PDA

View Full Version : Question for People BSL and Beyond

AuburnTresses
April 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Recently I've been struggling with sitting back and catching my hair between me and the chair. On top of that this is the longest I can ever remember my hair being, but it keeps getting in my way.

So my question is does it get better? (aka Is BSL more annoying than waist?)

Also can anyone point me to a tutorial of doing a french twist with BSL or is it hopeless at this length?

Thanks. :flower:

bunzfan
April 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Recently I've been struggling with sitting back and catching my hair between me and the chair. On top of that this is the longest I can ever remember my hair being, but it keeps getting in my way.

So my question is does it get better? (aka Is BSL more annoying than waist?)

Also can anyone point me to a tutorial of doing a french twist with BSL or is it hopeless at this length?

Thanks. :flower:

Recently i have found i cant wear my hair down for this reason its very frustrating isn't it. I'm at the same stage as you.

Carolyn
April 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
I love the feeling of leaning back and catching my hair between my back and the chair. I do it on purpose. I nod my head forward a tiny bit so I can feel a little tug and know that my hair is long. I was overjoyed when I got to this point. I guess you don't see it as a milestone?

berr
April 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
I keep my hair restrained. I couldn't go very far with it loose. (or so I think. I probably could but I may not be able to get the tangles out) When I have it in a banded pony or a braid, I sit on it all the time. I get the ends and most of the braid/pony trapped between me and the bed. Hubby gets all indignant when I flip it out and it will smack him. The seat in the van is next. I try to throw my hair over my shoulder whenever I sit, but the van I forget or it swings weird, I don't really know, but I'm always having to lean forward to get my hair over my shoulder again.

Trust me, when your hair is this long you learn to shoulder it forward and it becomes somewhat a habit. ESPECIALLY, in the bathroom.

kyandii
April 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
I use this tutorial for a french twist. It works for me easily and I'm /just/ at BSL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGy6mormXA

pepperminttea
April 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
Is BSL more annoying than waist?

Yes. BSL was really in-between-y for me; too much length for the 'shortie updos' (and getting to the point that a normal French twist wouldn't work), and too short/thick for the longer ones (which are just beginning to work for me). Keep going; by the time you get to waist, you'll probably be more aware of the length of your hair, so it'll be second nature to push it out the way or twist it into a quick bun when you need to do something. :)

AuburnTresses
April 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
I love the feeling of leaning back and catching my hair between my back and the chair. I do it on purpose. I nod my head forward a tiny bit so I can feel a little tug and know that my hair is long. I was overjoyed when I got to this point. I guess you don't see it as a milestone?

No I guess I don't. I kinda fell into having long hair. Never really liked my hair long, but couldn't decide on a hairstyle I liked or would do. Then one day I took my ponytail down and was like "Wow. It's long."

I want to get it cut on one hand, but on the other thinking about getting more than an inch or two off makes me want to burst into tears. (Didn't know I would get so emotional about hair.)

Maybe if I look at it as a milestone it would help though. Thank you Carolyn.

Thanks kyandii for the tutorial.

AuburnTresses
April 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks Berr. My hair has always fallen over the front of my shoulders, my sister says it reminds her of Belle in Beauty and the Beast because it usually falls over my right shoulder. But I will definitely keep the bathroom trick in mind!

Thanks pepperminttea I will try and stick in there. :) It is nice that I can now do a bun (with pencils I don't have any hairsticks yet). I just need to remember that and not run for a haircut when it gets annoying.

growingpains
April 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hmm this has been happening to me for awhile since I've been hovering beyond BSL for sometime, but it does not bother me. I'd say I've spent the vast majority of the last four years with hair this length and it is just so natural to feel it behind me on chairs. After awhile you should adjust. The automatic pull in front of shoulders becomes second nature. I find heavy shoulder bags sometimes cumbersome still. And another thing that recently started happening at MBL is my hair getting in food at the front and getting in the way when cooking if I am leaning over something! Fire hazard!

Delila
April 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
I wore shorter hair all my life, until I started on this 'let me see how long it can grow' phase, growing out from a pixie. I mention it because it means that I really don't have any other experience with long hair.

For me, the growing out phases were THE WORST. Once I reached some point beyond waist, things got much easier and more comfortable. I couldn't tell you exactly why that is, only that I've experienced it to be so.

Is it just that I was growing out a LOT of layers and things got easier once those all reached a certain length? Maybe so.

I'm currently at classic+ and find benign neglect easier than ever. HTH!!

AuburnTresses
April 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
growingpains that sounds like a interesting method of cooking!

I know that I realized that my hair was long when I was cutting some fabric out and felt a tug on my hair (which was loose). I looked around like "Hey! Who tugged my hair?" I was the only one in the room. Then I realized my hair was long enough that it had gotten stuck in the handle of my scissors!

I felt so silly, but I was glad my hair didn't get cut!

Loreley
April 23rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
I think it gets worse. Especially when you can sit on it. Really, since my hair has been longer than classic I can't wear it down because it's not comfortable. I sit on it, it gets caught into everything, door handles are the worst.

Lostsoule77
April 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
I think the longer your hair is the more things it gets stuck on, but you also become more used to dealing with it. So in some ways it gets worse and others better. I've learned that if a chair (usually dining chairs) have a designed back my hair gets caught and I need to throw it up. Also when I'm getting dressed, into a car, grabbing my purse, etc.
One good thing about hair growing so slowly is that it allows us to adapt to each length while we have it.;)

jojo
April 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yes it does get worse but I like the feeling! you just sort of get used and automatically pull your hair forward when sitting down. I am waist and have to wear my hair up most of the time.

Enjoy these milestones, there your hairs way of saying "hey can you feel the growth :D"

I just reached a great milestone, rinsing my hair and feeling it at hip woo!

Kristamommyx3
April 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
I just started to have this same problem too. Lol

chenille
April 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Maybe it's something you just get used to? I've had longish hair for years (anywhere from APL to mid-back where it is now) and I seriously had to think if I've ever noticed it getting caught on chairs. I took my hair out of a bun to check just now! I suppose it does and I just don't notice it anymore. Maybe I notice it subconsciously, and I just move my hair out of the way without thinking about it. The only time I get annoyed is when little strands get caught in the car door when it closes, now that's irritating...

Honestwitness
April 23rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
This happens to me too. It makes me wish snoods were in style in an office environment. But, if I wore one to work, I don't think it would go over very well. As it is, I've gotten in the habit of pulling my hair around and in front of my shoulder. That seems to be working ok for now.

Sweetie
April 24th, 2011, 04:37 AM
oh this has been happening from a few time tome too....I'm not used to it, but I love that feeling, it reminds me my hair is long!!

telegraph64
April 24th, 2011, 05:25 AM
This happens to all of us, if we don't catch it first and swing the hair over one or both shoulders. BSL hair is more difficult to "notice" and it's easier to forget it's back there !
At mid back and waist, and longer lengths, the hair is more "obviously" there and is easier to remember to move it out of the way. :)

Theobroma
April 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Since nobody else seems to have answered this one yet, here is a video tutorial by Hypnotica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cjaX_rUuE&feature=player_profilepage) that demonstrates a Lazy French Twist for hair considerably longer than BSL. At your length, you may find that all you need to do is the double twist until your ends are out of sight and then spread the hair apart as she demonstrates to create the "roll" effect. Or else you may find that you have extra length to fold under, but that the folded bit is only about half as long as your finished twist. The principle works in either case; I used it at BSL and I'm still happily using it at waist.