PDA

View Full Version : Vitiligo in Hair? Also, hello! :D

hsdoodles
April 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hi! I've been lurking this community for a few months but finally decided to join!!! I very much look forward to getting to know you wonderful folks. :cheese:

I have a question for you all. Do any of you have vitiligo in your hair??? I've had vitiligo for maybe six years now, and a few years ago while getting my hair cut we found a giant patch of white hairs!!! Here's the best picture we could get of it:

http://i54.tinypic.com/33f7vqc.jpg

I love my streak!!! :D The hairs aren't grey or course, they're white and very smooth. Since they're on an under part of my hair you can't really see them unless I have my hair in an updo, and then it's awesome. :)

Also, just for fun (and because everyone loves pictures!) here's how I did my sister's hair today. She's my guinea pig for hairdos, haha. :P

http://i51.tinypic.com/a2ae8m.jpg

Two rope braids roped together (A cable, I think??? IDK) and then bunned. We saw Jane Eyre today so I HAD to do some kind of braided bun for her. :cheese:

DoubleCrowned
April 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
The person I know with vitiligo has blond hair because of it. She was a towhead as a child as were her sisters, their hair changing from nearly white to soft brown as they grew older. However as her vitiligo spread, her hair turned blond again. It's very pretty.

Firefox7275
April 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Welcome! :)

vanity_acefake
April 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Welcome.
Your White streak is pretty cool.
:)
Btw your sisters updo is lovely.

Anje
April 23rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
I don't have it, but I know we have members with white areas of hair (sometimes including eyebrows and eyelashes) due to vitiligo. And of course, others that have streaks of gray simply because that's their graying pattern. Thanks to grad school, I'm working on one on the top of my head. It'll be a few more years before it's more than just a clustering of gray hairs though.

ArienEllariel
April 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Wow that looks really cool! I love white streaks. :D

hsdoodles
April 23rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hello, hello! :D

Anje,
Oooh, I'll be interested to see if any of those people comment here! I've never gotten to talk to anyone else with vitiligo in their hair.
I just think grey streaks are so pretty. At my age it must seem a little weird that I'm so excited about mine, haha. :cheese:

HintOfMint
April 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Too cool! It's a sneaky rogue streak! I dig it.

boudica
April 23rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
Where I come from we call that a blaze and it's a sign of good fortune! I have a friend who has a thumbprint shaped blaze on the back of his head - white like yours and not blonde.

Lucky lucky you!

hsdoodles
April 24th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Boudica,

Good fortune, eh??? :cheese:

CinnamonCurls
April 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Welcome Hsdoodles!!

I have had vitiligo since a too many hours spent in the sun swimming in a lake during a July 4th weekend. I had blisters all over my face and well, it was kinda gross when you are a 'tween'. Once I healed the most damaged skin was pure white. Lots of my freckles disappeared to pure white blotches and the spots continue to show up on my knees, armpits, inner thighs and stomach just like normal amongst most patients. (Now I am probably 45% pure white melanin free) Due to the spots on my face and up my back that concentrated on my neck, I was nicknamed "Dax" as a teenager, for 'Jadzia Dax' on StarTrek. (for those who want to know http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/JadziaDax.jpg) But just like you, I gradually found pure stark white streaks growing out in my hair. I've saved a few of the freakier strands that would go from white to color to white to color and back.

I was blessed with having them in really cool spots as a teen. One was at the nape of my neck so it was brilliantly obvious when I wore my hair up as it spiraled into my bun. The other two were symmetrically behind each ear and up a bit. Basically when I part my hair for a 'half-up' I could part each streak in half, showing half cascading down the length, and the other half streaked up into the style. We always referred to them as my "freak streaks" and I absolutely loved them....until I got older into my earlier 20's and I guess the two side ones migrated to my temples and it made me look prematurely 'gray' (since most people just assume I was prematurely gray and wouldn't know I had they were white and I've had them since I was actually 12)

Here you can see a tiny bit of front ones:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3177&pictureid=40142
You can't see the bulk of them due to the fact they got to be so bothersome (in making me look older when I was only not even 25) that I began to color them...only the shorties can be seen now since after a few attempts, the longer ones finally give up and submit to being a new color.

MrsGuther
April 25th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Holy Moly your hair is so beautiful! I love the white streak too! It looks so cool!

wvgemini
April 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
My fiance has a white patch right at his crown. When we first met, I thought it was a random grey patch but it's super soft and just white.

Starlight1986
December 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I have vitiligo all over my body but not that much in my hair. Only a few completely white single hairs. Don't know what to think of them yet. ^^