PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to the beach!

baaaad_kitty
April 25th, 2011, 03:22 AM
It's summer here in the tropics! :D

Any braided style suggestions? I prefer styles that are not bunned (my face is round so I think it makes me look more like a ball). Also, what can I do to protect my hair? Is it safe to go swim in the ocean with coconut oil in my hair? Or will it only fry my hair if I leave it on and stay under the sun? Thanks!

ericthegreat
April 25th, 2011, 03:54 AM
But its always summer weather down in Manila every day of the year anyway! Lucky you, here in NY where I am, its been rain, rain, and more rain for the past two months!

To be honest, bunned styles really are the best ways to protect your ends from all the damage you will get from the sun, sand and salt water. They keep your ends nice and tucked in. I usually always bun my hair and then put it under a swim cap when I go swimming.

You could try a French braid, however I'm sure after a day at the beach, that braid will come down loose and not-nice looking anyway right? I still think a bun and then a swim cap would be the best way to go. As for leaving coconut oil in your hair, that should be fine. Women in India cover their hair in coconut oil all the time, and you know how hot India is! As long as you are not blow drying or flat ironing your oiled hair, it should be perfectly fine.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I like twin braids when going to the beach or maybe a french braid?

dinnee
April 25th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Oil is always good to protect your hair. I went to the beach last weekend and braided my hair. Just two simple braids.

Make sure when you get out of the water to really rinse properly so all the salt is washed away. After that do a deep oil treatment because your hair is going to be really really dry.

Firefox7275
April 25th, 2011, 04:51 AM
It's summer here in the tropics! :D

Any braided style suggestions? I prefer styles that are not bunned (my face is round so I think it makes me look more like a ball). Also, what can I do to protect my hair? Is it safe to go swim in the ocean with coconut oil in my hair? Or will it only fry my hair if I leave it on and stay under the sun? Thanks!

Both coconut oil and shea butter have a modest SPF so will help protect your hair. The best way tho is to cover your head with a hat or scarf or wrap the braid.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 04:59 AM
you can always use a little sun protection meant for skin too!

Panth
April 25th, 2011, 06:16 AM
You could try a French braid, however I'm sure after a day at the beach, that braid will come down loose and not-nice looking anyway right?

The last time I was at the beach (and was mucking around climbing all over the place and playing in the waves) I wore a french plait and it worked great. I got a friend to do it quite tight, right from very close to the hair line with very neat small 'adding' bits to ensure all the flyaways got in. It worked very nicely, although I suspect if I'd bunned it it might have worked even better (although the fishes might have got some hairpins).