PDA

View Full Version : Help me not go crazy (picture heavy)

Springlets
April 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
So I really, really am trying to grow my hair out totally natural. It's been a few years since I've seen it and I'm sick of my hair being fake and unhealthy. So I dyed it close to the color of my eyebrows which appear to be a medium ash blonde (might I also say that this is the same color as all other body hair- eyelashes, arm pits, *other* places). It meshed pretty well and I let my hair start to grow.
But as it's been growing the hair coming from my head looks a lot darker than my eyebrows, dull and not blonde. It seems to me that most people's eyebrows match their head hair or are even darker, but not lighter. I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy, but here are some pictures so you can tell me:

Outside, natural light
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp7334nu338676247685258ot1lsi-1.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp7333nu33867742476865258ot1lsi.jpg

Inside, natural light
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp733nu33867822476873258ot1lsi-1.jpg

Inside, fluorescent lights
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp73395nu33867762476867258ot1lsi-1.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp7334nu33867782476869258ot1lsi.jpg

Let me say I've tried every natural remedy to lighten it up: chamomile, catnip, lemon juice, honey treatments, cinnamon, etc. Nothing seems to give long-term results. I love the color of my eyebrows, I would be totally happy with that color, but it seems like that's not growing out of my head.

Has anyone's roots started darker and lightened as they grew out? It's my only hope. :(

UPDATE!!!!!

In natural light, shaded. The line is where I'm pretty sure the roots end. About .75" I guess (bad at measuring)
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp5393nu33974959724884958258ot1lsi-1.jpg

The (very badly drawn) circle show my natural highlights coming in! Yipee!
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp5397nu339749592488495258ot1lsi-1.jpg

And of course there's no difference at all in direct sunlight
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp53989nu33974959524884956258ot1lsi.jpg

Thanks everyone for the compliments and help! It was rough growing out the first month or so, but hopefully this gives hope to others growing out dye. Don't label the color until its had time to grow! :)

JadeTigress
April 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Honestly, I think your hair and eyebrow color look just fine. :) I can see that it's a little darker at the roots, but I still think it looks good.

And my hair lightens as it grows out, but my hair is way darker than yours. So I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

ladylovecraft
April 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
Am I just imagining this or is it just shadow on your roots... ?

Even if it isn't, I don't think it'll be stark enough to notice by the time it gets any decent length.

Joribear
April 22nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I've found that sometimes just age & hormones will cause hair color to change. I used to have natural white blonde hair. Then I got pregnant, and my hair got a little darker. Then I got pregnant again (two years later!) and my hair got darker again!

Twelve years since my last pregnancy and my hair gets darker every year. I was born with blue-black hair and it was white blonde by the time I was a year old. I'm starting to think my hair is trying to revert back to my birth color!

I think your hair/eyebrows work well together! Don't stress too much! :)

Quixii
April 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
DBF's hair has pretty dark roots, and then lighter ends. The contrast is such that people have asked me if he dyes my hair - he doesn't, he's a natural blonde, his roots just start out much darker for whatever reason.

littlenvy
April 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Its too soon to tell. My roots look a bit darker than the rest of my hair but once it gets to 1" it starts to get lighter :) Blonde hair is funny that way. But you might have to go to midium ash blonde.

akuamoonmaui
April 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
It looks very, very natural. I wouldn't worry about it, as others have said, hair is usually darker at the roots and lightens over time.

OMG!! Is that your natural eye color???? That is some intense blue, lady!

spidermom
April 22nd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hair always looks darker at the roots. New hair hasn't been exposed to sunshine or much of anything yet. It will lighten up (most likely).

Springlets
April 22nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
Okay you guys have made me feel a lot better.

Joribear, I am 26 so I'm no spring chicken but I haven't had kids yet so hopefully it's not hormones. Though I did go off birth control about two months ago.... hmmm.

Ladylovecraft, you might be right because when I flatten the roots, they look a lot lighter and blend in pretty much with the colored part. So it just might be a shadow thing.

akuamoonmaui thanks yes they are my natural color. Got 'em from my irish mom. Are you in Hawai'i? I just graduated from the University in Manoa. :)

And thanks everyone else. I will chill out for now and let my roots have their dark time and wait for them to lighten up. :D

Mesmerise
April 22nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
My eyebrows are lighter than my natural hair colour, and they're really sparse and fine to boot! I think yours look just fine :D Mine, on the other hand...need to be dyed just so you can see them :rolleyes:.

Slinks
April 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
hmmmm my eyebrows are darker than my natural colour !! even as a kid my eyebrow were brown and my hair white !! but I agree I was white as a kid, blonde as a teen and young adult and dark after I had my first child and darker still after the second ..

Anyway I think it's natural to have darker roots too :-) don't panic yet ..

ibleedlipstick
April 23rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
I don't really see a huge difference....

My eyebrows are lighter than my natural hair color. I have deep reddish/coppery colored hair, but eyebrows light enough that I can pull blonde off almost naturally. I think I just have weird genes :D

Lianna
April 23rd, 2011, 01:58 AM
I agree, your hair looks natural like this, and will be lighter, your roots are very short still. My eyebrows are lighter than my natural hair too.

Jomo
April 23rd, 2011, 02:36 AM
Echoing what everyone else says! All hair naturally lightens as it grows out :) I'm dark brown and even I start getting a few blondish and red wisps towards the ends ;D

Also, I've known a couple of long-term double process addicts who said when they started to grow their hair out naturally the first half centimetre or so was an odd dusty brown/dishwater colour. I don't know if the dye somehow affects the root of the hair or the hair still submerged under the skin, and then after that has emerged it can grow out your actual natural colour? I can't speak from first hand experience, but I suppose it's possible?

vanity_acefake
April 23rd, 2011, 02:55 AM
Your hair looks lovely. Hopefully your roots will lighten up as everyone has said.
My hair is mousy brown and my eyebrows are naturally black! (so are my eyelashes). I was bullied about it in school (many many moons ago). People used to say "why do you dye your eyebrows!!!
:)

Springlets
April 23rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
Also, I've known a couple of long-term double process addicts who said when they started to grow their hair out naturally the first half centimetre or so was an odd dusty brown/dishwater colour. I don't know if the dye somehow affects the root of the hair or the hair still submerged under the skin, and then after that has emerged it can grow out your actual natural colour? I can't speak from first hand experience, but I suppose it's possible?

I was discussing something like this with my boyfriend today and he said that hair sometimes grow out that color after you stop coloring. Hooray! Perhaps it's a sign from the universe!

Again, thanks to everyone who has replied so far, you're all making me feel a lot better. I had also been using Monistat for a few weeks and I thought that maybe since it was accelerating the growth (not by very much obviously), it wouldn't have had as much time as hair normally does to naturally be lightened by the sun and all. And perhaps have made the color look darker because of the grease? Anyway, I'm staving off it for awhile.

ravenreed
April 23rd, 2011, 05:00 AM
As I have gotten older, my eyebrows have lightened up and gotten sparser but my hair has not. Although, if I let my hair go natural, my hair fades from dark auburn/brown at the roots to red at the ends. Used to drive me crazy in the summer. Anyway, I don't think that I could match my hair to my brows without lifting my natural hair color a bit. I compensate by penciling in my brows when I think about it.

CurlAhead
April 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
I think it looks very natural, and I just got to say..I LOVE YOUR EYE COLOR!

Alvrodul
April 23rd, 2011, 05:27 AM
You have a very beautiful hair color - and all natural, too! And the blue of your eyes is so wonderfully intense - it is rare to see such a clear blue, even here in Scandinavia!

Your hair look quite naturel, and blonde hair tends to lighten naturally by itself - mine did, in my pre-henna days.:)

Vorvolaka
April 23rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
It will lighten, blonde tends to do that. And once you have an inch+ of roots, it blends a lot better.

Freyariane
April 23rd, 2011, 05:41 AM
Don't worry Springlets!!! I have the opposite problem :) My hair are lighter than my eyebrows ^^ (So people often think I dye my hair, which is false.)

When I look at your photos, I really don't see any difference! ^^

MonaLisa
April 23rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
I really see nothing wrong there! It's beautiful color! And goes well with the eyebrows! :)
As I heard blondies look lighter as their hair gets longer..so just give it time :)

cindy58
April 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Your eyes are such a pretty blue.

My hair is naturally red/blond (never colored) and my eyebrows are so light blond that they disappear. I have always liked my hair color, but more brow color would have been nice to go along with it.

I think you're on the right track returning to your natural hair color. It just takes a bit of people watching to realize the difference.

Firefox7275
April 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Once summer comes your head-hair will naturally lighten in the sun, unless you are obsessive about wearing a hat or sunblock (not sure what is available for hair).

jasper
April 23rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Hair always looks darker at the roots. New hair hasn't been exposed to sunshine or much of anything yet. It will lighten up (most likely).

This^

But also, the texture of your new hair is going to reflect light differently than your processed hair. I think that is part of the difference on color in the photos.

I think your new hair will lighten with longer exposure to the world, but by that theory your processed hair will too.

Give it a few more weeks to show you it's true colors. If you wait and see, you might have an easier time telling what to do to - and deciding if you really need/ want to do more to match the colors.

smileycat
April 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Has anyone's roots started darker and lightened as they grew out? It's my only hope. :(

Yes, me! I sort of freaked when I started letting my hair grow natural instead of running to the salon for highlights. Dark! About the only thing that works to lighten it is sun exposure, and I do tend to spend a lot of time outdoors. My hair is darker at the roots and lightens gradually toward the ends.

And your eyes really ARE amazing!

Springlets
April 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone. I was plucking some eyebrows today and noticed that even with them the head was darker and the rest light and goldeny. You can sort of see the shine in this pic (it is, unsurprisingly, hard to get a good picture of your eyebrows lol)

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp733nu338677247686258ot1lsi.jpg

And whenever I found a hair that was much shorter (I assume it was still growing) it was darker too. You guys must be right and when my hair gets enough sun it will lighten up.

kyandii
April 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Your eyes are amazing :flower:

Anje
April 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Eyebrow color vs. hair color often varies. I actually polled people on it once. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32644) The trend seems to be similar-to-darker, but I've seen many, many people with lighter-than-their-hair eyebrows. And it seems particularly common among natural blonds. On the other side, I'm a redhead with black eyebrows. No one believes my color's natural, though fewer people think I bleach and dye it since it's getting darker with henna..

If you feel like they're too light, you could always do a little eyebrow powder to darken them a bit. But personally, I'd say that your brows go with your hair perfectly fine, and overdark will look strange with your coloring.

long&blonde
April 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
I really like the color your roots are coming in! But I agree with the others who've said sunshine & time will lighten them a bit too. My color is very similar to your's; haven't been dying since last trip to a salon over 6 months ago;they dyed it the ash blonde they'd said would best go with roots coming in white grey. I have a good 4 inchs of grey white with mine. I love yours. It looks like ash blonde with "low lights". Very nice!

McFearless
April 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
No help here.....................but your eyes are so beautiful!

celebriangel
April 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
In my experience it's *very* hard to tell anything about someone's hair from anything less than...oh, say 3 inches of roots? Remember that if you bleached your hair, your roots will look darker than they really are by contrast, and if you darkened it, the opposite appears to happen.

Blonde hair will almost definitely both appear to lighten up as it gets longer - because it's not the dreaded root-contrast thing - and actually lighten up due to the sun getting at them. It's a thing.

I'm doing the same thing - growing out my medium ash (horribly gray-, from what I remember) brown hair which is currently dyed red, 1) So I can actually remember what my natural colour is, and 2) so I have enough virgin hair to assess what would happen if I henna'd. At the moment, my roots a little longer than your length, and...yeah. Can't tell anything yet. I'm planning to grow them at least to my ears.

PS Your eyes are very lovely, and from what little I can tell (it looks somewhere in the medium blonde-pale golden brown region to me), your virgin colour will be much more beautiful with your skin tone and eyes than your current colour. At least, imho. I think you should really give it a chance - maybe with LHC methods, you'll love your natural colour as it shines in a multitone way dyed hair never could? I certainly hated my virgin hair as a teenager, but that was because it was frizzy and bleh and had no shine at all. Now, I swear I see golden tones in my bathroom mirror...where did they come from?

But if you keep dyeing your hair, you'll never know how lovely your natural colour might have been... *encourage* *encourage* *encourage*

PS feel free to PM/friend me for encouragement growing out our roots!

jojo
April 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
The spidy beat me to it!

IcarusBride
April 23rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
My eyebrows and body hair are all black, but my hair is light brown. I don't think it's necessarily supposed to be the same shade!

PraiseCheeses
April 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'm going to echo everyone else here. It'll blend much better once you get a couple inches of roots.

In my teens, I used Sun-In to lighten my hair. When I stopped and let the roots grow just a centimeter or so, I actually had someone say, "Your hair is naturally, like, black, isn't it?" :disgust: (You can see from my pics - all virgin hair btw - that this is rather NOT the case.) I'm just really, really ashy, and that color looked MUCH darker than it actually was, just because of lighting and the contrast with the gold tones of the Sun-In.

Natural ash blonde hair has strange ways of reflecting light. Even now in some lightings, my hair can look dark ash brown! Under bright lights or sunlight it turns nearly to platinum. On reasonably bright cloudy days, it can look grayish. Dyed-blonde hair has a much more limited repertoire. It took me a while to appreciate my mercurial hair color, but I grew to love the changes. I bet you'll appreciate yours more as it grows out. :) And for the record, it is absolutely lovely right now - the ombre look is really becoming on you! :D

Springlets
April 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
I'm going to echo everyone else here. It'll blend much better once you get a couple inches of roots.

In my teens, I used Sun-In to lighten my hair. When I stopped and let the roots grow just a centimeter or so, I actually had someone say, "Your hair is naturally, like, black, isn't it?" :disgust: (You can see from my pics - all virgin hair btw - that this is rather NOT the case.) I'm just really, really ashy, and that color looked MUCH darker than it actually was, just because of lighting and the contrast with the gold tones of the Sun-In.

Natural ash blonde hair has strange ways of reflecting light. Even now in some lightings, my hair can look dark ash brown! Under bright lights or sunlight it turns nearly to platinum. On reasonably bright cloudy days, it can look grayish. Dyed-blonde hair has a much more limited repertoire. It took me a while to appreciate my mercurial hair color, but I grew to love the changes. I bet you'll appreciate yours more as it grows out. :) And for the record, it is absolutely lovely right now - the ombre look is really becoming on you! :D

Lol I did the same thing with Sun-In during high school. No one told me I had black hair thankfully, but that's almost what seems like is growing out of my head right now. I think you are definitely right, ash colors look a lot darker and duller compared to hair dye and more golden colors.

So I forgot about this old pic that shows my natural hair color less than 3 years ago. It's kind of silly, but...

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/oldpicsj-1.jpg

It looks pretty similar to the dyed hair color I have now. People called it light brown but it looks pretty blonde to me now (that's why I started dyeing because I was tired of those comments). I think people associate blonde with yellowness and warmth, so ash colors they dismiss as brown (not here at the LHC of course, we're more educated here).

Anyway, at the time I didn't go out in the sun much, blew dry my hair, used cones and SLS- I didn't know how to take care of my hair. Now that I know what I know through LHC, I'm sure my natural color will be even nicer. :)

PraiseCheeses
April 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
LOL I love that pic! From that and some of the others you have, it looks like our natural colors are fairly similar :)

(Also remember, a great advantage of growing out dye means it's a LOT easier to see growth! ;))

Lianna
April 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
All of you saying dyed hair doesn't have a multi-tonal quality are mistaken, mine certainly does, and I HATE IT :) (so does my natural hair). I wish my hair was the same color in every light, and all the strands the same color, no highlights (natural or not), that's just my taste. I don't think everyone looks better with their natural color either.

It is quite shocking that someone would call your hair (roots) black, PraiseCheeses! My hair is naturally dark ash blonde and didn't bleach at all to my shoulders (almost APL) in my late teens, the roots look ashy today same as that color. I'm pretty sure my hair won't sun bleach if I grew out natural...and that's living in a tropical country! I read this a lot on the "growing out natural" thread, probably most will get sun bleached streaks they want...but not all (like me). I'm loving my bright (orange) red these days! :)

jojo
April 24th, 2011, 03:26 AM
My eyebrows and body hair are all black, but my hair is light brown. I don't think it's necessarily supposed to be the same shade!

Well i am light brown/dark blonde naturally yet my arm and leg hairs are white blonde, my pits are light brown, eye brows and eye lashes a mix of blonde and copper , my other bits are the same as lashes and brows! :cheese:

Springlets
May 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Put an update on the first post. Thanks everybody! :cheese:

BrightEyes7
May 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM
They are blonde! I think the roots always look a bit darker due to shadows and such. But my hair always lightens as it grows. But your roots are most definately blonde!!!

Don't worry too much. Let it grow, and you'll see it's a lot light than you're imagining!

You have gorgeous hair color BTW.

And those eyes!!! OMG! I have blue eyes but your's are BLUE! And so big and shiny and pretty!

ETA: Post 1000!! YAY!

Chetanlaiho
May 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Eyebrow colour doesn't necessarily match your natural hair colour :) I used to be very light blonde when I was younger (I think my eyebrows were lighter then) and my hair darkened to brown-ish over the years. However, my eyebrows are fully black now, not even dark brown but black xD They have been for quite a while, I dyed my hair with semi-permanent (really) dark brown and my eyebrows were still darker :/

I always thought that it meant my hair would eventually become black (which, I'd love) and while it seems to stay darker (as in, not go back to my natural colour after I dyed it) it's still far from black *shrug*

Springlets
May 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM
They are blonde! I think the roots always look a bit darker due to shadows and such. But my hair always lightens as it grows. But your roots are most definately blonde!!!

Don't worry too much. Let it grow, and you'll see it's a lot light than you're imagining!

You have gorgeous hair color BTW.

And those eyes!!! OMG! I have blue eyes but your's are BLUE! And so big and shiny and pretty!

ETA: Post 1000!! YAY!

Lol thanks. Yeah I'm not worried anymore. I'm very happy with the color it is right now, but if it happens to lighten even more? That's fine too! ;)

And congratulations on 1000 posts! (psst go california girls!:cheese:)

Eyebrow colour doesn't necessarily match your natural hair colour :) I used to be very light blonde when I was younger (I think my eyebrows were lighter then) and my hair darkened to brown-ish over the years. However, my eyebrows are fully black now, not even dark brown but black xD They have been for quite a while, I dyed my hair with semi-permanent (really) dark brown and my eyebrows were still darker :/

I always thought that it meant my hair would eventually become black (which, I'd love) and while it seems to stay darker (as in, not go back to my natural colour after I dyed it) it's still far from black *shrug*

That's interesting that your eyebrows got much darker, black even, as you got older. I have seen a lot of people with naturally much darker eyebrows than their hair color- with blondes, brunettes and red heads. It always seems to be much darker too, like if it's not matching the hair color, it will be black or very dark brown. But I've never seen someone with eyebrows lighter than their hair color (except with red heads who I've sometimes seen with super light blonde eyebrows and eyelashes). But, for example, a brunette with blonde eyebrows? Never seen that before. That's what I was afraid I would turn out to be lol!

Lianna
May 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM
A brunette with blonde eyebrows? I'm almost that I think, since I'm in that grey phase of light brown/dark ash blonde.

caiti42
May 13th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I think they look fine. I believe most blondes do lighten up :). I'm quite obsessive about the eyebrow/ hair match up too!

I also laughed hysterically at your very badly drawn (and comment about) your very badly drawn circle. Brought a smile and some laughter to my otherwise boring train trip :)