PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hair up safer than having it down?

TaraTilly
April 25th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I want to wear my hair in some styles that will keep it safe from wear-n-tear and all the elements while it continues growing but is it safer to keep it up? Or will this cause breakage as well.... what are your thoughts? thanks :p

Dragon
April 25th, 2011, 04:25 AM
By what I have noticed, most people but not all find it helps to cause less damage by wearing it up.

pepperminttea
April 25th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Generally, yes. With the exception of updos that involve back-combing, and using snaggy hairtoys or hair ties that can catch and damage hairs. With safe hairtoys though, it's a great idea for preventing damage and hiding oily roots days. Compared to hair worn down, which will tangle more, and getting those tangles out again can cause damage. It's also all too easy to catch loose hair in seatbelts, bag straps, jewellery, etc., and all the damage does build up. This article is well worth a read (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8). :)

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Yes less damage when hair is up but as ^^ said use hair friendly toys, no metal bits especially. Hair sticks and forks are the safest bet.

Sundial
April 25th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Also, keep the tension on the hairdo looser so as not to pull too much on the hair follicles

Firefox7275
April 25th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I caused a lot of breakage by wearing a ponytail constantly (no snag elastics) so do change your style regularly.

Madora
April 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Tara Tilly, yes, keeping your hair up is safer than wearing it down.

Keeping your hair in updos keeps the tangling to a minimum. It also prevents any unfortunate accidents you might encounter in every day living...getting your hair caught in zippers, on chairs, getting hair caught in drawers/file cabinets, impeding your vision, or worst yet, having your hair catch on fire if you're too near the stove!

The implements you use, however, should be hair friendly. Try to avoid ponytails (wearing a ponytail day after day weakens the roots). Your hair toys should be smooth and any rough spots filed down if necessary. Use hairpins (with or without crimps) to pin your hair in updos. Bobby pins are for small sections of hair. If you use hairsticks/forks, be sure to rotate the place where you insert them. If you don't, you'll be on your way to hair loss.

Lastly, when wearing your hair up, do not pull it back tightly. Let there be a little "give" in the front (to protect the delicate hair along the hairline). Giving your hair a little leeway also prevents traction alopecia..something you definitely DON'T want!

JadeTigress
April 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I completely did not know that pony tails weaken the roots. I've been wearing mine in a pony tail all the time recently, and times when I pull it up higher on my head, it's pretty tight. Do you think this caused, or is at least influencing, my massive shed that just seemed to come out of nowhere a couple months ago?

spidermom
April 25th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hair in tight ponytails = bad. Not only is it bad to put tension on the follicles, but people often get breakage right where the hair-tie sits.

For me, I get a lot less damage wearing my hair up. I like a braided bun with hair sticks lately; it seems to work the best for me.

When my hair is down, it gets into EVERYTHING, and tangles like crazy. So up it goes.