PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, catnip, cassia, or henna - confused about color effect

shikara
April 24th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I am thinking of trying one of the above on my hair and am leaning toward catnip. From the reading I've done on each, I can't figure out how the color will be affected as I don't see my hair being blonde, brown, or reddish. The thought of 'yellow' for the catnip scares me, but I'm thinking of the smilies:D If anything, I guess my hair would be some type of very dark blonde, or 'ashish'. In the light, there may be some copperish 'sparkles' I see. Any suggestions?

Anje
April 24th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Catnip is the most rinse-out of the products you listed. It might add a bit of a yellowish-gold tinge to your hair, or you might not see anything at all. The color will probably wash out within a shampoo or two.

Cassia is more permanent, and the results also tend to be yellow-gold. It's too brassy for the taste of some blonds. Darker-haired folks rarely notice any color from it, though.

Henna is permanent (as in: if you don't like the color, it's best removed with scissors). It adds a red-orange pigment to hair that binds permanently. Different crops vary subtly in the warmth/coolness of the red they impart, but in general the first application will glow orange for about 3 days before settling down to a deeper, richer color, and multiple layered applications tend to take on a more cherry or burgundy tone. It doesn't lighten hair, but typically even the very dark-haired will notice some red glow to their hair in the sun after using henna. If you're not sure you want red hair, don't use it; as someone here said, you don't flirt with henna, you marry it. For reference, the hair in my signature picture is henna over naturally red-brown hair.

Springlets
April 24th, 2011, 04:33 PM
It depends on what you want colors to bring out. If you want blonder, cassia and catnip will probably have only a minimal effect as their dyes are pale yellow/gold and don't really show up unless your hair is very light. Cassia is supposed to be make your hair stronger and thicker, and catnip is known for its conditioning.

Pure henna on the other can be used to give you red tints. It can be mixed with other things like amla to make it darker (auburn or mahogany) or cassia to make it lighter (strawberry blonde). It can't make your original hair lighter, and the color will be permanent (can't get it out with Color Oops, and such). It will make your hair stronger and thicker and the effects will last longer than they do with cassia.

Panth
April 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I would suspect that catnip would do little to your hair as, as far as I know, the colour it imparts is a yellow. Anyone who is dark blonde or darker is unlikely to see much change. The true yellows that have been obtained were on people with pure white hair.

Having said that, it's been a while since I read up on catnip and I was after the strengthening effect, not the colour. The absolute best person to ask about catnip is ktani. Perhaps send her a PM or check out her blog?