PDA

View Full Version : Switching back to cones?

joiekimochi
April 24th, 2011, 08:21 PM
When I started my LHC journey a year ago, I was using SLS shampoo and cone-laden, protein-drenched conditioner on my hay-like, velcro hair. I have since ditched the sulfates and the cones for an entire year. During that time, my hair's condition improved vastly (you can see it in my album). However, the past few months have been pretty meh. Not awful, just really ordinary, like it couldn't improve any further.

However, last week I ran out of my usual cone-free conditioner and didn't have the chance to go out and buy it, so I grabbed my mom's conditioner which has cones (and was also the same conditioner that I used, to lousy results, before the switch). My hair felt so amazing! Like 1000x smoother, sleeker and shinier than when I used cone-free conditioner!

Has anyone switched from cone-free back to cones after a long period and experienced something similar? If so, was the switch permanent, or did the cones cause buildup over time and make it necessary to switch back to cone-free again?

danacc
April 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I was no-cones for 2 years, and recently switched back. I noticed that I had more split ends and damage, especially near the ends while on a no-cone routine.

I started using cones again about a month ago, so I'm not sure what will happen long-term. So far, I'm enjoying the extra slip and smoothness that cones give.

I'll be watching this thread with interest, too.

HintOfMint
April 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I've been no-cones for about two years, but I recently moved to NY and experienced my first horribly dry and cold winter in years, so I had to return back to cones. It was the only thing that sealed in moisture.

I don't think I'll ever leave, to be frank. I think I had gotten so used to cone-free, that I had forgotten how smooth and shiny hair can be with it. There is a softness to cone-free that can't really be reproduced with cones though. Ah well.

luxepiggy
April 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Cone free was such a struggle for me . . . come back to the cone side! You know you want to (^(oo)~)

Lianna
April 25th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I did practice CO for several months, almost a year. I just used a coneless conditioner and oiled. Now I'm back to sulfates and cones (I mainly wanted the sulfates back) for quite a few months, maybe 4 or 5. At first I didn't notice much difference with the conditioner, I'd use cones or no cones...Now that I have a new coney conditioner I'm noticing a lot more shine, so I'll stick to that.

Gilly
April 25th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I went back to cones for a short while a few weeks/months back, at first it really seemed to help my hair but then it becam so much dryer and was looking like cotton candy all the time, I am now back to SLS free shampoos, cone free conditioners and I make sure that nothing I put on my hair has cones in it, I think I am finally starting to make progress with it, I have had to start doing a LOT of protein treatments but its at last starting to resemble hair rather than cotton candy, (this is not an exageration at all) I want definition!!!

Firefox7275
April 25th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Have you tried clarifying in case the 'meh' is build up? If it isn't go back to cones for a while, you can always cycle on and off if that suits your hair best.

pepperminttea
April 25th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Come back to the dark side! :demon: :D When I use 'coney shampoo/condish regularly I find it's too heavy, and I get build-up very quickly. So I stick to 'cone-free shampoo/condish, and then just use a pea-sized blob of 'coney leave-in on my hair while it's damp. A little 'cone goes a long way! :) I get all the lovely slip and none of the build-up and dryness issues.

Gilly
April 25th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Have you tried clarifying in case the 'meh' is build up? If it isn't go back to cones for a while, you can always cycle on and off if that suits your hair best.
I did clarify often when I was using them as my hair was feeling really coated, I am going to try and only use things like Panacea salve to keep things in check!

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I am going to say clarify your hair and try one more time no cones, if its still the same go back to cones; its no biggie. I use what evers available, I have been on conefree for a month now but only because the coneless conditioners in the UK are cheaper.

Be prepared for your hair to get greasy quicker if you switch.

eta-sorry just seen you have clarifyed, how about a ACV rince then?

halo_tightens
April 25th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I was cone-free for quite a while after joining the LHC. As my hair has gotten longer, though, I'm happier using cones again. I need that extra slip to keep tangles at bay.

RitaPG
April 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I go on and off silicones. Not because of the shine (mine looks better cone-free) but because my fine hair is horribly prone to tangles.
So, even if I'm currently on a CO routine with cone-free conditioners, I still admit to using conditioners LOADED with cones sometimes.

I did use silicone conditioners before LHC, and for a while after joining too, and I never had buildup issues.

dulce
April 25th, 2011, 05:15 PM
1 guess what works for some doesn't others-cones really agree with my hair-tried without and my hair definitely did not look as good-

Delila
April 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I've never been big on reading labels. I just use whatever my hair and scalp seem happy with.

For me, that seems to mean shampoo on my scalp, and conditioner and cream rinse on my length, with styling products if I feel motivated.

Basically the same routine I had before I ever found LHC, but with the added benefit of years of experiments trying other stuff, and KNOWING that this is what actually works for me.

I'd probably be happy with herbal cleansing, truth be told, but it's too much hassle for regular use, at least in my life.

ScarlettAdelle
April 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I tried no cones for a while... My hair tangles like no other. Fine, curly and damaged from over a decade of abuse. When it's virgin, I may attempt a cone free existence again, but I'm not sure.

Mrspuddinhead
April 25th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hello I'm a newbie and I've been reading over this thread and I was wondering if one of ya'll would be so kind what are cones??

Mrspuddinhead
April 25th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hello I'm a newbie and I've been reading over this thread and I was wondering if one of ya'll would be so kind to answer my question. what are cones??

Mrspuddinhead
April 25th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I apologize. I didn't mean to post twice.

luxepiggy
April 25th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I apologize. I didn't mean to post twice.

Cones = silicones (^(oo)^)

If you encounter more terms you don't recognize, I find this list of definitions really helpful - I still refer to it a lot :p
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

Cocoa_Crema
April 25th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I switch back and forth between them. I have cone free and cone conditioners in my shower. Often times I'll use a non-cone conditioner in my hair and then just seal the tips with a light cone conditioner.

pepperedmoth
April 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Has anyone switched from cone-free back to cones after a long period and experienced something similar? If so, was the switch permanent, or did the cones cause buildup over time and make it necessary to switch back to cone-free again?

Yep. My hair love, love, loves cones- I get the fabulous slip and shine you mention. However, over time they cause buildup and my hair becomes absolutely limp and flat and I hate it. The only thing that will clear the buildup is sulfates, and my hair HATES sulfates and will become straw-like and crispy after only a few washes.

So . . . I have to stay away from the 'cones. I'll still use 'em once in a while for a special occasion to get the results you speak of, and just let the buildup erode slowly over time with my usual routine. Sigh.

Jeni
April 25th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I went no cone for a little bit a few months back when I accidently bought conditioner without cones. It actually worked way better for me then it had last year when I tried, no idea why. I did notice that my hair would tangle really bad if I wanted to wear it down so I started to use some cone leave in on the ends. That helped though I noticed my hair still felt kind of dry at the ends.

The last time went to get some conditioner I couldn't find the stuff I was using so I went back to the Tresemme 24 hour Body I was using. My hair feels wonderful! I still use my cone leave in too (my hair doesn't really seem to get build up, I use an SLS free shampoo currently...) and my hair doesn't tangle near as much as before. Its actually fun to wear down! It is nice to know if I want to go cone free I can, if I dont that is fine too. I like having easy going hair! I can wash every day with SLS shampoo and my hair stay s soft and shiny.

If you like your hair better with cones then use them. Same for if you like it more without cones. They're not the devil :P. I don't know if Ill go back to no cones, well that's not true I have a big bottle of my old cone free conditioner at my bf's...but when that's gone Ill probably replace it with a cone conditioner.

jasper
April 26th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I was cone free for close to a year and started using a conditioner with cones last month. My hair feels softer and smoother, but I don't really like that! With my fine hair, soft and smooth looks and feels like less volume to me and increased slip makes my hair slide out of up-dos and braids.

Lozzie
April 26th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I really enjoy switching back and forth. At the moment i am just doing CO with thin cheap condish on roots and coney condish from ears down. My hair does feel amazing but i think it has become a little drier on day 2 after washing. Have needed to oil more which is fine.

Mesmerise
April 26th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I still haven't figured out wheter cones are good, bad or neutral with my hair!! I just don't seem to see any difference when I use a conditioner with cones to when I don't. I think the problem is I'm switching back and forth a bit here...

I've decided to do a month CO using a cone-free conditioner and see what it does to my hair... then I may try something else! I just don't seem to get great slip with or without cones... grrr... my hair is annoying :p.

Oksana
April 27th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I've been using cones again for the last month (actually the conditioner that comes with hair dye...absolutely stuffed with cones :o) and my hair is feeling much more manageable.

WaitingSoLong
April 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM
When I use 'coney shampoo/condish regularly I find it's too heavy, and I get build-up very quickly. So I stick to 'cone-free shampoo/condish, and then just use a pea-sized blob of 'coney leave-in on my hair while it's damp. A little 'cone goes a long way! :) I get all the lovely slip and none of the build-up and dryness issues.

WHAT a great idea! I have been trying to find the perfect marriage of cones and non-cones.

To the OP: I went cone free when they stopped making my favorite conditioner I used for years. It was coney. I always got compliments on my shiny, silky hair and how healthy it was.

I have been cone-free for several months now. At first I tried other coney products and none gave the results my old condish had. The first few cone-free conditioners I used were awful. Then I found Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (GF3N). Finally my hair was soft again, but no shine and slip. So I added a shine enhancer (GF anti-frizz serum), which really REALLY helped. But alas, I think my hair likes cones.

I DO get build up, badly, and like someone else mentioned my hair really does not like sulfates and dries very easily. I cannot seem to clarify without sulfates. So I feel stuck.

I wanted to say one thing, tho. I noticed what seems like hundreds of posts on LHC in the last couple weeks about frizzy hair, dry hair, crunchy hair, etc. I think winter really takes a toll on hair and we all seem to be suffering from post-winter frizz (obviously excepting our Ozzies and those just going into winter). SMT's improved it a lot, but alas it is still frizzy.

I am wondering if I would do well with cones in the winter, and cone free in the summer.

SO, I bought a new bottle of coney conditioner and plan to do as the text quoted above says and use it as a leave in, which I do every wash anyway with the GF3N.

I was going to try CO for awhile with my cone-free stuff but I really miss the slip I had with cones. I only wash once or twice a week, but I know in summer I wash more due to yard work and a lot of dirt in my hair.

My shower is really just a science lab. I have learned that sodium laureth is better that sodium lauryl for the drying factor. I actually use 50/50 baby shampoo and coconut oil. The baby poo (snigger) is laureth. It seems like my hair will like one thing for awhile, then change its mind. I am wondering if the summer and winter need different regimes/products. Just a thought (that I took reallly long to say).

AMW
April 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Waitingsolong my hair is just like yours ... it likes one thing for awhile, then change its mind!

I went conefree for some time and that was nice but soon my hair was just not right so I went back to cones. Now I switching back and forth depending on how my hair feels! I do clarify once a week just in case =)

Copasetic
April 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I go back and forth all the time. Both work for me, but it really depends on the products. But if I found a coney product that worked wonders for my hair I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

NouvelleNymphe2
April 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I recently had a similar experience. 5 months of no cone, then wanted to use up some older high end coney products I couldn't bring myself to toss and WOW! My hair felt thicker, the ends looked great, and there was muuuch more shine and slip. I've since started using them on a regular. I also have some good no cone conditioners so I'm trying to fine an ideal routine. I'm trying CWC, SCC (Shampoo + no cone conditioner + coney conditioner) and I'll see what works best. What I do know is I want a combination of both for sure. I also have a good clarifying shampoo on hand when that becomes necessary.

Mrspuddinhead
April 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Cones = silicones (^(oo)^)

If you encounter more terms you don't recognize, I find this list of definitions really helpful - I still refer to it a lot :p
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

Oh, thank you sooo..... much!!! That is going to come in very handy. What shampoo's do you recommend using?? And where can I purchase them??

TheMechaGinger
April 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I cycle on and off and that works pretty well for me