PDA

View Full Version : Scalp pimples and (unrelated) foam rollers...

Miss Catrina
April 24th, 2011, 05:31 PM
1: Ever since I was little, I've gotten zits on my scalp. Back in the day they seemed to be more like little scabs out of nowhere, but now they are definitely zits, because (TMI), I can feel/HEAR them pop open if I squeeze them with my nails. They don't really bother me since I only notice if something (such as a comb) bumps one, but I have to think they're not helping my hair. In my mind, any part of my scalp busy being a zit, can't be busy growing hair. :p Has anyone had this? And is there a good fix?

2: Unrelatedly, I was wondering what the consensus was on here as to how damaging foam rollers are. Since they're sponges, I have to think they can temporarily dry out your ends, and obviously if you're not careful combing them out, you'll break hair. Is there anything else bad about them? Since I would otherwise be straightening my hair with an iron, do you think it's a good trade off?

kitmarlow
April 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM
foam rollers (especially if you wear them day after day) will rip out hairs and damage your scalp. I had to wear them for two weeks straight last fall for a play and there's a chunk of hair at the front of my head that's still growing out. definitely a better alternative to heat styling, but caruso steam rollers rock my world and it's definitely a good feeling to go to bed without any contraptions on my head.

Stub
April 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
pimples on the scalp is a condition called foliculitis. I have it too, all my life. Antibiotics can help clear it up but it usually comes back. It runs in families too. Going no-poo (baking soda/acv) really helped mine a LOT! But it was too drying for winter so I went to CO washing, and they came back with a vengeance. But my scalp is calming down again, I use baking soda about every 5 days, and CO on the third day out from a BS/ACV wash. The other days are just a water rinse (I can't shower without at least rinsing my hair!) or once in awhile I manage to ponytail it on top of my head and leave it alone.