PDA

View Full Version : Okay, time for an update!

Paladin
April 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
EDIT: Posted an update here -- http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1608194#post1608194

Hi all,

A few people asked that I post updated pictures of my regrowth efforts with my new regimen, so here are a few I've taken since January 1st, the day after my last #1 buzzcut. I've been growing it without trimming at all since then and as I mentioned, my new hardcore regimen has caused my hair to make a HUGE turnaround. I truly think it will look, feel, and just flat-out BE awesome when it gets long again!

Sometimes you just have to admit to yourself that things aren't going so well, and that's what happened to me, I finally accepted that my hair was thinning badly and sucked up my pride and started over, on this new regimen including such things as Minoxidil.

In the end it will be well worth it. I suppose it already is!

First, here is a comparison pic, similar pose, between me in November when my hair was long, and me now after almost 4 months of growth from the final buzz. Some of you may remember that I was quite self-conscious about my big forehead and naturally high hairline...

November, long hair:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/me06.jpg

Tonight, about 15 minutes ago:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/Menew.jpg

Now, here is a progression of pics starting from January 1st 2011, the day after I last buzzed my head with a #1.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/MeJan.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/MeJanBack.jpg

It's pretty clear from those that I was thinning pretty badly, especially at the crown area. Now, February, 1 month into my routine, you can also see how thin my hair was:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/MeFebTop.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/MeFebSide.jpg

Now, here I am tonight, almost 4 full months into my routine which admittedly has NOT been consistent (I blew off taking Minox and supplements for a couple weeks in early Feb):

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/Menew1.jpg?t=1303606641

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/Menew2.jpg?t=1303606663

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/Menew3.jpg?t=1303606677

So what do you think? Am I on to something with my regimen or what?

God I can't WAIT until my hair is long again. This is going to be so awesome. :cheese:

Looking forward to your comments, good or bad.

jojo
April 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Wow! i see a definite improvement and wow again, brilliant growth!

Hope you don't mind me saying but your very handsome!

MonaLisa
April 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
it appears a lot thicker! I really don't like the buzz cut! In my opinion don't do that again! I love the look with long hair, and it's gonna be even better this time i guess :) Also it looks good now too!

Angeletti
April 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
It definitely looks a lot thicker, congrats : )

xoerincolleen
April 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
It looks a lot thicker!

Also, you kind of look like Sylvester Stallone.

gthlvrmx
April 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
forehead? Why are you worrying, you look handsome! :) I have a five head...my whole hand covers my forehead. I can see great growth :) Congratulations!

Debra83
April 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
Wow! i see a definite improvement and wow again, brilliant growth!

Hope you don't mind me saying but your very handsome!

It looks a lot thicker!

I agree with these guys!!! :D

Paladin
April 23rd, 2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

Hopefully things will continue to improve and my hair will further thicken over the next few months. I even have some new growth below my hairline and in the temple region where I've never had hair before, they're intermediate follicles for now but hopefully over time they will become terminal and "fill in" things a bit. I'm also getting more growth on the sides of my eyebrows which I've been trying to improve.

I did hate to buzz my hair completely off but considering how much different my hair is now, I think I made the right choice since the old hair was so much thinner and lightweight. I "wiped the slate clean" so to speak. I'll keep updating over the next few months. :)

HintOfMint
April 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Your hair looks much thicker, and if you don't mind me saying so, you're quite handsome.

Merkaba
April 23rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hahahahaha, sorry if this is inappropriate but the best thing about that picture was that I could see your butt in the mirror.

Athena's Owl
April 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Really? *scrolls back up*

insomniac-uk
April 23rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Its working your hair looks thicker :)

ericthegreat
April 23rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
You're a pretty good looking guy if I don't say so myself. Your body is in great shape, keep up whatever workout routine you're on. :)

As for your hair, it does look like its growing back thicker with the help of the minoxidil. And of course I know this is a long hair forum, but I have to say you do look great with a short haircut. It brings out your face very nicely.

Annie Fulton
April 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
My first thought with the first picture was that you look just like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast! But your hair looks great. I think it will grow out really nicely.

faerielady
April 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM
It is really nice to see men taking such good care of their hair! I think the new growth looks fantastic.

jojo
April 24th, 2011, 03:21 AM
It looks a lot thicker!

oh he does too, our very own look-a-likeie!

alwayssmiling
April 24th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Very nice! Definitely Sly stallone lookalikee. I don't see any problems with your forehead or hairline??

Firefox7275
April 24th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I like the buzz cut because, well, I have a thing for buzz cuts. :o Having said that long hair really suits you - not all guys can pull it off - and I'm totally blown away by how much your hair has thickened up in just a few months. As I work in the industry I admire the commitment you have made to workouts and healthy eating. :cool:

Paladin
April 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hahahahaha, sorry if this is inappropriate but the best thing about that picture was that I could see your butt in the mirror.

I lol'd... you like that huh :eyebrows:

Sly Stallone lookalike... never heard that one before but sounds good to me! :cool:

Another thing I've noticed from my regimen is that my facial hair has filled in a bit too and has become darker/more coarse. I was always sorta weak in that department... tried growing a 'stache once, let's just say it did not end well haha. Facial hair isn't really my thing though, but it is an interesting development.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys... nice to know I'm on the right track, with not only my hair but physique as well haha.

PurpleAshes
April 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Wow, it's looking great!

tinti
April 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Wow, that's some great progress! Your hair looks so much thicker and fuller now.

princessp
April 24th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yes I definitely see it too congrats!

RitaPG
April 24th, 2011, 05:12 PM
My first thought with the first picture was that you look just like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast! But your hair looks great. I think it will grow out really nicely.

I thought the same :p

Holy crap you have a LOT more hair now. That routine seems to be working. Keep it up :)

HeatherJenae
April 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I think this is a great post. We see so few posts from LHC male members. I think that your hair is definitely thicker. Has anyone commented on it when they see you in person? Do the results motivate you to stick with your routine?

Paladin
April 24th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks again guys!

I think this is a great post. We see so few posts from LHC male members. I think that your hair is definitely thicker. Has anyone commented on it when they see you in person? Do the results motivate you to stick with your routine?

Yep almost daily I get comments and compliments from my co-workers about how much it's improved. A few people have even asked me for a detailed account of my regimen.

Seeing my hair bloom in front of my eyes like this definitely keeps me motivated and excited. The comments are just the icing on the cake.

ArienEllariel
April 24th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Lol glad I'm not the only one. Careful girls, don't scare the poor guy away.

Good looking hair progress if I do say so myself. ;)

Qadupae
April 24th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I can't really add anything original here, just had to agree with the masses that your hair is filling in very nicely and whatever your exercise routine, its doing you well also ^_^

ktijax
April 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Very nice!!!

(and the hair looks good too)

Paladin
April 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Oh I don't scare easily... :cool:

Was thinking about the Stallone reference and a girl at work today told me I look like Michael Wincott from The Crow, but with short hair. I guess we have a similar hairline, hopefully when my hair gets long it will look at least as good as his! He's got a nice mane.

I was thinking also of adding Pygeum to my anti-DHT stack of Saw Palmetto extract and Nettle Root extract... NOW sells a combo I think. Y'all think it would be worth upping the stakes with my regimen a little and adding another supp?

Paladin
May 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to add a couple more pics! I took two today and am also posting a pic of my thin long hair from October of last year for comparison.

Here are the two pics from today -- one of the front and one of the back. This is my first attempt at wearing my new hair with it parted down the middle:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/May2011.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/May2011a.jpg

And here's a good pic that shows just how thin and lousy my pre-regimen hair was when it was long:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/EdwardNorth/Thinlonghair.jpg

After only 4.5 months of growth from a #1 buzz my hair looks like 3 times as thick as it used to be when it was long! I didn't realize the scope of the difference until I compared these pics. Unbelievable! I love the way it looks in the pic of the back... my head looks like a teenager's from the back haha.

Feels good man.

Wavelength
May 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Whatever you're doing, it's working! What is your regimen exactly, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious to know what's caused such a difference. Just the minoxidil or a combo of mino + supps?

annieangel149
May 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Good looking hair progress if I do say so myself. ;)

:lipssealed: :rollin: ..... that really is great! your hair looks good! im really looking forward to seeing more pics as it grows!!

Paladin
May 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Whatever you're doing, it's working! What is your regimen exactly, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious to know what's caused such a difference. Just the minoxidil or a combo of mino + supps?

I'm sure it's a combination of things... though I sort of threw it all together at once so I'm not sure which is doing what.

My regimen is:

Generic 5% minox twice daily
Nizoral 1% shampoo 3 times per week (was 2x but upped to 3 recently)
Saw Palmetto Berry Extract
Nettle Root Extract
Biotin
MSM
Fish Oil
Cayenne Pepper (ingested)
Orange Triad multivitamins
DE (started recently but have been inconsistent)

I also just started using MN (monistat) recently so hopefully it'll further enhance the growth and results.

SpinDance
May 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
It's working quite nicely. I think your hair looks darker, too. I look forward to more updates.

Cleopatra18
May 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Wow, your progress is truly amazing! It looks so thick from the back, very nice!

Paladin
May 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys! Onward and downward, as they say.

alyanna
May 18th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hey Paladin!
First off, you look great. Second, you hair looks great :D

Don't worry too much about having to "suck it up" and admit your hair was thinning. I saw a dermatologist over 10 years ago when my hair lost half its thickness. I'm a woman and I was 21 back then, so you can imagine how traumatic that was. My dermatologist told me I "probably" had AGA and recommended minoxidil 2%. She said it was the only thing proven to work.

I didn't want to do any such thing back then. I knew I wouldn't be able to use minoxidil if I got pregnant or wanted to breastfeed. And I knew it was something that once you start, you have to keep using it. So I did nothing. My hair just got thinner.

Finally, after having my two girls, and after I finished nursing DD2, I started my minoxidil regimen. That was this past March. During those past years, I've known of many people who use it: my aunt, my SIL, one of my best friends. They all had great things to say. They'd all seen derms and one of them even said, this is something you should use and NEVER STOP. Consider yourself investing in YOURSELF and your self-esteem. It's been proven safe and effective.

It's the best thing I've ever done. The shedding has stopped. I wasn't even hoping for new growth, just slow-down of the shedding. But lo and behold, I've got new growth!

So feel good about the minoxidil :) Men are supposed to have much better results too.

AnqeIicDemise
May 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM
My husband is jealous, fyi.. and wants your hair. Badly.

What have you been doing, if I may ask?

and.. we cross posted. XD Thanks for the info, by the way. I think that with this I can finally convince DH to go visit the doctor because Lord knows he has been fighting me tooth and nail on this. He even tried doing a buzz cut but hates the way he looks so he's just been keeping it short (and mind you, his hair was almost to classic when I met him. )

alyanna
May 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Oh I don't scare easily... :cool:

Was thinking about the Stallone reference and a girl at work today told me I look like Michael Wincott from The Crow, but with short hair. I guess we have a similar hairline, hopefully when my hair gets long it will look at least as good as his! He's got a nice mane.

I was thinking also of adding Pygeum to my anti-DHT stack of Saw Palmetto extract and Nettle Root extract... NOW sells a combo I think. Y'all think it would be worth upping the stakes with my regimen a little and adding another supp?

Actually, in my first reply I was gonna refer to this but decided my post was getting too long. Now I'll tell you what I think.

I think you should keep the minoxidil and get rid of everything else. Why? Because I believe that most of these great results you're getting are from the minoxidil and not from all the other supplements. {Edited to say, saw palmetto's been proven to work, especially, for men as well, and Nizoral is a great shampoo for thinning hair, but all the other stuff is unproven}

You probably don't want to be putting a million things on your hair and swallowing 16 pills a day for the rest of your life, do you? Once you've got a good idea about how one product is going, then you can add another, if that doesn't work, eliminate it and try the next product, etc. That way you can get a clear idea of what's working and what's not, and minimize the number of products/supplements that you're using.

Just my 2 cents.

Paladin
May 19th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Hey Paladin!
First off, you look great. Second, you hair looks great :D

Don't worry too much about having to "suck it up" and admit your hair was thinning. I saw a dermatologist over 10 years ago when my hair lost half its thickness. I'm a woman and I was 21 back then, so you can imagine how traumatic that was. My dermatologist told me I "probably" had AGA and recommended minoxidil 2%. She said it was the only thing proven to work.

I didn't want to do any such thing back then. I knew I wouldn't be able to use minoxidil if I got pregnant or wanted to breastfeed. And I knew it was something that once you start, you have to keep using it. So I did nothing. My hair just got thinner.

Finally, after having my two girls, and after I finished nursing DD2, I started my minoxidil regimen. That was this past March. During those past years, I've known of many people who use it: my aunt, my SIL, one of my best friends. They all had great things to say. They'd all seen derms and one of them even said, this is something you should use and NEVER STOP. Consider yourself investing in YOURSELF and your self-esteem. It's been proven safe and effective.

It's the best thing I've ever done. The shedding has stopped. I wasn't even hoping for new growth, just slow-down of the shedding. But lo and behold, I've got new growth!

So feel good about the minoxidil :) Men are supposed to have much better results too.

It's really no big deal. It only takes a few minutes to apply and I've figured out how to do it with the dropper in a way that hits the scalp directly without having to part my hair numerous times, so it's even easier.

The way I look at it is that it's just maintenance, such as brushing your teeth. You want nice teeth you have to put in the work every day, just like if you want nice hair. Besides, we already spend so much time on our hair every day that a few extra minutes is nothing! :cool:

My husband is jealous, fyi.. and wants your hair. Badly.

What have you been doing, if I may ask?

and.. we cross posted. XD Thanks for the info, by the way. I think that with this I can finally convince DH to go visit the doctor because Lord knows he has been fighting me tooth and nail on this. He even tried doing a buzz cut but hates the way he looks so he's just been keeping it short (and mind you, his hair was almost to classic when I met him. )

Wow, be sure to thank him for me because that's a big compliment. Tell him I wish him the best in his journey!

Actually, in my first reply I was gonna refer to this but decided my post was getting too long. Now I'll tell you what I think.

I think you should keep the minoxidil and get rid of everything else. Why? Because I believe that most of these great results you're getting are from the minoxidil and not from all the other supplements. {Edited to say, saw palmetto's been proven to work, especially, for men as well, and Nizoral is a great shampoo for thinning hair, but all the other stuff is unproven}

You probably don't want to be putting a million things on your hair and swallowing 16 pills a day for the rest of your life, do you? Once you've got a good idea about how one product is going, then you can add another, if that doesn't work, eliminate it and try the next product, etc. That way you can get a clear idea of what's working and what's not, and minimize the number of products/supplements that you're using.

Just my 2 cents.

Many of these supplements double as being useful for my fitness regimen so I take them anyway (Multi, cayenne, fish oil) and the only other topical I'm using besides Minox and Niz is the Monistat, which many people here have been getting amazing results with.

It's really no big deal, it only takes maybe 15-20 minutes of total daily effort to do this regimen (aside from shower time for the Nizoral) and I'm used to taking lots of supplements for my fitness routine. :cheese: