PDA

View Full Version : Comments? Tangle Teezer?

longcurlygirl<3
April 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Hello all :). I was just wondering is the tangle teezer worth the money? I have 3a/3b curls so would it get stuck like other brushes? Can it be used wet and not cause damage like brushing wet normally does? Any other information will be helpful also
Thanks in Advance :)

Madora
April 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
For the sake of your hair, never brush it when it is wet. It is at its weakest when wet.

Do a search on tangle teazer (on the Mane Forum or under the Conventional Products forum) and you'll find quite a bit of discussion about it.

Anje
April 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
For the sake of your hair, never brush it when it is wet. It is at its weakest when wet.
I'm going to argue with this, Mandora. It's true that hair is weaker when wet. It's equally true that someone with hair this curly will look like a cloud if they brush their hair when it's dry. For curlies, it's generally wisest to comb their hair (or brush with a wide-toothed brush, not a bristle brush) when it's fully saturated with conditioner for lubrication.

Concerning the Tangle Teezer -- I've heard from curlies who like it for their conditioner-filled hair or pre-wash brushing, and I've seen reviews from curlies who say it breaks their hair. I suspect it varies a bit person-to-person (like all haircare).

berr
April 23rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
i use my tangle teezer to distribute conditioners and oil through my length in the shower. Works well and cleans up nice.

Firefox7275
April 23rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm going to argue with this, Mandora. It's true that hair is weaker when wet. It's equally true that someone with hair this curly will look like a cloud if they brush their hair when it's dry. For curlies, it's generally wisest to comb their hair (or brush with a wide-toothed brush, not a bristle brush) when it's fully saturated with conditioner for lubrication.

I agree with the sentiment and love your terminology! :cool:

Toadstool
April 24th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I have thick coarse hair, and the tangle teaser wouldn't go through it, just kind of patted the top. I ended up giving it to my friend for her dog.

pelicano
April 24th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I have fine hair that's approx 2c. The Tangle Teezer is the only brush I will use when my hair is wet, although I do tend to use a wide toothed comb, just in case.

LittleOak
April 24th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I am in the same camp as pelicano. I will only use the tangle teezer through my hair when it's wet, I wouldn't dream of using anything else in either my wet or dry hair (before I would never brush my hair wet). I bought mine a couple of months ago unsure too whether or not it would work or if if was worth the money. I'm so glad I did now. I promptly bought the travel version soon after :)

lapushka
April 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I only use it when my hair's wet and it's magical at untangling. I have thick hair, and it takes more than a few strokes to get through my hair to untangle it all the way, but that's exactly what's so gentle about the TT and what makes it not pull (out) hair like even a wide tooth comb sometimes does. It's a much more gentle, evenly distributed "force" that's going through your hair to get the tangles out (and esp. when someone else does the brushing, it counts). It encourages gentle care, that's for sure! You cannot rip it through your hair like a normal brush.

PeacenQuietGal
April 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I have most certainly noticed less shedding with my Tangle Teezer over a seamless comb and my BBB. I use the Tangle Teezer both wet and dry. The only cons I have about it is: a. It tends to fly out of my hand occasionally. And b. Its waaaaay too expensive for it's construction and quality. Yet, I am still glad I forked over for it and will probably buy another for the shower after reading this thread.

longcurlygirl<3
April 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
thank you ladies :). I will look more further into it.

GRU
April 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Here's the proof, for anyone doubting Anje's comment: Curly Hair Brushed Out (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg?t=1303696974)

For those concerned about the price, if you weren't already aware, the TT is now being carried at Sally Beauty Supply for ten bucks. Call first to make sure they have them in stock, though, b/c my local store said they've been flying off the shelves as fast as they receive them. They're also available online from Sally's -- same price plus postage.

Jean Stuart
May 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I love the way it feels on my scalp, still unsure If I like it on my length. I use a comb first and use it on dry hair.

Jemoiselle
May 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I just ordered two a few days ago, I'll let you know! :)

nucleardelusion
May 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I love my Tangle Teezer, it holds the prized position over my Bodyshop wooden comb now. I ordered mine from Sally's website, since my local Sally's didn't have them in stock.

skyblue
May 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
My hubby has almost waist length hair
he washes it all wrong you know! With it all piled
on top of his head sighs and the knots OMG!!
He loses so much hair when he rips/combs it when wet!
I finally bought him one and begged him to try it!
He had all the knots out in just a few minutes and the shed was sooooo
much less!! I think he was a little impressed lol!!!
I think it was a great investment for his poor hair!

celebriangel
May 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I love my tangle teezer! It works wonderfully. Howecer, if my hair is extra tangled, i don't do what they say you can do and just brush from top to bottom in one go, instead I start at the bottom like I would with a comb. It's still much faster and less tuggy than a comb.

DBF has straight hair and the TT just goes straight through it. I think us curlies just have to alter the method a teeny bit :D.

Angeletti
May 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I bought two because I love them so much, it's all I ever use now. They also work great on long haired cats!

ratgirldjh
May 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I've been using my tangle teezer to brush at night before bed and noticed that my hair looks rougher than it used to when I would only use my wooden comb.

So for now I've stopped using the TT and went back to the comb to see if it actually was the TT that was causing my hair to look rougher and more frizzy. I hope not - but I can't think of anything else that I have changed.

djh

eta: my cats absolutely LOVE the TT - it is the best cat brush ever!!!

Madora
May 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM
The Tangle Teezer is terrific for cats! My kitties line up to be brushed..even the ones who didn't care for brushing before!

However, I found the shape to be ergonomically horrendous..but then, I have small hands.

I still wouldn't use it on my hair. My bbb takes care of my hair just fine!

beccababesx
May 16th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I have straight hair but it's quite coarse and very thick and tangly, and I do love my Tangle Teezer. Only brush (except for my BBB) that I'll use in my hair! Tangles just slide out.

longhairdntcare
May 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I LOVE my tangle teezer. My hair is extremely fine and tangle-prone and the TT is the only thing that isn't super painful and seems to actually detangles my hair (rather than breaking through tangles). I run it through conditioner soaked hair in the shower, when my hair is dry, whenever. Also I use it on my scalp before a shampoo to get the flakies off. My old brushes seem so rough on my hair and uncomfortable now! I definitely recommend it.

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I just bought this to try out in the shower. I used to use a wide toothed comb, but now that my hair is getting longer, I really have to ravage my hair & use lots of force to get the wide toothed comb through even the ends of my hair. I only use a wide toothed comb now if I need to be in & out of the shower quickly.

Finger combing works okay for me now, but it takes FOREVER! And finger combing is still rather difficult, since I my 3a/3b hair gets serious mats in my hair, especially on the bottom layer, growing out from the nape of my neck. (Yes, I get white girl 'kitchen,' especially when I wear wool coats in the winter...) Right now, my finger combing consists of just pulling the matts apart, by splitting up the sections. It's awkward.

I'm hoping the tangle teezer gets me in and out of the shower quicker, and is easier than finger combing.

Madora
July 7th, 2011, 07:47 AM
If you try and hurry your hair care routine, you hair will suffer! Patience is required for all aspects of hair care! If you are NOT gentle with your hair, your hair will pay for it!

Long hair requires patience. It is not a question of just rushing thru the detangling process. Finger combing can only do so much! It DOES NOT remove all tangles, snarls from your hair.
You must be diligent and use a wide tooth comb to make sure ALL knots and tangles are removed. If you don't remove those snarls, they only get snarlier and the problem increases.

If you find a snarl, take it apart with your FINGERS. Don't yank your comb through the snarl! You'll break your hair, and damage is not pretty!

Also, do not BRUSH wet hair! Hair is at its weakest when it is wet. It will break! Airdry your hair, THEN brush it..SLOWLY and gently.

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Also, do not BRUSH wet hair! Hair is at its weakest when it is wet. It will break! Airdry your hair, THEN brush it..SLOWLY and gently.

I will never, ever, ever brush my hair dry. Ever. Please visit this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003 if you are wondering why curlies are not brushers. Also, I don't always comb my hair, but when I do, , I do it in the shower with my hair soaked in conditioner, never dry, and always with a wide toothed comb.

I have many snarls every time I step in the shower, and I already work those out with my fingers. I find they respond alright to shower finger combing. [I]My real problem arises when I try to work out wide, flat mats in my hair with my comparatively big and clumsy fingers. I plan to use the tangle teezer not as a brush, but as a detangling solution similar to my wide toothed comb (only used in the shower with my hair soaked in conditioner.) I'm hoping the teezer help me carefully work those out. If it doesn't, of course I won't use it.

tabby28
July 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM
If you find a snarl, take it apart with your FINGERS. Don't yank your comb through the snarl! You'll break your hair, and damage is not pretty!

I agree with this 100%. I always detangle with my fingers because I have complete control over how much force I use. I can detect instantly if a tangle/snarl is going to come apart when I run my fingers through it - if it won't I sit and patiently separate hair by hair! I do this for about 20 - 30 minutes every morning and before I wash. Its the only way I know to get tangles out of my curls.

As far as I'm concerned, true curlies (its a bit different for wavies) should never ever brush dry. Ever! Its not a good look :D But combing is a different thing to brushing and when done with wet, conditioned hair, I don't think it causes any breakage - especially if done after finger detangling.

When I was in my teens before I had done anything naughty to my hair and it was only chin length, I combed wet in the shower every day and never experienced any damage at all.

bunzfan
July 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I looove my tangle teezer my hair used to shed loads when ever i brushed it saying that i leave long hair's all over the place but, since i got the tangle teezer my shed is virtually zero!

I use it in wet and dry hair in fact i'm thinking of getting another one as i lost mine for two weeks thanks to baby hiding it and i could do with a spare in case it happens again.