PDA

View Full Version : pre-oiling

Stub
April 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Can someone explain this to me? I never heard if it until I came to LHC. I use a few drops of jojoba oil scrunched on my ends after a wash and LOVE it, but still have some dryness after winter's tortures. Is pre-oiling like a deep treatment? What is the purpose and how do you do it? (IE, do you oil from scalp to ends or less? Do you use a ton of oil or just a dab? How often do you do it and how long do you leave it on?) I tried looking in the various stickies and things but can't find any of this sort of information.
Thanks!!

danacc
April 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
I use coconut oil, and I apply it when my hair is dry. I put it on the length only--earlobe level and down. When I'm done, my hair looks damp. I usually leave it about 30 minutes before washing my hair. Sometimes I leave it in longer.

The effect is similar to a deep treatment. I pre-oil every time I wash my hair, so I use it more often than I would a deep treatment.

Pre-oiling is also used before some herbal washes to protect the hair shaft.

bunzfan
April 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Can someone explain this to me? I never heard if it until I came to LHC. I use a few drops of jojoba oil scrunched on my ends after a wash and LOVE it, but still have some dryness after winter's tortures. Is pre-oiling like a deep treatment? What is the purpose and how do you do it? (IE, do you oil from scalp to ends or less? Do you use a ton of oil or just a dab? How often do you do it and how long do you leave it on?) I tried looking in the various stickies and things but can't find any of this sort of information.
Thanks!!

For me yes it works just like a deep treatment.

This is how i do it i apply it from mid lengths to ends on dry hair the day before i plan on shampooing my hair and leave it on overnight. I read somewhere that a lot of Indian women used to do this a couple of times a week and said it helped them achieve thick glossy hair but of course a lot of that is already in there genes.

Oh and i use a lot of oil, i have found recently that coconut oil done this way leaves my hair the softest but some swear by using olive oil.

Stub
April 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Oh, I thought of another question - I am currently no-poo, baking soda/ACV once or twice a week, but I do use CO in between sometimes and sometimes also WO. (I cannot shower without at least wetting my hair!) Would the CO wash out the oil sufficiently (without rubbing together the oiled strands) or would I have to use shampoo of some sort with the pre-oiling? I believe I have some Suave clarifying shampoo in the bathroom closet....

danacc
April 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
I find that conditioner works better then shampoo at removing the excess oil.

I use CWC (my scalp hates conditioner), but my hair is long enough that most of the length is washed by conditioner only.

Stub
April 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Thank you danacc! I am going to try pre-oiling tonight now. :)

Mírien
April 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
I use coconut oil. I only apply it to my ends (the last 5-6 inches I guess), braid and leave it on overnight. I have never had any problems getting it out. Maybe it is due to the way I wash my hair... I do not do it in the shower because I hate having all that wet hair around my body. Instead, I wash my hair in a huge bowl of lukewarm water. My "mermaid rinses" are enough to get rid of both shampoo and oil and I finish the whole procedure with an ACV rinse poured over my head from a bottle.
All in all, coconut oil does the trick! ;) Nice, soft ends. :eyebrows:

ibleedlipstick
April 23rd, 2011, 12:33 AM
I add Panacea after my shower, and then a tiny bit more every day until the night before I shower (I shower in the morning.) The night before I shower, I slather coconut oil all over my hair, braid it and go to sleep. I wash it in the morning, and my hair loves it!

Stub
April 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM
Well I started with coconut oil but only used a little because I am running low and use it for a lot of other things as well. So I ended up mostly using safflower oil which I hate the smell and taste of for other things. I left it in about 3 hours then washed, but was too afraid to try just CO so did CWC with shampoo. This morning it is SO delightfully soft! I have always had a greasy scalp and it never occurred to me that oiling the length would be beneficial. Thank you LHC!!
(I'm going to get the big tub of coconut oil next time I buy)