PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Billie Jo
April 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hi I would like some input. I have a really odd hair texture (at least to me and I am the only one in my family with it) that just does not cooperate. My hair is fairly fine and thing but it is also very frizzy curly. If I get out of the shower and just comb through it (or even if I don't) I have fairly defined curls. But as soon as it gets fully dry it really frizzes.

I am a former active duty Marine and keeping my hair in regulation on a daily basis was just BRUTAL on my hair. I had to keep it pulled back in a sock bun VERY tightly and then (because of my random frizziness) heavily gelled and hairsprayed.

I have been out for a little more than 5 years but my hair is still ridiculously damaged. I try not to but I find myself continually over tightening my ponytail (which I wear nearly everyday). It takes me over an hour if I want to blow dry and flat iron my hair but if it is straight I generally leave it down.

A friend of mine recently got me to try Henna (I have natural auburn highlights in very dark brown hair) and I have since done it twice. I am pretty sure I will be continuing this for a while (though I wish I could lighten it a shade or 2) and I am looking for other ways to repair all the damage I have done in the past.

Before the Henna I could fill a clean brush or comb with shed hair every time I brushed along with what I was shedding through the day and night. My hair also doesn't seem to grow any longer (I have been at the same length for about 3-4yrs). So what do I need to do to start with to get on the right track? I need HELP.

AnnaJamila
April 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hello, Billie Joe!

I would advise a nice trim, then maybe give conditioner only washing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18) a try? Also, the more you use heat to style your hair, usually the more damaged it becomes.

The best advice I've found on here is to read everything you have time for, and choose one thing at a time to try. CO washing has been the best for me, and it's supposed to be SMASHING for curlie girlies!

BTW, if you have frizzy hair I'm sure you already know this, but never use a brush, only wide toothed combs!

silverjen
April 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Welcome!

I don't have any experience with your hair type, so I don't have much to offer there. But I see that you wear a ponytail almost every day. It's possible that this could be causing damage and breakage at the point where the elastic is hitting your hair strands. The hair gurus here suggest alternating between several different styles and updos, rather than wearing the same style every day,to avoid this kind of mechanical damage.

If you look in the articles section, there are a bunch of different updos to try. Some look hard, some look easy; I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

DTsgirl
April 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hi and Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place for hair help!
Henna can be a great way to condition and stregthen damaged hair, so keep that up! I don't use it, but lots of folks here do, and there are many helpful threads on the subject. I believe you can mix it with cassia to tone down the red, but still get the benefits. Cassia also conditions, but is not red; it imparts a gold sheen. So, very pretty.
A lot of us love coconut oil. I just use the LouAnn brand from Wal-Mart, right by the Crisco. Works great. I use it two ways; one is to really slather it on as a deep treatment. My hair looks wet with oil. I run a blow dryer over it until it's warm (not enough to fry your hair, but enought to heat the oil) and then wrap it with cling wrap to my head to hold the heat in and keep it out of the way while it's nasty. After a few hours, I take it down, wash my scalp, the glob lots of conditioner through it all and let that soak for about 5 minutes. That gets rid of the excess oil better than shampoo. Works great for me, but not for some people with very fine, straight hair. You say your hair is curly; this will probably be ok, but you'll have to experiment.
The other way is to use it as a leave in on wet, damp or dry hair. Personally, I have the best luck with dry hair. I get the palms of my hands shiny with oil, and then finger comb from nape down. Then I brush it until it's evenly distributed. My hair gets a nice shine, and much less frizz and fluff.
You may also want to experiment with conditioner only washing, or condition-wash-condition. Can also look into avoiding or reducing the silicone content of your washing products. Some people's hair does not like them; mine loves them, but you and I have different hair :) Won't know until you try!
Another thing to consider is cutting back on heat styling. Heat boils the moisture in the hair shaft and causes it to erupt outwards (like popcorn), causing damage to the hair shaft. When you do heat style, do use a good heat protector to reduce the damage.
Mechanical damage is also something to keep an eye out for. Keep your hair up when possible, and when it is down, try to keep it from whipping around in the wind and snagging on stuff. Comb and brush gently, and do NOT pile all your hair on top of your head when you are shampooing! That causes unnecessary tangles and friction. Just wash your saclp and let the bubbles run through your length. This is quite sufficient for most people, uless you use heavy pomades and waxes. Mousse and hairspray will wash out with the rinsed suds and conditioner.
That's just some of the stuff that has helped me. There is tons more helpful information here, in the articles and other threads. And, I am sure other posters will be able to give you great advice too!
Good luck and glad to have you!

Billie Jo
April 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Welcome!

I don't have any experience with your hair type, so I don't have much to offer there. But I see that you wear a ponytail almost every day. It's possible that this could be causing damage and breakage at the point where the elastic is hitting your hair strands. The hair gurus here suggest alternating between several different styles and updos, rather than wearing the same style every day,to avoid this kind of mechanical damage.

If you look in the articles section, there are a bunch of different updos to try. Some look hard, some look easy; I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

I try not to put my hair in a pony tail as much as possible (nearly impossible with my 3 girls running around (gotta figure them out too). When I do a pony I try to keep it on the loose side (drives me bonkers though since I like that tight feeling thanks to 4 years of it). I can't do headbands very effectively since I have an odd shaped head (made finding the right size gas mask lots of fun).

I am checking out some of the styles and updos but I am not very good with doing my own hair (I know I need practice with it) and some don't seem like they will work with my hair lengths (when dry and frizzy it brushes just barely below the tops of my shoulders but when wet it is to my bras clips in the back).

THANK YOU! I know I seem to be being difficult but I am trying to figure all this out.

Billie Jo
April 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hi and Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place for hair help!
Henna can be a great way to condition and stregthen damaged hair, so keep that up! I don't use it, but lots of folks here do, and there are many helpful threads on the subject. I believe you can mix it with cassia to tone down the red, but still get the benefits. Cassia also conditions, but is not red; it imparts a gold sheen. So, very pretty.
A lot of us love coconut oil. I just use the LouAnn brand from Wal-Mart, right by the Crisco. Works great. I use it two ways; one is to really slather it on as a deep treatment. My hair looks wet with oil. I run a blow dryer over it until it's warm (not enough to fry your hair, but enought to heat the oil) and then wrap it with cling wrap to my head to hold the heat in and keep it out of the way while it's nasty. After a few hours, I take it down, wash my scalp, the glob lots of conditioner through it all and let that soak for about 5 minutes. That gets rid of the excess oil better than shampoo. Works great for me, but not for some people with very fine, straight hair. You say your hair is curly; this will probably be ok, but you'll have to experiment.
The other way is to use it as a leave in on wet, damp or dry hair. Personally, I have the best luck with dry hair. I get the palms of my hands shiny with oil, and then finger comb from nape down. Then I brush it until it's evenly distributed. My hair gets a nice shine, and much less frizz and fluff.
You may also want to experiment with conditioner only washing, or condition-wash-condition. Can also look into avoiding or reducing the silicone content of your washing products. Some people's hair does not like them; mine loves them, but you and I have different hair :) Won't know until you try!
Another thing to consider is cutting back on heat styling. Heat boils the moisture in the hair shaft and causes it to erupt outwards (like popcorn), causing damage to the hair shaft. When you do heat style, do use a good heat protector to reduce the damage.
Mechanical damage is also something to keep an eye out for. Keep your hair up when possible, and when it is down, try to keep it from whipping around in the wind and snagging on stuff. Comb and brush gently, and do NOT pile all your hair on top of your head when you are shampooing! That causes unnecessary tangles and friction. Just wash your saclp and let the bubbles run through your length. This is quite sufficient for most people, uless you use heavy pomades and waxes. Mousse and hairspray will wash out with the rinsed suds and conditioner.
That's just some of the stuff that has helped me. There is tons more helpful information here, in the articles and other threads. And, I am sure other posters will be able to give you great advice too!
Good luck and glad to have you!

No Wal Mart here but I have a place I can order Coconut Oil from (been meaning to but I have a close friend who is allergic so I haven't bothered. But she is moving soon so I won't have to worry about that anymore.

Yeah the wind here is ridiculous sometimes (especially around the towers and other large buildings). Another reason I try to keep it up most of the time.

I have not done anything heat related here at home in nearly 3 years (only when I get my Birthday Ball updo done at the salon).

I plan on keeping up with the Henna and I am looking into someways to possibly lighten it a bit. I was also referred to try the SMT and I am just waiting on my aloe (they only have weird ones here right now).

Billie Jo
April 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hello, Billie Joe!

I would advise a nice trim, then maybe give conditioner only washing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18) a try? Also, the more you use heat to style your hair, usually the more damaged it becomes.

The best advice I've found on here is to read everything you have time for, and choose one thing at a time to try. CO washing has been the best for me, and it's supposed to be SMASHING for curlie girlies!

BTW, if you have frizzy hair I'm sure you already know this, but never use a brush, only wide toothed combs!

Yes I desperately need a trim but I was waiting til I did a Japanese Hair Straightening first but now I am holding off on that.

I have done the conditioner only in the past and at that time I was not happy with the results. I liked the right out of the shower but once it dried I was just not happy. It was still ridiculously frizzy and just gave my hair a greasy feeling no matter what I did. But that was nearly 2 years ago. I have started doing the condition wash condition that was mentioned in the Newbie Links and so far I like that. I am going to continue with that for a while.

Billie Jo
April 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Actually I didn't know that about the comb not a brush but I can seem to get anything done with a comb. Any suggestions?

shikara
April 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
Welcome to LHC Billie Jo. I highly recommend what others have about reading the articles - there's a really good one about growing out damaged hair. And of course, keep it contained somehow. Does finger combing work for you? In addition to typing your hair as you have, it would also be helpful for you to know your hair porosity with regards to moisturizing and conditioning. I'm not sure where you live, but in dryer climates, moisturizing/conditioning can be a different process (so cool to pass on this information, as it was a couple LHC members- Spidermom, for one - who told me about this, and it has made a world of difference in the care and health of my hair!!!) nd out about dew point in this regard. I know there are some threads here about it, and you can also google 'colorado curly'. She has some very helpful information (some of which directs you right back to here)!!!

alwayssmiling
April 23rd, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hi I would like some input. I have a really odd hair texture (at least to me and I am the only one in my family with it) that just does not cooperate. My hair is fairly fine and thing but it is also very frizzy curly. If I get out of the shower and just comb through it (or even if I don't) I have fairly defined curls. But as soon as it gets fully dry it really frizzes.

I need HELP.

This was me.

CO washing - definitely try. Sulphates make my hair frizz badly! If CO doesn't work for you try sulphate free shampoo.

Using regular conditioner as a leave in (much better than ready bought leave in as curlies need something thicker, richer) Experiment but it took me ages to work out I need a generous amount of conditioner to stop the frizz. My hair absorbs a lot of moisture.

Using gel on wet hair help with clumping and stops frizz

I shake my curls into place. If I scrunch it tends to look messy.

I comb with a wide tooth comb whilst I have lots of conditioner on in the shower but after that I don't touch my hair until its dried. Playing with hair whilst its drying causes frizz

If there is still a little bit of frizziness after all that I used a few drops of olive oil rubbed through my palms to smooth it. It takes a bit of practice not to over do it.

Hope this helps you. It really has taken me a lot of experimenting to work out how to deal with my hair without the use of hair straighteners/blow dryer, I also find that as my hair gets longer/healthier the curls and waves are looking nicer.

Billie Jo
April 23rd, 2011, 03:16 AM
Welcome to LHC Billie Jo. I highly recommend what others have about reading the articles - there's a really good one about growing out damaged hair. And of course, keep it contained somehow. Does finger combing work for you? In addition to typing your hair as you have, it would also be helpful for you to know your hair porosity with regards to moisturizing and conditioning. I'm not sure where you live, but in dryer climates, moisturizing/conditioning can be a different process (so cool to pass on this information, as it was a couple LHC members- Spidermom, for one - who told me about this, and it has made a world of difference in the care and health of my hair!!!) nd out about dew point in this regard. I know there are some threads here about it, and you can also google 'colorado curly'. She has some very helpful information (some of which directs you right back to here)!!!

I definitely don't live in a dry climate. I am in Okinawa Japan (read: sub tropics) and we average about 90% humidity most of the time. :)

I will have to look for the article about growing out damaged hair. How do I figure out the hair porosity? (I am still trying to determine what my hair is)

Billie Jo
April 23rd, 2011, 03:26 AM
This was me.

CO washing - definitely try. Sulphates make my hair frizz badly! If CO doesn't work for you try sulphate free shampoo.

Using regular conditioner as a leave in (much better than ready bought leave in as curlies need something thicker, richer) Experiment but it took me ages to work out I need a generous amount of conditioner to stop the frizz. My hair absorbs a lot of moisture.

Using gel on wet hair help with clumping and stops frizz

I shake my curls into place. If I scrunch it tends to look messy.

I comb with a wide tooth comb whilst I have lots of conditioner on in the shower but after that I don't touch my hair until its dried. Playing with hair whilst its drying causes frizz

Even when I don't touch my hair it frizzes. I hate my hair as it is and have for a long time. It has never been friendly to me. I know that is in part because I have never learned to care for it (even though there are many hairstylists in my family they have always been stumped when it comes to my hair because it never behaves the way it should).

When I was little I had fairly straight LIGHT brown hair. Then when puberty hit it became this really dark brown that I have now and the top half (like if you drew a horizontal part around the back of my head from ear to ear) of my hair stayed straight while the bottom part became these really tight kinky cuirls. It finally started to even out when I was about 18 but by then I joined the military and began the slow brualization of it. :(
If there is still a little bit of frizziness after all that I used a few drops of olive oil rubbed through my palms to smooth it. It takes a bit of practice not to over do it.

Hope this helps you. It really has taken me a lot of experimenting to work out how to deal with my hair without the use of hair straighteners/blow dryer, I also find that as my hair gets longer/healthier the curls and waves are looking nicer.

When I tried the conditioner only a couple of years ago (I had been on island for a year by then) it always looked/felt greasy when it was dry but it still frizzed (so I assume mostly from damage and any new growth). I try not to use shampoo everyday even now (currently on the hunt still for a sulfate free one) it is more like once or twice a week (until I began reading here and I am trying the condition wash condition method).

I will be taking a shower later and I will take a picture of what it looks like when I don't touch it at all while drying if that might help a little more for people to see.

Panth
April 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
As far as henna goes, there are masses of people over in the natural haircare section who can help you out (although I'm not one of them!). If you want a paler shade you may be able to get it by mixing your henna with cassia. If you want it more brown and less red you may have success with a henna/indigo concoction.

I suggest you pop over there for some advice. ^_^

Billie Jo
April 23rd, 2011, 06:35 AM
Thank you! I have been reading and trying to gather my thoughts so I can write them out. It is a little overwhelming when you finally find a place that has SO MUCH info. :D