PDA

View Full Version : Hair Helpers. . . .

DTsgirl
April 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Does anyone else have a hair helper that they dearly love, but wish to "fire," lol?
My DH is always willing to help me do my various hair stuff; apply oil, trim the ends, dye the roots, and, last night bleach the whole thing.
So, anyway. I get 4 boxes of bleach. I expect to use all of it. I tell him this. Repeatedly. I want the hair to be soaked with the bleach; I want it to work so I don't have to do it again. ALSO, I tell him do NOT do the roots. At all. They will turn white. Don't go any higher than the back of my head; I can hide that if needed.
So, long story short, I ended up applying 2 bottles of bleach myself, because he thought "barely damp" was good enough. Not so much; I've done that and it is not effective (which I told him!), and my roots are totally white. I had to do most of that myslef, because he just smeared some over half my scalp and it would have looked worse than it does now. So my roots are screaming white, and because the bleach started to dry out between him being done and me trying to re-do it, the length didn't lighten near as much as it should have, and that was the whole point.
He does this when I do my roots too. I buy 2 boxes (beause that's how much it needs) and he uses 3/4 of one bottle, because he thinks as long is it is a little damp with dye, it will work. It never does. It always comes out streaky and we have to do it again a couple days later. He just won't LISTEN! I would do it myself, but I always miss a spot on the back of my head. And since he likes being helpful and likes doing things for me, when my roots start to show, he volunteers to do my hair right away, and it would really hurt his feelings if I said no. I would rather my mom or my sisters do it, but it would make him sad. And if I point out a problem, he feels horrible and apologizes all night. So ACK! Stuck.
I know he is trying to help and bond with me, and I would love that if he would just do it the way I tell him to!
Thanks for letting me vent. I know it's all fixable, and I know I am incredibly lucky to have a husband who will do this for me. Just wish he would do it and not try to conserve dye so much!

Slinks
April 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
lol .. vent listened to :-)

Schmoomunitions
April 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Yep. Im better off doing it myself and then I have him check and tell me if I missed any areas. I went through what happened to you and decided Im better off doing it myself.

Annie Fulton
April 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I think you would be better off doing it yourself, but having him be an eye for you so he can tell you what parts your missing. But since you said he likes to do stuff like that with you in order to bond (sweet!), maybe you could suggest doing something else together in lieu of your hair. Perhaps you both could play a game? Or, as a corny as this one sounds, have what I like to call BNO, or a "buddies night out". You don't really have to go anywhere, but just basically hand out and chill, eat, and talk. I do this with a good friend of mine, and it is great for bonding. Before you realize it, you'll have been talking for hours!

sarahbrownie
April 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
My Mom?

I needed her to take a picture of my newly hennaed hair in the sunlight.

Her response: "You want me to take a picture of the back of your head? What?"

It was embarrassing to explain it to her, even then she was still doing these weird angles and profile shots. I said, "Mom, just the back of my head!"

"Maybe you should brush it first."

:justy:

Parents just don't understand. :p

Firefox7275
April 22nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
I colour my hair when nobody but me is home, because it stinks! :p I used to miss bits at the back when I was blonde but this is only really became a problem when I went red. Now I have a specific technique for the back: I part horizontally with my fingers, use loads of dye in a zig zag pattern, then squish with (gloved) fingers. Not sure how that would work for bleach? If DH feels left out tell him you did it so he could take you out for dinner and show you off!!

DTsgirl
April 22nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
Great suggesttions, everybody! FireFox, I will have to try that. It's an inverted triangle from the crown of my head to the nape of my neck that I invariably miss or don't do well enough. Annie, we're doing that tomorrow! I am really looking forward to it!
I really want this to be the last time I have to bleach my hair. I was trying to get rid of some really stubbon red streaks that used to be black streak, when my hari was red. Kinda, sorta, not really worked. At least they're lighter.