PDA

View Full Version : Updo Motivation?

xoerincolleen
April 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'll be honest: I HATE my hair in any sort of updo. I wear my hair down every day because I think my hair pulled back just doesn't look good with my face shape.
I like practicing updos- I just don't like wearing them in public. I know how to braid and am pretty adept at learning how to do styles, so the issue isn't a lack of proficiency (although I'm no styling expert!), it's just that I don't like them on myself. And, I'm growing out layers, so sometimes a single braid can get sloppy pretty quickly.

However, I know that I should keep my hair up at least sometimes in order to protect it! Do any of you have any ideas for flattering styles that I could try or any advice so I can motivate myself to happily wear my hair up more often?

shikara
April 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Wearing a headband or scarf can really alter the effect, as can the earrings you wear. Check some articles here or google 'updos images' or 'chignon images' and you'll get an abundance of ideas as you notice people with similar face shapes and hair types. Looser styles, or messy up-dos may allow you more freedom to add or take away a little fullness from certain places. Putting a hair comb in stragetic places before you do the updo can give you some lift where you might want it, as would lovely small barrettes, clips, or bobby pins. Good luck!!

HintOfMint
April 24th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I try to coordinate outfits that I know look good with my hair off my neck/away from my face. I have a few boatneck and v-neck shirts that, when I wear a bun, give me a ballet/Audrey Hepburn sort of look.

You could also find some style icons who wear their hair up and look to them for inspiration. That way you could reorient yourself to liking hair up.

rogue_psyche
April 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. It becoming clear to me that I need to protect my hair more if I want it to be healthy and past waist. I actually like my *hair* in updos, it's my face I can't stand!

I think it helps to wear a necklace and clothes that you really find flattering to offset the updo. All too often I just designate updo day as "I don't care how I look" day, and dress down.

I know that updos can look great, I just haven't unlocked the secret for updos looking great on me.

Aliped
April 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM
That's why I have bangs :)

shikara
April 24th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Bangs - me too! Love them - they can frame your face in so many ways, and you don't need to lose a lot of hair to bangs. Also, when I first started wearing my hair up, I wasn't real keen on the width I lost on the sides. Well, the hairbands do some to change that but after awhile you grow accustomed to your new look.

xoerincolleen
April 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM
shikara & aliped- I have side bangs, which I love! I would look HORRENDOUS without something framing my face. They're the only things that make any updo/pulled back hairstyle bearable for me right now.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I especially like the idea of earrings to accent the updo. I wear the same pearl studs every day, and I bet some colorful, dangly earrings would look really cute with a low bun or a ponytail.

rogue_psyche, I know what you mean. The only times I wear my hair up are when I'm getting ready for bed, at the gym, or on Saturday mornings when I wake up looking a hot mess and throw my hair into a bun. All typically "dress-down" times.
Good luck to you in finding updos that work for your face! I wish I could offer some advice, but I'm lost too :)

Lianna
April 25th, 2011, 01:03 AM
A lot of people where I live grow long hair wearing it down everyday (most women have long hair). You don't HAVE to wear updos if you don't want. :)

Siaraven
April 25th, 2011, 03:37 AM
In my work unfortunatley i have to wear it up, even though i prefer how it looks on me down and the comfort of it being around my face... but it does mean after experimenting with different styles, i found some that actually look pretty good on me :)

I

pepperminttea
April 25th, 2011, 03:53 AM
A favourite pair of earrings can help a lot. :) What about styles that are more to the side? A side braid over one shoulder, side buns, or updos with more detail at the front like Torrin's swoop bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1wl8fNvto)?

Vorvolaka
April 25th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I modify most of my updos so they can all be worn with a side parting. I hate when my hair is pulled straight back. And I agree with the earrrings and scoop neck tees, they look good with hair that's up.

xoerincolleen
April 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
A favourite pair of earrings can help a lot. :) What about styles that are more to the side? A side braid over one shoulder, side buns, or updos with more detail at the front like Torrin's swoop bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1wl8fNvto)?

Thank you for the suggestion, that is so pretty! I love how soft and elegant that looks. I'll have to try it out! :)

A lot of people where I live grow long hair wearing it down everyday (most women have long hair). You don't HAVE to wear updos if you don't want. :)

True! I love wearing my hair down. I just want to be able to incorporate a little more variety and to protect my ends more often! :)

tinti
April 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I know what you mean! I have a big forehead and a hopeless hairline (that's hidden by babyhairs and bangs :p) when my bangs were in the growing out stage and had to be clipped away I got myself used to wearing all my hair up, first with twin braids, then with a single, then with a half up, then with a normal all hair off my face/neck updo. Maybe that's something to try, with your bangs down? I moved on to next "step" when I was comfortable with wearing the last style. Oh, and makeup makes things a lot easier too, but you probably wear makeup already. I started wearing makeup at the same time as I started putting all my hair up so people were focusing more on the makeup than on my big forehead :p And accessories (flowers, bows, headbands, errings etc :))

celebriangel
April 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I know what you mean! my face looks "harsh" with all my hair scraped back for some reason, so I just damp bun and then gently remove the little front hairs from my bun - they go in little wisps from my part to just below my cheekbones. There! Bangs-without-bangs. You could maybe do this to add to your bangs?

I must admit that, however it looks, I've become completely unable, on a comfort level, to wear my hair down. I'm constantly aware of how much damage I am doing (my wurly hair tangles like mad. It's even worse if I sleep with it loose!) I don't know...maybe your way is better. I'd like to be able to wear it loose *sometimes*. Maybe when I'm at my goal I won't mind so much, as I'll be trimming more regularly and won't mind the odd split end.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. It becoming clear to me that I need to protect my hair more if I want it to be healthy and past waist. I actually like my *hair* in updos, it's my face I can't stand!

I think it helps to wear a necklace and clothes that you really find flattering to offset the updo. All too often I just designate updo day as "I don't care how I look" day, and dress down.

I know that updos can look great, I just haven't unlocked the secret for updos looking great on me.

same here I have been thinking of having a fringe/bangs cut back in to soften the look. I feel like the evil bun woman some days, no matter how much I try I can never do loose updos, like their not tight, tight but not as loose as id like.

I normally just comb all my hair back to put it up, but a side parting looks quite nice and changes the look.

I have been good however and wore it up all the time for the last 6 weeks and my ends are no longer breaking and I am gaining those precious inches, instead of loosing them through breakage.

Pickelhaube
April 25th, 2011, 06:36 PM
When I want an updo to look pretty, I usually make a deep side parting and use a couple of bobby pins to make some side-swept bangs. I also like to take the fine "baby" hairs around my face and pull them in front of my ears. I think this gives updos a softer and more casual look.

I like using weird accessories in my hair, too. If the accessory is silly enough most people won't even notice the bun.

spidermom
April 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I thought I looked horrid at first, but I've gotten used to seeing myself in up-dos. Makeup helps, also earrings. I've also incorporated a ribbon into the style for interest. You are welcome to look at my "Spidermom tames the web" album for ideas; it's public.

xoerincolleen
April 26th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I know what you mean! I have a big forehead and a hopeless hairline (that's hidden by babyhairs and bangs :p) when my bangs were in the growing out stage and had to be clipped away I got myself used to wearing all my hair up, first with twin braids, then with a single, then with a half up, then with a normal all hair off my face/neck updo. Maybe that's something to try, with your bangs down? I moved on to next "step" when I was comfortable with wearing the last style. Oh, and makeup makes things a lot easier too, but you probably wear makeup already. I started wearing makeup at the same time as I started putting all my hair up so people were focusing more on the makeup than on my big forehead :p And accessories (flowers, bows, headbands, errings etc :))

I almost always wear my side bangs down, so I just need to figure out a way to make it look softer and better with my face. Yeah, I LOVE makeup, but maybe I'll try doing a different eyeshadow or something to complement the updo! And I'm sure your forehead looks fine :)