PDA

View Full Version : Question about expressions

CastaDiva
April 25th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Hi, I have been a member on LHC for a few months now, but there are a few expressions used by other members that I don`t understand. The ones in question are "ETA", "bump", "no pun intended" and "The op". Can someone please explain these expressions to me because I feel a bit left out when I see them in posts not knowing what they mean:)

bte
April 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM
ETA = Edited to add, used to explain a change made to a post
bump is where usually the original poster (OP) adds an almost blank post to a thread to remind others that it is there.
No pun intended is where an expression is accidentally funny but was not intended to be
The op - depends on the context!

CastaDiva
April 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks, bte:) Op in the meaning original poster makes sense because I`ve seen it used by members responding to a thread saying for instance, "I think what the op means is....":)

gretchen_hair
April 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
The op means *original poster*, or the person who started the thread. In this case, CastaDiva, YOU are the OP of this thread. :)

ETA: I see you already figured it out! :flower:

CastaDiva
April 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Thank you for your reply, gretchen hair:) I`m really glad that I`ve received answers to my questions, and I`m sure I`ll be an OP again;)

pepperminttea
April 28th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I find UrbanDictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.co)'s quite useful for things like that. :)

CastaDiva
April 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks, pepperminttea:) Very useful link indeed!!

jeanniet
May 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
OP can also mean "original post" in reference to the first post of a thread, but I don't know if that meaning is used here that much.