PDA

View Full Version : Hair Wrapping = Extra Oily?

Jimothea
April 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Well, I have finally figured out how to wrap my hair for non-heat straightening without getting weird crimps (hip hip, hooray!), but my hair seems to get super oily, super fast this way. If I had darker or evened-out hair (I'm a two-tone blonde with a long grow out ahead of me...), I wouldn't mind because I don't think it would show at all; but with my current two-toned, medium blonde and bleach blonde "look" it looks downright dirty, lol, and peicey, after maybe 2 or 3 hours...really, really oily, even near the ends.

I only wear my hair down every once in a while, like yesterday for Easter at a friend's house, and I'd like to have a straight-without-heat routine for those days, since my hair is definitely becoming more curly, less wurly, the healthier it grows. Is this just my hair, or is there a way around the extra oily factor?

I do this before bed, then cover my head in either a silk scarf or this mystery fabric (depends on which's clean, lol) that I found in the remnant bin. Am I maybe using the wrong fabrics? Or...I CO; should I maybe only do the wrapping on days I clarify? I don't oil my hair when I do it...

Lol. I'm at a loss, and I'm so proud I finally figured out how to get straight hair in a healthy manner that I'd really like to get this all squared away! Suggestions? Thank you so much in advance!

Firefox7275
April 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Are you perhaps getting too hot overnight whilst your hair is wrapped? Or is your hair naturally oily? If the latter you might try cold rinses at the start of washing your hair so that the glads release their contents to be washed away. Or maybe try a lighter conditionersuch as the ones often used for CO-washing?

shockinglength
April 25th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'd try wrapping your hair on the days that you clarify to see how your hair reacts. . . then decide from there.

Jimothea
April 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Firefox--You know, I am always "running hot," lol--I hadn't thought of that, good point. But I already do my showers (second half only, though, but the part where I focus on my hair) in cold water. And I use Suave Naturals for my CO'S--right now I'm on the Ocean Breeze (I think that's the name of it), and dilute it even, so it should be pretty light. Hmm..maybe a fan on me or something while I sleep.

shockinglength--good idea. I guess I'll try again next week?

Thanks for the suggestions!

pepperminttea
April 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I avoid manipulating my roots too much for the couple of days after I wash; too many updo changes and my roots get oily a lot more quickly. You might have more luck with your scalp, but it's something to keep in mind.

Anje
April 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
You know, it could just be that straight hair looks oily more easily than wavy and curly hair. When you get a bit of oil in straight hair, it starts to fall into pieces rather than being a coherent sheet of hair, and is said to "look oily". When you oil wavy or curly hair, it falls into defined clumps and looks organized and non-frizzy.