PDA

View Full Version : Pantene... the good and the bad?

MariaAZ
March 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Since TLHC doesn't yet have the product review forum up, I thought I'd post this question here.

I've not been a major fan of Pantene, but my mother gave me bottles of their Silver Expressions shampoo & conditioner, and oh my! I am in love! Although I used to henna my hair, I've been growing it out for over a year and have a good 6-8 inches of natural color which is about 50% grey. I wanted to punch up the grey a bit, and this blue shampoo absolutely does the trick. In fact, I didn't know how much grey I had until that first washing! I'm so hooked it's not funny ;)

I'm just a bit wary about it though. I'm trying to get DH (who has the most gorgeous mid-back length grey hair) to give it a try. Our hair can handle the 'cones so that's not a problem, but I'm wondering how others do with this brand.

ETA- d'oh... I just found the link to the reviews forums in "Site Happenings" but didn't find any entries for Pantene.

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Pantene has too much panthenol for me which gives me dry frizz. Hopefully other will do better with it!

joyinc
March 12th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I used to be a huge pantene junky. It was the only thing that has ever worked wonders for my hair and i dont know why.

I stopped using it when I discovered it is tested on animals. I'd love to find a replacement!

Madam Librarian
March 13th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Some of my favorite conditioners are Pantene. The shampoo I can take or leave.

Joyinc, I found that Tresemme Anti-Breakage conditioner is just as slippy and good as Pantene, if not more so. I don't know their stance on animal testing though (parent company Alberto-Culver International). Info from the PETA forums was conflicted, with some claiming to receive letters from the company stating that they do not test any of their current products on animals (this could be construed to mean that they DO test individual ingredients though) and that they do not sign PETA's animal testing agreement as a general policy (if we do it for you, we do it for everyone, and we don't have time). I have seen the company name on lists of companies that DO test on animals, but the lists were several years old. You probably have your own sources you rely on for this, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions from your own research. Just sharing what I found with a quick and dirty Google. :)

wolf girl
March 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I used to be a pantine user untill I couldn't figure our why my hair was always so dry and brittle. A hair dresser asked me what I used and I told her pantine. She said, "No!!!" and went on to say that it's the most overated product on the market and is horrible for hair because it's loaded with alcohol.
My mother in law uses it and her hair looks like straw. So I say " Pantine Bad!"

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 07:25 AM
It was awful for my hair as well. NEVER liked it even when I was a conehead. Made it dry, puffy and brittle. Some love it though. I would say if you like it and it works for you, go for it. :knit:

lora410
March 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I used to LOVE pantene. I don't know if they changed the formula, but about a few months before I joined LHC my hair just didn't seem the same using it or any other poo and condish for that matter. My hair likes no cones it seems and loves the poo bar.

suicides_eve
March 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM
i never much cared for it,it really damaged my hair after long term use it looked like crap felt like straw- now my cousin on the other hand her hair looks so lovely and that is all she uses so idk maybe it has to do with hair types?

atlantaz3
March 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I had so much build up from Pantene my hair dresser at the time was able to strip gunk off my hair that looked like removed paint. This was before I learned about clarifying. I have since tried it once my and my hair still didn't like it - still too much build up. But I'm glad it's working for you.

Sapphire'sWings
March 13th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I actually love Pantene conditioner if I'm using something with cones. I don't recall seeing any drying or harmful ingredients either. My hair certainly did not look dry or damaged, but I think that's because of my own hair type and the fact that I take care of my hair by trying to avoid mechanically or chemically damaging my hair.

I've learned that my hair looks good most of the time, regardless of products, because of that. There's really not one miracle product that I must depend on.

ETA: I do seem to change shampoo and conditioner often because I'm a sucker for smells and trying new things.

Iylivarae
March 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Pantene products made my hair awfully stringy, so I don't use it any more. I also don't like the cones in it.

But if you are happy, great!

young&reckless
March 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I love the deep treatements but don't use anything else due to build up.

The hair mask is great on my colored and damages length and makes my hair feel great for about a week.

On the other hand if I use it too much my hair feels really weird, like so over moisterized its mushy.

DMARTINEZ
March 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Most of the Pantene conditioners contain Benzyl Alchohol which can be drying. I just
wonder why they have to put it in there? Most other Conditioners dont contain that
alchohol. I use the Pantene leave in, smoothing comb in cream, it doesnt have that alchohol in
it.

Deb

Kirin
March 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
The Reviews are up (and filling up fast) if you look at the top menu bar of this page, and click "reviews". If you dont see the item your using, list it! The more info for all of us, the better I always say.

As far as pantene, I'd never been a fan. It was okay on my hair, it was the fragrances that drove me crazy lol

Dacia
March 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
My only problem with Pantene is scalp itchyness, beside that (and the overwhalming smell) I can say I like their products and I use them sporadically with good results.

Mahars
March 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I've never been a huge Pantene user, but I love their purity shampoo for clarifying. I used to use it a long time ago and just tried it again this morning. My hair feels so much lighter and softer. I used to use it once a month without damage, so I'm going to go back to doing that.

Elfling
March 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I used to be a pantine user untill I couldn't figure our why my hair was always so dry and brittle. A hair dresser asked me what I used and I told her pantine. She said, "No!!!" and went on to say that it's the most overated product on the market and is horrible for hair because it's loaded with alcohol.
My mother in law uses it and her hair looks like straw. So I say " Pantine Bad!"

Heh. There's not much to this. Pantene has nothing really more nor less than every other standard brand of shampoo. Check out thebeautybrains.com for their expose of the Pantene urban legends.

Elfling
March 13th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Most of the Pantene conditioners contain Benzyl Alchohol which can be drying. I just
wonder why they have to put it in there? Most other Conditioners dont contain that
alchohol. I use the Pantene leave in, smoothing comb in cream, it doesnt have that alchohol in
it.

Deb
Benzyl alcohol is used a solvent in this case. Almost every drugstore and salon conditioner and shampoo out there will use something similar.

joyinc
March 13th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Some of my favorite conditioners are Pantene. The shampoo I can take or leave.

Joyinc, I found that Tresemme Anti-Breakage conditioner is just as slippy and good as Pantene, if not more so. I don't know their stance on animal testing though (parent company Alberto-Culver International). Info from the PETA forums was conflicted, with some claiming to receive letters from the company stating that they do not test any of their current products on animals (this could be construed to mean that they DO test individual ingredients though) and that they do not sign PETA's animal testing agreement as a general policy (if we do it for you, we do it for everyone, and we don't have time). I have seen the company name on lists of companies that DO test on animals, but the lists were several years old. You probably have your own sources you rely on for this, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions from your own research. Just sharing what I found with a quick and dirty Google. :)
hmmmm... i had always thought that they didnt test on animals, but if you found conflicting info, then i will triple check before i get anything :) i've tried some tresemme conditioners before and wasnt very impressed, but i dont think i tried that one!

thank u!

Buddaphlyy
March 14th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Pantene will always be good in my book. I especially love the deep conditioning treatments.

chrissy-b
March 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM
My hair was always so stringy when I used Pantene. I realize now it was because of the cones. Since cutting them out of my routine, my fine thin hair actually has some body!

Elle
March 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I haven't tried their Silver Expressions line. I do like their regular shampoo, though. Pantene conditioner makes my hair really poofy, and if anything I prefer trying to sleek it out, so I never use it. :smile:

Gemma
March 14th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I used Pantene almost exclusively when I was younger and had BSL hair. It made my hair very shiny but it also weighed it down, and eventually my hair would get really greasy at the roots, and dry at the ends. I now know that I just don't get along with cones.

My fiance, on t'other hand, who has wurly hair down to his waist has only ever used Pantene's 'smooth and sleek', and his hair is wonderfully soft, shiny, and healthy.

Pixel Gypsy
March 14th, 2008, 06:40 AM
My hair has never liked Pantene. It weighs my hair down really badly. But I have a couple of friends who just love the stuff.

Anne~
March 14th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Been using Pantene for almost 8 years. I am still happy with the results. But from reading some of the negative Pantene comments on this site. I might try something else. I stopped using frizz ease serums and sprays, I only use coconut oil and jojoba oil for extras now. My hair is much better for it. I do use Goivanni Direct leave in condtioner after washing, it makes my hair very easy to comb out.

lora410
March 14th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I haven't tried their Silver Expressions line. I do like their regular shampoo, though. Pantene conditioner makes my hair really poofy, and if anything I prefer trying to sleek it out, so I never use it. :smile:

Elle your hair is simply stunning!!!!!!!!

naomimcc
March 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Of course a hairdresser would say that...how else would they convince people to buy their products instead? I recently saw a documentary on shampoo/conditioner/hair products and guess what? They're all the same. They're all made in the same factories - the only difference is the name. So the $4.99 drugstore shampoo? Yup...same as the $32 salon shampoo. It really all depends on what your hair likes. If it works...go with it...whether it's dollar store shampoo or GM salon product.

wolf girl
March 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Been using Pantene for almost 8 years. I am still happy with the results. But from reading some of the negative Pantene comments on this site. I might try something else.

If it works for you, I'd say keep using it. :) Something that doesn't work on some else's hair may do great on yours. We are all different.....

HeavenlyTresses
March 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I used to use Mane & Tail, Aussie, & TreSemme but always ended up switching after a couple months because they would make my hair do weird things. Pantene is the only one I can use consistently and always get the same results. I use the classic clean and I dilute the conditioner with water (it spreads through my hair easier that way). It's so hard to recommend a product when everyone's hair is different and doesn't have the same reactions. Good luck :).

Elle
March 14th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Elle your hair is simply stunning!!!!!!!!
Awww... Thank you, Lora! You're so sweet! :flower:

Neoma
May 11th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I had waist-length hair most of my adult life, and most of that time, I used Pantene S&C. After joining LHC, I've followed a bunch of different routines. My primary one was shampoo bars and vinegar rinses. I loved that my length had body that would allow me to make lasting updos. I hated that my crown was covered with course, wirey pieces that made me feel decidedly unattractive.

While I was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago, I used some hotel shampoo and condish that had cones in it, and my hair looked better than it had in ages. When I got home, I dug out a giant bottle of Pantene Smooth & Sleek conditioner that I had squirreled away, and started using it. The results were so good that I bought some Pantene Always Smooth shampoo yesterday. (Evidently, Always Smooth is the new name for Smooth & Sleek.) This morning, I s&c'ed with these two products, and the tangles fell right out. Better yet, not a trace of the wirey pieces on my crown.

I do find that making updos is more difficult when I cone. I had to damp bun this a.m. in order to make a lasting wrapped bun. But the shine, color and softness are crazy, and, right now, I can't imagine giving up my Pantene!

kwaniesiam
May 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Pantene and my hair hate each other, but my friend uses it and her hair seems to be in fairly good shape. I don't much like the smell of it either, but my hair really likes the natural cone-free things, as does my nose. If it works for you, there's no reason why you should stop using it unless you want to experiment and see if you can find something even better :flower:

Neoma
May 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Pantene and my hair hate each other, but my friend uses it and her hair seems to be in fairly good shape. I don't much like the smell of it either, but my hair really likes the natural cone-free things, as does my nose. If it works for you, there's no reason why you should stop using it unless you want to experiment and see if you can find something even better :flower:Funny, I don't find the fragrance of the conditioner offensive, but the shampoo always smelled really artificial to me. The bottle that I just bought doesn't seem that offensive; I suspect that they toned down the fragrance when they changed the product name.

Having said that, I, too, prefer the smell of natural things. I think that's one of the main reasons that I had such a hard time giving up on my shampoo bars. Unfortunately, my hair just wasn't looking great on a consistent basis when I used natural products. :flower:

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Pantene and my hair hate each other, but my friend uses it and her hair seems to be in fairly good shape. I don't much like the smell of it either, but my hair really likes the natural cone-free things, as does my nose. If it works for you, there's no reason why you should stop using it unless you want to experiment and see if you can find something even better :flower:

Both my mother and one of my sister's use it and their hair "seems" to be in good shape, but pantene is very good about making your hair *look* like it is happy.
I used it the whole time I was growing up. I never realized how much my hair hated it and how much it was faking me off till I started using other things. :shrug:

Forgot to say I also enjoy the smell of more natural things. :)

talullah
May 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I used Pantene for almost 10 years.

My hair always looked great, and it was pretty healthy considering what I did to it (bleaching, daily flatironing, etc.) But, it was always a little dry and tended toward crunchiness. I don't blame it on the cones because my hair doesn't have a problem with cones. If I had to pick a culprit, I'd say it was the panthenol.

The smell made me sick--though it isn't because I prefer natural-scented products, because I don't. :lol: There's just some fragrance in Pantene products that I find nauseating. It's a detergent-like smell. (A smell not found in my other detergent sulfate shampoos.) Come to think of it, it reminds me of powdered dishwasher detergent. Oh, and I don't mind the smell of their newer Restoratives line.

While I don't intend to use Pantene again in the near future, I don't hate the stuff either. I've used way worse products. :shrug:

Nevermore
May 12th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Pantene s&c came with a baggie of other "buy our products!" samples I got in school, so I only used it once, which may make a difference.

My hair was nice until it dried. It greased up so fast that I could practically SEE it happening. Absolutely horrible. I wasn't sold on the smell, either. I find anything from Suave to work much better and Dove would be my choice for non-offensive, cone-containing, semi-expensive shampoo and conditioner.

zift
May 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Pantene has lots of cones in it and is a heavy conditioner but it always makes my hair very puffy. I don't like it that much but the slip for detangling is OK not too bad.

lady G
May 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I liked the ice shine and the smooth and sleek but i got a rsh from the ice shine s and c i have very sensitive scalp and skin so had to stop using it and find something else!

RedButterfly
May 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
When I used Pantene years ago, I swear I shed more hairs than normal. I've been afraid to try it again especially after hearing on the hair boards about the bad cones in them. My hair really hates the cone that is in most of the Pantene conditioners.

CurlyOne
May 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I used to use Pantene all the time and then I stopped for a while to try more natural stuff when I came here. I switched back after a little bit and my hair was got very very dry and brittle, I don't remember it doing that before but I wasn't too in touch with my hair then, I was a hair abuser.

flapjack
May 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I used pantene shampoo and conditioner during most of my childhood and I had hair to my knees and it was perfectly fine, to be honest. I also combed my hair when it was wet, roughly towel dried it, blow dried it, curled the ends, highlighted it with bleach every 2-3 months and so on. Now I use no heat and no dye and natural shampoos and conditioners and I brush it probably 3-4 times a week so I'm much gentler. My hair condition has improved a lot but it was above average before, too. I guess I have tough hair and a tough scalp. I still use a cheap shampoo with a sulfate in it about once a month for an extra clean.

lava
May 15th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Violently (itchy to the point I scratch it bloody in my sleep even if I manage to keep my hands off in daytime) allergic, to all the Pantene products I've tried on my hair!
-Lara

girlcat36
May 15th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I consitently used Pantene through the 90's, and up until 2006. My hair through that time was also dry, brittle, breaking, and seemed not to grow. I thought I was using a good shampoo, but could not understand why my hair would not gain length because I was not trimming either. Honestly----it took 17 years to go from chin-length to BSL! I realized that using the Pantene caused my hair to break--it was growing, but breaking off too, so I couldn't gain length!

paper
May 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Pantene left my hair dry and frizzy.

squiggyflop
May 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
i just tried pantene yesterday when i had to shower at my friends house(my shower was broken) my hair has never been so tangle free.. i used the smoothing conditioner.. my hair was totally frizz free... i returned some bottles and went to walmart to buy the generic brand thats supposed to be compared to pantene.. i checked the lable and it had all the ingrediants in the same order as the smoothing conditioner so im hoping that ill have be able to get it to work for me.. its not every day that i spend 2.50 for a bottle of conditioner.. i hope it works as well... and i hope dad doesnt notice that there is yet annother bottle of hair goo in the tub area.. he hates that i have all the bottles hanging around.. but i can never seem to find a product that works.. ive got two bottles in there that are almost full (too much protein and made my hair feel like straw and break off) he is always on my case about finishing them before i get annother bottle of something... and boy does he get annoyed when i say that they didnt work well with my hair.. in my dads mind no one should need conditioner.. he doesnt understand why "anyone would slime up something they just washed" he applys the same principle to fabric softener and floor wax.. they are just not neccisary in his mind. oh well.. at least he understands my need for detangling stuff..(he was the one who had to brush my hair as a child and i would get massive clothlike knots the size of a baseball on the back of my head by the end of the day)
he used to have to spend a really long time working the knots out every day..

Coffeebug
July 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I've used Pantene smooth and sleek for years, but I opened new bottles of the shampoo and conditioner the other day and oooof! My hair was revoltingly sticky! It didn't say they'd re-formulated it, but they've definitely done something! I had to buy some Aussie Luscious Long to try and wash it out.. it was horrible LOL I'm in the UK so maybe the US formulation is different... not sure.