PDA

View Full Version : Don't know if I'm 1b or 1b/1c : can you help me ?

Freyariane
April 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Hi everybodyl! :)

Here's my "problem" (which is not a big one don't worry). As I said on the title, I don't know if I am a 1b or 1b/1c, can you help me to find it out ?

My hair seem most of the time 1b. At least on the top.
But they also sometimes make ringlets around the neck and the temples. They are also more "wavy" below than on top... But it's not always the case.

Here is a picture so you can see that my hair is(?) 1b :

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7709&pictureid=101068

I'd really like to have your opinion, thanks! :) :flower:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7709&pictureid=101068

pepperminttea
April 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM
If that's your hair air-dried and unbrushed, I'd say you were a 1b. Was it though? (You're a lucky wotsit if it is. ;) )

louisemg82
April 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
If that's your hair air-dried and unbrushed, I'd say you were a 1b. Was it though? (You're a lucky wotsit if it is. ;) )
I'm with pepperminttea here. If that's you unbrushed you're a 1b.

ingvild
April 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I think it's so hard telling 1b and 1c apart! I think you're more of a 1b though.

Siiri
April 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM
From that picture it looks like a 1b.

Roscata
April 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'd say 1b. :D

Freyariane
April 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for replying pepperminttea, louisemg82, ingvild, Siiri and Roscata! :) That's it!!! Air-dried and unbrushed :) But combed :p

Ok it is what I thought, I'm more 1b... But isn't it strange that I have sometimes ringlets? Maybe it's because they are "Fine"?
(Can you explain what does "wotsit" means? I'm completely clueless about that word...:o)

MissManda
April 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Your hair looks like a 1b in the photo, but since you said your hair was combed, you could be a 1b/1c. I know I lose my slight waviness when I comb or touch my hair before or just after it has fully air-dried.

I also have trouble telling the difference between 1b, 1b/1c, and 1c... :o

Siiri
April 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Ok it is what I thought, I'm more 1b... But isn't it strange that I have sometimes ringlets? Maybe it's because they are "Fine"?
(Can you explain what does "wotsit" means? I'm completely clueless about that word...:o)

I don't think all hair fits into the hair typing system, so it's not abnormal. Are they cowlicks by the way, I have two in my hairline that sometimes look like spiral curls (when they were longer)?

You should take a photo where you have not done anything to your hair after shover (not rubbed it with towel or finger combed etc.) to be sure. You can comb it when you have the conditioner in your hair in the shover, and let it drip dry after shover.

Freyariane
April 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Your hair looks like a 1b in the photo, but since you said your hair was combed, you could be a 1b/1c. I know I lose my slight waviness when I comb or touch my hair before or just after it has fully air-dried.

I also have trouble telling the difference between 1b, 1b/1c, and 1c... :o

It's exactly what happens to me!!:o

I don't think all hair fits into the hair typing system, so it's not abnormal. Are they cowlicks by the way, I have two in my hairline that sometimes look like spiral curls (when they were longer)?

You should take a photo where you have not done anything to your hair after shover (not rubbed it with towel or finger combed etc.) to be sure. You can comb it when you have the conditioner in your hair in the shover, and let it drip dry after shover.

Yes I think it's what I'm going to do... I'll take a picture and post it. In this way you should better see what hair type it is. (How stupid! I've washed my hair today! I could have done it today...)

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 05:32 AM
your hair isn't straight enough to be a 1a but you don't have distinct S shapes which determine wave. Your photo looks like its been been combed or brushed and going off that id agree with 1b, however next time just clarify no conditioner when your typing and no combing, manipulation nothing until its dry (and youve taken a photo!) I am going to guess you could get in the 1c range verging the 2's!

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 05:34 AM

you do not use conditioner when typing your hair, the best way is to clarify and leave well alone until dry. Adding conditioner can give a false representation of hair type.:)

Mesmerise
April 25th, 2011, 05:37 AM
1a is pretty much dead straight hair, and yours has a bit of wave. However ringlets would denote curlier hair, probably a 2a at least.

The thing with hair is that it isn't necessarily uniform all over, mine definitely isn't! I call myself 2a, but I have bits that are closer to 1c and others that are probably 2c!!

Freyariane
April 25th, 2011, 05:57 AM
your hair isn't straight enough to be a 1a but you don't have distinct S shapes which determine wave. Your photo looks like its been been combed or brushed and going off that id agree with 1b, however next time just clarify no conditioner when your typing and no combing, manipulation nothing until its dry (and youve taken a photo!) I am going to guess you could get in the 1c range verging the 2's!

Yes on that photo I'm air-dried but combed. And I had also conditioned my hair...
The next time I wash my hair, I'll not use conditioner. I will post a picture in this thread (air-dried without combing) so we'll see :)
This will be on this Wednesday. :)

@Mesmerise: You're right! It's not very easy to know what is exactly our hair type because we don't have same hair throughout the entire hair. I really think some times I'm more 1b/1c than 1b ^^

Lianna
April 25th, 2011, 06:02 AM
you do not use conditioner when typing your hair, the best way is to clarify and leave well alone until dry. Adding conditioner can give a false representation of hair type.:)

So does totally stripped hair. When I first read the hair type article I thought it was without conditioner, maybe I read it wrong or it was edited, but conditioner is "allowed" now.

My hair dried without conditioner is actually much straighter. My hair dried with conditioner without cones too (than with cones), so it's all the "oposite" of what should be I think. The diference is slight, but is there.

Comb makes a HUGE diference for me...I can look 1c/2a combed when in fact I'm 2c/3a...my hair is actually 2b and 3b in some parts. So, OP, I'd suggest try again with untouched hair (conditioner and without so you see if there's any difference). Specially because you see curlier bits. It might not make a difference but you'll know at least.

The picture looks 1b to me.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 06:12 AM
^^ adding conditioner can hide a multiple of sins, this is how on LHC we have always typed our hair. By adding conditioner you are covering up your natural hair type, therefore it can not be typed properly. We only type normally when we first join and clarifying is part of a normal routine, so best to type hair when your hair has build up so you are not "stripping" the hair for no reason

you have actually answered your own question here " My hair dried without conditioner is actually much straighter. My hair dried with conditioner without cones too (than with cones), so it's all the "oposite" of what should be I think. The diference is slight, but is there." which is what i was getting at! :) and of course you are free to do what you want with your hair, this is a hair forum we give ideas not tell you what you "must" do!

to OP I am looking forward to seeing your photos, with spirals you are entering wurly zone!

Freyariane
April 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've done it today !!

So here we are:

Hair washed without conditioner, air-dried, combed when wet but uncombed when dry:
HAIR TYPE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7709&pictureid=101270)
It seems that I'm clearly just 1b ^^

I take this opportunity to show you my hair length problem (which makes my hair appear thinner than they really are):
Hair problem 1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7709&pictureid=101271)
Hair problem 2 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7709&pictureid=101273)
Hair problem 3 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7709&pictureid=101272)

Mesmerise
April 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Ahh you say in your caption that it was combed when wet... do you mean when you were in the shower, or when you were out? Because in true hair typing once your hair is out of the shower, you shouldn't comb it AT ALL (I know...it's hard to do lol)...but just simply don't touch it and leave it perfectly alone (which is really hard to do when getting dressed lol). Even combing your hair when it's wet can affect the curl pattern!

However, I don't think it's really too much of a big deal, because who really cares what our hair is like when we haven't done anything to it at all! I think it's a bit more representative of our "true" hair when we DO comb it, because I think everyone does when they finish washing (I guess?!). It looks from your pic very much a 1b, so I'd stick with that classification.

Fufu
April 27th, 2011, 03:47 AM
1b :) Beautiful hair you have, adore your hair color.

Freyariane
April 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Ahh you say in your caption that it was combed when wet... do you mean when you were in the shower, or when you were out? Because in true hair typing once your hair is out of the shower, you shouldn't comb it AT ALL (I know...it's hard to do lol)...but just simply don't touch it and leave it perfectly alone (which is really hard to do when getting dressed lol). Even combing your hair when it's wet can affect the curl pattern!

Yes I combed it when I was out of the shower... Pff!
It's very hard to do not to comb it at all :/ I thought it was just to comb when dry that we mustn't do:confused:!

Thank you very much Fufu !!! :)

spidermom
April 29th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Good grief! Without conditioner, my hair-type would be scarey, woolly witch.

bellawave
April 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Good grief! Without conditioner, my hair-type would be scarey, woolly witch.

LOL! In my case, "ratty broom." Forget getting a comb through it in that state though! :pumpkin:

Siiri
April 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM
It looks like 1b.

^^ adding conditioner can hide a multiple of sins, this is how on LHC we have always typed our hair.

I admit I'm a bit confused about this, since in the article on how to type your hair it is clearly said you CAN use conditioner. But many people here say you shouldn't. I figured the article has the "official LHC" hair typing instructions. If it's wrong maybe it should be corrected? Anyway, I haven't noticed much difference in my hair type either way.

xoxophelia
April 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM
To me you look like a very definite 1b.

BrightEyes7
April 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
It looks 1b to me... but then again you combed. So you're probably 1b/1c or even 1c.