep in, oiled them and was doing one side back up when she showed up and said her alarm didn't go off .. so off we went, me in one pigtail plait and the other half down .. lol :-)

tinywife
April 25th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I tried coconut oil for the very first time the night before a job interview. I must have used way too much, because my shampoo would not get it all out the next morning. I eventually had to give up and be interviewed (by a whole board of people) with greasy "homeless person" hair.
I didn't get the job, and to this day I wonder if that was the reason why. Fortunately, I now have one I like much better. :)

xoerincolleen
April 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Oh no, that is unfortunate! At least your hair is soft now.

Ps- I have a Hello Kitty alarm clock too!

Slinks
April 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I tried coconut oil for the very first time the night before a job interview. I must have used way too much, because my shampoo would not get it all out the next morning. I eventually had to give up and be interviewed (by a whole board of people) with greasy "homeless person" hair.
I didn't get the job, and to this day I wonder if that was the reason why. Fortunately, I now have one I like much better. :)

the trick is to wash it out with condishioner not shampoo :-)

ETA: but you probably know that already now :-)

Mesmerise
April 25th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I had something similar this morning, except lucky for me, I didn't have to get out of the car or be seen by anyone .. I was to drop my son's GF off at her work and normally this happens at 7am but seeing as she was a no-show I thought perhaps it will be 7:30am, so I unraveled my pigtail plaits that I sleep in, oiled them and was doing one side back up when she showed up and said her alarm didn't go off .. so off we went, me in one pigtail plait and the other half down .. lol :-)

I have had similar to this, when I've had to drop my son off at the bus stop, and I've put castor oil in my hair the night before, braided it, slept on it (read - hair that is just scruffed all over my hair despite the braid), and then I've had to go out in public. Fortunately, not out of the car, as I'm usually attired in PJs too lol.

faerielady
April 25th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I've done that all day leave-in thing myself... I was so self-conscious all day long...:(

Lynda
April 25th, 2011, 08:37 PM
One time my sister called me to pick up my niece at athletic practice because her car wouldn't start.

There was no way to leave my niece there for long; the coaches wait until the last kid is picked up.

I'd just put 2 boxes of auburn haircolor on my head...and nobody home to call.

On the way, right by the school, someone majorly ran into my car.

You can guess the rest: Cops, a half-dozen school moms, and me in my haircoloring t-shirt, with my head wrapped in saran wrap, emanating the powerful stench of L-Oreal Preference. :o

TheBluffs
April 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
i did this two weeks ago! :D Everyone asked if it was hairspray, untill one girl in my Functions class felt my hair and said 'It's SO soft'!

Needless to say, veeryone touched my hair after that..

Slinks
April 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM
as I'm usually attired in PJs too lol.

lol, done this too .. OMG, I just remembered - this was way before I was a hair carer tho and has nothing to do with LHC but I was in my workout attire, as I'm a fitness fanatic but my fitness attire is NOT the sort to be seen in public with, anyway I was dropping my kids off at school and low and behold, OMG, they had random licence checking and I got pulled over, I had just finished a workout, my hair was a mess and my clothes sweaty AND I didn't have my bag with me !! :o he was such a good looking young man too .. he saw my embarrassment and let me go, lol, he might have been more embarrassed than me, no doubt tho, he probably saw worse than me !!! come to think of it, it was the one and only time it ever happened at that time of day so they probably never did it again and I can certainly understand why !! lol .. :eyebrows:

Slinks
April 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
One time my sister called me to pick up my niece at athletic practice because her car wouldn't start.

There was no way to leave my niece there for long; the coaches wait until the last kid is picked up.

You can guess the rest: Cops, a half-dozen school moms, and me in my haircoloring t-shirt, with my head wrapped in saran wrap, emanating the powerful stench of L-Oreal Preference. :o
OMG !!!!! .. I do hope all was well tho in the end as far as you the car and such ..

HeatherJenae
April 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Wow Lynda, you just totally outdid me big time! :) That's so hilariously wrong. Doesn't it always seem like bad things happen when we're looking our worst? Or maybe those just stand out in our memory.

Seharia
April 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
A similar thing to the OP happened to me the first (and last) time I heavily oiled my hair. I did have time to wash it in the morning but I had no clue how to get the oil out of my hair so the whole day in school everyone was asking me if I had showered that morning. My answer "ya usually I don't shower in the morning cause it takes almost a whole day to dry. My hairs very absorbent" Needless to say I got some weird looks...

HeatherJenae
April 25th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Seharia I had the exact same thing happen a couple months ago. I accidentally put to much on my dry hair to tame the fly aways and people kept asking me why it was still wet in the middle of the day. I totally just lied and said my hair just stays wet for a really long time! :)

Amraann
April 25th, 2011, 09:21 PM

OMG!!!
Did the color being left on fry your hair?

Lynda
April 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Wow Lynda, you just totally outdid me big time! :) That's so hilariously wrong. Doesn't it always seem like bad things happen when we're looking our worst? Or maybe those just stand out in our memory.

I got the giggles reading the original post, just thinking about people looking at you with a gooey head. :o

At least you had a nice scent. :)

Lynda
April 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM
OMG!!!
Did the color being left on fry your hair?

It didn't hurt my hair at all, luckily. That auburn lasted a long time!

Debra83
April 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
That's hilarious!!! That's why I have 4 alarm clocks!!!! :D

The other stories were really funny too!!!

Sundial
April 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM
All day people were giving me strange looks and asked me if my hair was still wet from a shower (yeah, that was one powerful shower!).

I had that happen to me during that one time when I was experimenting with the Caramel Treatment!

Although I am home most of the time, I do try to plan experiments on stretches of days when I know I wouldn't have any social engagements. Unfortunately, life has other plans :rolleyes: DH called me just as I was about to rinse out the treatment and told me that we have to rush over to his friend's place for a funeral wake because his friend's mum just passed away.

And omg! That thing just *would not* wash out!!! I tried 2 COs one after another without any success and DH was getting impatient because we were apparently the only ones not there yet, so I gave up and braided my hair.

Throughout the whole thing, his friend's wife kept looking at me strange and asked if I showered before I came over and she was wondering aloud why my hair is taking so long to dry. :rolleyes:

Lianna
April 26th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Do people really ask if your hair is wet?! That never happened to me. So what if it was? Is washing hair not normal? It's like the world demands heatstyle, because my hair will not be naturally dry at 7am when class starts (I wash at nights and mornings sometimes, it's that hot in here). My hair is obviously wet everyday, so I guess everyday is embarassing to me, plus it's always in an updo, maybe they think it's dirty. Hmm, I wonder what would be "worse". In my opinion dirty, because freshly washed hair at least smells better.

I feel a little embarassed everyday yes, because my hair doesn't look "its best" because it's damp in a bun. But it's hot (yes, everyday) and looks crazy while drying. When I felt most embarassed (I'm very shy in RL) was when someone actually commented on my hair, that she haven't seen it down, and everyone in the table (a few classmates and the teacher) agreed. I had to justify myself. :roll:

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I recently henna'd my hair over night meaning to wash it out before taking my daughter to the school bus stop.
Epic fail at getting up early. Spent all my time priseing my 14 year old son out of bed, feeding my 7 year old daughter, doing her hair (it's waist length and the tug fairy always has a fieldday with it during the night) etc.
Ended up walking to the bus stop with henna, clingfilm (Saran rap) and a towel on my head!
Looked a right numpty.
:)

alwayssmiling
April 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Thats why I love being at a length where I can braid my hair. No more embarrassing hair days for me. And I have a nice collections of hats, head bands and scarves which are worth their weight in gold! I bet your hair was lovely when you washed it out.

CrystalStar
April 26th, 2011, 04:07 AM
The one time I tried an olive oil soak, I only had about a quarter of a bottle of conditioner left for CO washing. Needless to say it just wouldn't wash out! I tried smothering my hair in baby powder, or anything to soak the oil up, but it just shine through! Eventually I put it up and went to school with it, but it was pointed out that my hair had a 'wet, frizzy' look to it. :laugh:

HeatherJenae
April 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for sharing ladies! Makes me feel not so bad about my crazy hair day. Yes, people at work definitely ask why my hair is still wet. They wouldn't comment if it was just wet for awhile from a shower, but this is the all day super greasy look. To cap off my original story, I went in today and the first lady that saw me said, "Well you look nice, you must have actually showered today."

MandyBeth
April 26th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I was running late this am. It was wet and misty out. My hair usually dries fine on my drive in. Today, nada. Soaked still. Oh well, I have new foster kids, being late is fine to everyone for now.

Annie Fulton
April 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Something pretty similar happened to me. Except instead of an alarm clock, I got an unexpected call from my boss asking me if I could come in for an extra shift at work. My hair was totally slathered in oil, and on top of that I didn't have any clean work clothes. I could have said no, but my boss said she really needed me, so I found the best clothes that I could and styled my hair as best as possible. Yeah, I was pretty self-conscience. People probably thought I was just totally lazy! ;)

rogue_psyche
April 26th, 2011, 10:35 PM
One time I went to work with magenta manic panic stains on my neck and ears. I got teased by my coworkers and customers.

Today I was sporting the greasies, due to sleeping in as well.

Slinks
April 27th, 2011, 01:26 AM
lol, at all the above !! :-)

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:43 AM
ha ha that made me LOL! ive done the exact same a few years back, luckily i worked with a lot of Indian nurses so I made out it was intentional. I looked a right scruff bag!

WaitingSoLong
April 27th, 2011, 05:51 AM
These stories are great! I feel sorry for Lynda though!

I recently did this with an SMT. I cannot remember where I got called to go but I somehow smoothed all my gloppy hair into a stick bun. I remember being really glad to finally wash it out. It smelled like aloe pretty strong. Guess that is better than B.O.

hermosamendoza
September 13th, 2012, 08:43 PM
the trick is to wash it out with condishioner not shampoo :-)

ETA: but you probably know that already now :-)

I didn't know that! please tell me more!!!

hermosamendoza
September 13th, 2012, 08:46 PM
.....snip.....

OH NO! That's my worst nightmare except when I do a herbal or henna mud mask! Having to go somewhere and/or getting into an accident!

hermosamendoza
September 13th, 2012, 08:49 PM
These stories made my night! What a laugh that I needed!

spirals
September 13th, 2012, 09:42 PM
First, :lol: :lol: :lol: Second, I am perplexed. I go places with wet hair all he time, and in winter it has frozen--literally--by the time I get to work. No one ever says anything to me. They don't even look at it. And I often use work as an opportunity to oil, if for some reason I need to wear it up. I glob on the coconut oil and braid it and no one is ther wiser. :confused:

AnnaJamila
September 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Haha, I wear oil out aaaaaaaall the time and no one ever knows! Thank you, hijab!

ApatheticFairy
September 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I often use work as an opportunity to oil, if for some reason I need to wear it up. I glob on the coconut oil and braid it and no one is ther wiser. :confused:

I do this, too. I never wear my hair down at work except when I go outside on my breaks, so nobody's really seen me with loose hair, so I guess they're just oblivious.

Unless I'm using Toadstool's Pumpkin Crunch condish as a leave-in. Then people are bombarding me because I smell good. Is it really so out of the ordinary that I would smell good that you need to make such a giant deal out of it? -.-;; :rolleyes:

jacqueline101
September 14th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I've never had any embarrassment from my hair I did wear one house shoe and one tennis shoe to work.

Anabell
September 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM
lol :)
funny stories, everyone.
I also never had embarrassment from my hair, but there a lot of times when I took my dog for a walk and my clothes was really embarrassing ones. that kind that regular people will never wear outside of the house...
but i didn't really care :P
about oiling- this just make my hair shiny and a little of wet looking. but it is not considered strange here, because a lot of people use hair products (like moistness lotion) that create that look.

melusine963
September 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
When I was flatironing, I only had time to straighten one side of my head, so my ponytail was half curly/frizzy, and half straight :o Luckily, I didn't have to show myself in public too much, and it was night *whew*.

Sometimes when straightening my sister's hair for her I'll get impatient if she doesn't sit still, and I'll threaten to stop halfway through. I'm not that mean, so I've never followed through. ;)

Jorja
September 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I've never had any embarrassment from my hair I did wear one house shoe and one tennis shoe to work.

LOL you trendsetter you :D

I have spent the day serving customers with orange stained fingernails after hennaing my hair the day before. Looked like I had an 80 a day habit!