PDA

View Full Version : Went in for a trim today...

lapispimpernel
April 25th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I was *so* hoping to do the no trim challenge this year, but I threw in the towel today and went in for a wee trim. Obsessively S&D'ing for the past month wasn't doing anything for me. I thought, while I was there, I'd go ahead and get a deep moisture treatment, but the results are so disappointing! My ends feel all crunchy and horrible, and they were so nice this morning!

Also! It was so damp today, my halo/wurls were out in full force and actually looked almost nice, instead of totally stupid like usual, but my stylist must have missed them before shampooing since he spent a lot of time telling me about straight hair care while he was trimming. I've worked kind of hard on babying my waves since I found out I had them, so it was a bit irritating and sad.

Plus, he spent a half hour brushing and blowing out my hair (at least it was on cool & with a diffuser) and then went ahead and flatironed. It's been about two years since I've done any heat styling at all, but my hair is so fragile I'm worried he did kind of a lot of damage. :( I need a backbone, jeez.

Anyway, that's my little rant. I don't think I'll be going back to a salon again any time soon. What a waste.

spidermom
April 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Ummmmmmmmm ... do you know how to say "no"? You don't have to sit there and take anything a stylist cares to dish out. It's your hair and your money. Don't be afraid to stand up for what you want - and I mean "stand up" literally. Don't just sit there.

SpeakingEZ
April 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
It'll be easier to say "no" during if you tell him ahead of time that you do NOT want heat. Then you can have your little bicker with him before you're in the seat and you'll have grounds to be angry if he starts using a straightener without asking you.

As for your treatment, did it have keratin in it? I've heard that called a moisturizing treatment before when it's actually pure protein.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I am a hairdressers nightmare! whats done is done, put it down to experience and continue to baby your hair. Next time if you see straighteners coming out, tell her thanks but no thanks!

One session won't have done too much damage, just continue with your routine and maybe throw a deep conditioning treatment it; its not the end of the world!

long&blonde
April 25th, 2011, 07:00 PM
As soon as I read the topic heading "I went in for a trim today.." I started laughing & said "that never ends well! " as I clicked to see what happened to you. The only good salon visits i:e had? Some colors/cuts/trims hairdressers have given me,grew in or after I redid what they did, I liked in a few days. But I've never ever left a salon happy. Is it just Us? And we go marching back "for our own good", to pay them 50-150 and end up trying not to cry. I feel ya!

akuamoonmaui
April 25th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I can count on three fingers how many times I've left a salon happy.... wait. two. I just gave up and learned to trim my hair myself. Even the learning curve of a few bad self trims was no better or worse than most salons I've been to. At this point I've got it pretty figured out and have actually gotten complements on my "cuts". As in, "Where do you get your hair cut?" :shrug: "My bathroom?"

Stick around! You get all kinds of good info for taking care of your hair (including trims!)

Sundial
April 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Like spidermom and SpeakingEZ said, just feel free to let them know what you want. I remember reading about members who go in and out of salons with wet hair because they prefer to handle their own shampooing/drying/etc. You can do that too ;)

shikara
April 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Yes, that sucks doesn't it, but like jojo said, don't be too hard on yourself, and learn from the experience. If you haven't trimmed your hair yourself before, give it a try next time. It works very well. There are three articles here on LHC. I really look forward to trimming.

alwayssmiling
April 26th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I'm the same at the HDs. I would go in with a very precise idea of what I wanted doing and before I know it I've been talked into allsorts. I'm too polite for my own good. I did get a little bit more assertive when she was blow drying my daughters hair so hot and close to the hair I could see steam coming off it. I do my own hair now - haven't been for 18 months so far and I'm much happier.

Siaraven
April 26th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I use a mobile hair dresser(who works for herself) and comes over to my house, i find that she listens much better than when iv gone to a salon. I guess the loss of my custom would affect her more than a it would affect a big salon.

I find from most salons that i have been to that they all have ideals that hair should be straightened and that everyone wants their hair to look a certain way.

Heatherzilla
April 26th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I feel your pain. I cheated on my favourite hairdresser and went somewhere new to get a trim today because I was out. My hair is now a good 2 inches shorter than it was. Not cheating on my hairdresser again.

As a plus my hair does feel really nice.

Fufu
April 26th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Have to say what you like and don't like to your hairdresser, especially if this is the first time.

lapispimpernel
April 29th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate both the sympathy and "man up" advice. Next time (if there is one...) I'll set out things beforehand.

You'll all be *super* relieved to know that my hair is fine after several deep conditions. ;)

SpeakingEZ
May 3rd, 2011, 02:07 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate both the sympathy and "man up" advice. Next time (if there is one...) I'll set out things beforehand.

You'll all be *super* relieved to know that my hair is fine after several deep conditions. ;)

Good for you! Good luck for next time.