PDA

View Full Version : just bought coconut oil...

angela123
April 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM
what do i do now? like how do i apply it..
wet hair dry hair?
scalp ends? both?
i hope it helps my hair!

CaityBear
April 24th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I know some people use is for scalp massages. I usually use EVOO with castor oil. For coconut oil I usually use it on damp hair and apply to the length. But you can do it dry as well. Just be very careful of how much you use. I have fine/thin hair so a little bit goes a long way and my hair can look really greasy if I'm not careful.

Cimorene
April 24th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I slather a whole bunch of it all over my dry hair, let it soak in at least an hour, then wash & condition as usual. My hair is SO much softer afterwards! Plus, it smells fantastic.

The few times I've tried using it after washing my hair, it made it too greasy. Of course, I'm sure I used too much of it. :D

akuamoonmaui
April 24th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Yes, a little goes a LONG way. I can use it to tame my frizzies during the day, but cross that line and it looks like you haven't washed your hair in a week and a half.

Some people go whole hog and then wash/rinse out. Others use it lightly, I tend to use it sparingly. A lot of times I will apply it when my hair is damp/wet, it typically doesn't make my hair look greasy and is a great conditioner.

The coconut smell doesn't last either (for good or bad).

HintOfMint
April 24th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I use a dab (JUST a dab) on damp hair. I also sometimes mix a bit with honey and my conditioner. It's really easy to overdo the oil though, so save experimenting for days when you can rewash or put it up.

Slinks
April 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I use the coconut oil from the ears down :-) and slather it on the ends .. ETA: overnight ..

Qadupae
April 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I used to use it the night before shampooing to make my hair softer and stronger. Just did a little bit all over my hair and braided it so I could sleep without getting oil on the pillow cases ^_^ I know some people here also add it to their shampoo so that its not as harsh and for their hair to be softer.

WaterMusic
April 25th, 2011, 12:10 AM
If you want to use it as a leave in, nick it with your fingernail, and melt that little bit in your palms, and run it over your hair. More than that is usually too greasy.

CurlyZ
April 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I soak my dry hair in it, wrap it in a warm damp towel (micowave), leave it in for a couple hours, then wash it out with warm water and cone free condish.
I tried to wash it out with shampoo once, but couldn't get it out.
Good luck with your oiling and post results!

Anje
April 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Tiny itty-bitty dab spread on hands, then patted on hair length and ends when it's damp or dry. The goal is to not put in so much that the hair looks greasy, and leave the oil in (adding more if needed) til the next wash.

The other favorite method is to melt it and smear it on dry hair in large quantities, til hair is pretty saturated with oil. Leave it on for a few hours, then wash it out. (Conditioner right on the dry-oily hair is usually the best way to get it to all come out.) Makes for a good pre-wash treatment.