PDA

View Full Version : Questions for CO washers

RitaPG
April 23rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
I've been reading through the CO washing thread, trying to figure out what to try next, and I have a problem; the most mentioned brands don't seem to be availiable here. We don't have Aubrey organics, Aussie, Giovanni, Suave, VO5, Nature's Gate, White Rain.
We do have Jason, Garnier Ultra Mild, Tresemme, The Body Shop, Herbal Essences.
I know we have others but I can't really remember right now. :o
Anyway... I was wondering what else is out there that I don't know of.

* What conditioner/s do you use on your CO routine?
* Is it/ are they expensive?
* Cone or Conefree?

squintinschool
April 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Honestly, the easiest way for you to find out what's available in your area that's cone-free is to go to the drugstore/any place that sells conditioner and just read the labels. Especially since formulations often differ from country to country, what works is cone-free in Canada may not be cone-free in Portugal. Its tedious to search the shelves so, but its probably the quickest way to find a conditioner.

MissManda
April 23rd, 2011, 07:17 PM

Right now, I'm using V05 Calming Chamomile as my scalp-cleansing conditioner because the scent is mild and doesn't give me a headache and it is easy to distribute through my hair.

For the length, I'm currently using Everyday Shea Moisturizing Conditioner in the Unscented formula. Even though it doesn't have any slip on it's own, I don't have to worry about it because the V05 gives all of my hair plenty of slip. It is rather light and moisturizing and I love the fact that there is no added scent so it just smells like shea butter. :)

I've also had great results with:

Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (contains protein, works well on both scalp and length)
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (for length, moisture, and nice scent)
Tame Conditioning Cream Rinse (contains protein, need to experiment with more, but I like it so far)

Nope! I can get normal-sized bottles of V05 (15 oz), Tame (13 oz, only at Dollar Tree), and Suave (11-13 oz?) for $1.00 each. Since it takes me about a month and a half to go through a single bottle (I wash 2 or maybe 3 times a week) in about a month and a half, I don't have to worry about spending lots of money on my hair. They also sell 22 or 30 oz bottles of Suave for $1.99 at my local Bi-Mart.

I bought my 32 oz bottle of Everyday Shea for $9.99, which is a great price in my opinion. It would cost me nearly twice as much for the same amount of Nature's Gate conditioner that I was using previously. I love the huge bottle AND the pump because it lets me use the same amount of conditioner every time I wash and prevents me from using too much.

The most expensive conditioner that I've used is the AO Honeysuckle Rose (11 oz for $9.50), but even that can be deceivingly cheap because it is so thick and rich that a tiny bit goes a long, long way. In addition to that, I absolutely have to dilute it or else it will make my hair lank and piecey, so that makes it last even longer.

* Cone or Conefree?

All of the conditioners I use are 'cone-free. Since I have a finer hair type, 'cones weight my hair down and make it look lank and stringy, so I avoid them like the plague.

I hope that was helpful. :flower:

ETA: Whoops, you aren't in the US. :o My bad. Hopefully you'll be able to find something that works for you. You could also try ordering online.

supermanok03
April 23rd, 2011, 08:16 PM

I'm currently using Live Clean on my scalp, and slathering on Tresemme natural line on my length.
Live Clean is pricey, but I wait till the bottles go on sale then grab a few, then use them sparingly. I would never buy them at regular price! I got a giant bottle of Tresemme for $5.
* Cone or Conefree?
Conefree. My hair is nice without cones, so why bother with them? My hair also liked the Prairie Naturals line, so when I find a bottle of that conditioner on sale I'll finish my bottle of Tresemme and probably switch.

I've had a really good experience with the Tresemme natural silicone free conditioner, I use the one with aloe vera. My hair and been great; manageable and shiny and smooth when using that on the length. I slather it on and let it soak for a couple minutes, then rinse out. That's probably a good try since you have it available and the bottles are giant! I always buy my conditioner on sale and stock up.

|Xei
April 24th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I've read that the Tresemme Naturals (cone-free) is good for co-washing, so maybe you can check that one out.

RitaPG
April 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
All of the conditioners I use are 'cone-free. Since I have a finer hair type, 'cones weight my hair down and make it look lank and stringy, so I avoid them like the plague.

Funny you should mention this, my hair is on the fine side too and even if I don't use them all the time, I get along just fine with 'cones on the length.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :flower:

RitaPG
April 24th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Honestly, the easiest way for you to find out what's available in your area that's cone-free is to go to the drugstore/any place that sells conditioner and just read the labels. Especially since formulations often differ from country to country, what works is cone-free in Canada may not be cone-free in Portugal. Its tedious to search the shelves so, but its probably the quickest way to find a conditioner.

I am aware of that, I just want to know what else people have tried besides the usual brands.
Thank you :)

squintinschool
April 24th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I am aware of that, I just want to know what else people have tried besides the usual brands.
Thank you :)
Fair enough. I have used TRESSemme Naturals Conditioner (cone free, $4 for 700m mL on sale, $5.26 regular price), but since its rather expensive I've switched to Fruit Kicks down under Fine/Normal Conditioner. Its cone free, has a nice scent (pomegranate, unlike the All Types one which is kiwi), and $3.36 for a 1L bottle. On occasion I use Mane and Tail (when at my parents house), which is also cone free. I've also used the Live Clean conditioners (cone-free), but they are really expensive ($7-8 depending on the store for 600mL), so I don't buy them any more.

Living in Canada I've not seen Suave, V05, White Rain or Nature's Gate. I have seen Jason and Giovanni but they are way out of my price range. Garnier, Aussie, and Herbal Essences have cones in 99% of the stuff on the shelves here, and are still more expensive than Fruit Kicks.

*Aoife*
April 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure if VO5 is conefree in Portugal. In the Ireland (and the UK afaik) it has tons of cones in it.
I'm not sure what brands are good and cheap. I use Naked Care but I don't know if that is available. It's expensive but a little lathers a good bit so it goes a long way.

Cone free for sure! Imagine the build up you would get if you didn't wash out the cones often.

RitaPG
April 24th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure if VO5 is conefree in Portugal. In the Ireland (and the UK afaik) it has tons of cones in it.
I'm not sure what brands are good and cheap. I use Naked Care but I don't know if that is available. It's expensive but a little lathers a good bit so it goes a long way.

Cone free for sure! Imagine the build up you would get if you didn't wash out the cones often.

VO5 does not exist here :o Never heard of Naked Care, I'l have to look it up.
That puppy is adorable! ^^

*Aoife*
April 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Doh! I saw it in your first post >_< Damn mind :P