PDA

View Full Version : How can I get tight curls without heat?

ArienEllariel
April 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Ok so I know this is a bit crazy but I just realized how good my hair looks with tight looking wavy to curly hair. I did the whole double french braids to dry thing for Easter and it worked out really well. The only thing is well.. I want more curl now, less wave. Can I accomplish that without heat and chemicals? How?

I once did pin curls and ended up looking like shirley temple. I was going more for something like 3b/3c. Examples: GRU, Sofoulee, Quixii (I know she's a 3a but whatever, I love her hair!!).

Any advice? :o

Edit: I've also tried sock curls. Didn't work for me plus the result if it had worked would have been big soft waves...

soni92
April 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y

:cheese:

hope that helps!!!

dulce
April 24th, 2011, 08:34 PM
try adding some[not a lot] setting gel or the likes while wet, then air dry and if you have naturally curly hair you should get very defined curls..do not touch or blow dry during air drying or after..if you aren't really naturally curly do the above but put gelled hair up in a top bun or for even tighter curls use a bun on top of head and one lower down-when dry let down..this has worked for me-

rogue_psyche
April 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Depending on how long your hair goal is, Curformers (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Curlformers/SBS-473030,default,pd.html) may work of you. The extra long and wide is optimal for waist length and shorter, but I make do with my hip length hair (I twist the roots and the curlformers start at my ears).

I have very curl resistant hair, and these work better than a hot iron for me.

Joribear
April 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y

:cheese:

hope that helps!!!

That is awesome! :cheese: Now I have something to do with all those mismatched socks from the wash! :)

MonaLisa
April 25th, 2011, 06:05 AM
If you want them to last, instead of heat or hair spray, you can use a bit of beer. It's confirmed...make curls last and gives shine + I think it's really healthy/good for hair! So cheers :D

QMacrocarpa
April 25th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Maybe this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIprpy4TTYc

apynip
April 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have heard of people using straws to curl hair with but that will give you the tight kinky curls.

Just wrap the hair around a straw and slip a bobby pin on the side of the straw and make sure the end of the end of the hair is secure. best results come from damp but not dripping hair and left in all day/ night.

or careful rag curls work great.

Siaraven
April 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM
You can also cut a pillow case in long fabric strips and do rags, they stay in for ages with this method so its good for especially hard to curl hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxgwbWc5Yiw

The video is a little dark but still gets the method across.

Loved the sock video by the way! I wonder if primark sell blondey coloured socks...? Hehe.

Pantsless Amy
April 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I tried to sock bun curls last night. I really wanted them to stay so I even put some gel in my hair when I wet my hair. This morning I had some curls. Not as dramatic as the video, but pretty good for me. An hour later they were gone, now my hair just has more body. :shrug: I'm not quite sure where I went wrong. maybe my hair is just not meant to be curly :cry:

Lianna
April 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
You could try bantu knots (http://www.perfectlocks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/knots1.jpg) too. Always when curling (any method), don't forget to lightly finger comb after.

Jimothea
April 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
What I've noticed works best is being very deliberate about the section sizing. Rag curls would be ideal for this because they're comfy for sleeping and don't require heat, but I have problems with the tips coming out all wonky (I think this will probably get better with practice though)...the best thing I've found for tight, tight curls is tin foil. The concept is the similar to rag curls, just more inconvienient, lol, because they're not good for sleeping.

Cut chunks of tin foil (I do sections about four by seven inches, but my hair is only shoulder lenght, and very thin, so you may have to tinker with the sizes), and then roll the peices neatly, say around a pencil or something smaller, depending on the size of curl you want. Then wrap small squares of damp (preferably lightly oiled or leave-in-conditioned) hair, say 1 by 1 inches, from the ends up to the roots. Fold/tie the tin foil ends over each other close to the head. Leave until dry. Remove very very carefully. Since your hair is pretty thick you probably won't even need to separate the curls. Oh ya, and definitely do not brush. LOL. Learned that the hard way (der!).

Issues: you can't let the tin foil flatten out of the rolls at all, or your hair will go "wonky." So no sleeping. Also takes a while to dry... (If you so chose though, this works great for heat; I know from the thread title you don't want to do that but it does cut drying time, if you don't mind cooking your hair...eeek!)

Upsides: Results are great, I think, and worth the work if it's only once in a while. Since the foil holds shape you'll be able to control the size/direction of the curls really easily. Also--I know we have different hair types, but this lasts on my hair literally until I wash it. I have a whitey-fro for at least a week! (love love love!)

Have fun!

principessa1984
April 25th, 2011, 01:38 PM
simple. Just braid you hair into more braids (wet) and put a roller on the end of each braid. In the morning, you'll have curls galore!

Lemur_Catta
April 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM
What I've noticed works best is being very deliberate about the section sizing. Rag curls would be ideal for this because they're comfy for sleeping and don't require heat, but I have problems with the tips coming out all wonky (I think this will probably get better with practice though)...the best thing I've found for tight, tight curls is tin foil. The concept is the similar to rag curls, just more inconvienient, lol, because they're not good for sleeping.

Cut chunks of tin foil (I do sections about four by seven inches, but my hair is only shoulder lenght, and very thin, so you may have to tinker with the sizes), and then roll the peices neatly, say around a pencil or something smaller, depending on the size of curl you want. Then wrap small squares of damp (preferably lightly oiled or leave-in-conditioned) hair, say 1 by 1 inches, from the ends up to the roots. Fold/tie the tin foil ends over each other close to the head. Leave until dry. Remove very very carefully. Since your hair is pretty thick you probably won't even need to separate the curls. Oh ya, and definitely do not brush. LOL. Learned that the hard way (der!).

Issues: you can't let the tin foil flatten out of the rolls at all, or your hair will go "wonky." So no sleeping. Also takes a while to dry... (If you so chose though, this works great for heat; I know from the thread title you don't want to do that but it does cut drying time, if you don't mind cooking your hair...eeek!)

Upsides: Results are great, I think, and worth the work if it's only once in a while. Since the foil holds shape you'll be able to control the size/direction of the curls really easily. Also--I know we have different hair types, but this lasts on my hair literally until I wash it. I have a whitey-fro for at least a week! (love love love!)

Have fun!

I second this! My mother put the tin foil in my hair, she made something like 50-60 pieces :D My hair is normally hard to curl, but with no heat and a little mousse when it was damp, my hair was curly until I washed it (and combing the tangles out was AWFUL).
I also slept on them. I wrapped my head in a silk scarf and slept...it wasn't very comfortable but my curls didn't come out wonky :)

JadeTigress
April 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I bought some curlers at wal-mart that work really well for me. My hair doesn't like to hold curl at all, but these get it super curly.

They're like a mix almost between curling with rags and foam rollers. It's basically a little piece of foam over a wire, so you have something to roll the hair on to make it easier, but it's covered in cloth so you don't get the hair sticking and tangling all over the foam (atleast that's what mine does when I use regular foam rollers). You roll it up, and then since the ends are flexible you just twist them together to hold the curler in. They're very soft and hold well (you obviously have to use a lot more of them the longer and/or thicker your hair is). I can sleep in them without any sort of cover, and they'll still be in pretty much the same place the next day, albeit slightly more frizzy. :p

They're like my favorite curlers ever. They make my hair huge, and when I comb through (as long as I do it gently) the curls don't pull out and end up as waves, it's still just as curly.

RitaPG
April 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Rag Curls all the way :D
I learned the trick from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ2QGq0n4A except instead of using paper bags, like she does, I use bits of fabric instead.

fluffypuffy
April 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
What I know to be effective is this: either put some sort of curl definer in your hair and scrunch (I've used Aveda's Be Curly), or wrap various strands tightly around a finger as they dry. Basically, bother your hair :)

Slinks
April 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I have done pipe cleaners in the past :-) they work well, I used mousse to hold the curls and the second day I would sweep it up into a half updo before washing it out on the third day ..

PaisleyVixen
April 25th, 2011, 11:42 PM
http://http://youtu.be/WoZ2QGq0n4A

Aaroo
April 26th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Here in Iran, some people apply tragacanth solved in water to the damp hair, and rub the whole hair between the hands ( for the hair that has the capacity to form curls, which I thing yours should have) and leave it to dry.

The curls are beautiful and stable!

QueenTifa
May 2nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
yay! I think I found the one for you! ^_^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0L8Dgr1R2A
It's super cute haha, not sure how it will look for straight hair, but I think it should be the same.

MaraJSkywalker
May 3rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
I use sponge rollers and sleep in them over-night. (Ouch! :p ) The next morning, instead of unrolling the rollers out of my hair, I pull them straight out, and it leaves me with a spring-shaped curl. After taking out all the rollers, I brush the curls all at once. It's a lot more poof then curl after this, but if your hair falls as fast as mine does, most of the poof should be gone in a few hours.

spitfire511
May 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Just throwing in one more here. I used to (when it was still long enough :( ) do two rope braids when it was damp and sleep that way. That's how I got the spirals that are in my siggy. But you have to make sure they're REALLY dry before taking it out. If they're still damp, the curl sags right out. :) Just another idea. Good luck!

Krentje
May 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Sorry if it has been suggested already: 4 tight rope braids in damp hair do the trick for me!

Curls hold for 2 days, 3rd day it looks more like waves.
Divide your hair in 2 parts, like you are going to make pigtails. Than, divide each part in an 'upper part' and an 'underlayer part'. Make 4 rope braids, sleep till its dry :).

Lollipop
May 3rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Torrin Paige has an awesome soft set video on youtube. YOu can do rag curls like she does her soft set if you don't have those type of curlers.

tigereye
May 4th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Have you ever used rollers? I hate velcro rollers because they kill my hair. What I do is take my old hot rollers. Don't run away though, because you are NOT GOING TO HEAT THEM UP. Just mist your hair with water to make it slightly damp and roll up the small-medium curlers and hold with claw clips. Repeat all over your hair and leave as long as you ilke. If you can sleep on it, you can even let the curls set overnight. The reason I use my hot rollers instead of Velcro ones, is that they have a smooth covering over the curlers, so it causes less damage to my hair, and there is no Velcro to pull apart the curls.
I don't know if it still works though on my hair because it is quite a bit longer now.

breeanna92
May 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
use curl forrmers!! theres no heat required and they give you perfect curls everytime!! just google them.

Fufu
May 5th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Sock bun curls really works, I tried last night and today woke up with this.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/NoHeatCurls-5May2011-1.jpg

I didn't use sock, I used this hair accessory to use for High Bun. Link below,

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/350116471-free-shipping-Bun-Clip-Maker-Hair-Accessory-22-5cm-wholesalers.html

Firefox7275
May 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Someone on LHC (Articles section?) got great curls from simple three strand braids BUT two of the strands were fabric strips and one was hair.