PDA

View Full Version : Flat iron on air dried hair

Cleopatra18
April 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
I want to straighten my hair on tuesday because I'm starting exams soon and I know if I leave it with its natural "curly" state I will end up with a huge matted mess in the end.
Anyway I want to avoid going to the salon for many many reasons so I want to do this at home but I don't want to blow dry mainly because I dont know how to do it with the round brush thing or any other way.
Can I use the flat iron directly on air dried hair? My hair is wavy at the top part and much curlier in other parts but if I comb it while damp It'll be straighter.
Also what products should I use? Should I apply my normal leave in (garnier fructis long and strong) when damp then add heat protectant after my hair is dry? The one I currently have is V05 heat protectant cream.
Is there any extra thing to avoid the damage? I plan to shampoo and condition tommorow (first shampoo in 2 weeks),then deep condition on tuesday before I use heat.is this enough?
Last thing,will leaving my hair straight for about 10days will cause extra dryness and splits? as this is when I finish my exams and I don't want to deal with it sooner.

dawnss
April 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
One thing that I know many women do who straighten their type four hair is making sure that you do not use too much heat, with your hair being fairly wavy have you thought about wrapping it, there are really great tutorials on youtube. If you wrap it then you may not even have to flat iron it. With your hair not being extrememly curly I do not think you need to blow dry it. Also you can try a roller set or you can just braid your hair in the mornings, this would be much quicker then spending 15 minutes to a couple of hours heat styling your hair. Also if you plan on flat ironing, I would recommend that the products you use have very little water in them after your hair is dry because then you will hear a sizzling sound which tells you that you are burning your hair. I do not have any other tips sorry I have never flatironed wavy hair, I bet you will look great though however; you decide to style your hair. Your hair looks very pretty in your avatar. Oh and I like your signature.

Cleopatra18
April 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
One thing that I know many women do who straighten their type four hair is making sure that you do not use too much heat, with your hair being fairly wavy have you thought about wrapping it, there are really great tutorials on youtube. If you wrap it then you may not even have to flat iron it. With your hair not being extrememly curly I do not think you need to blow dry it. Also you can try a roller set or you can just braid your hair in the mornings, this would be much quicker then spending 15 minutes to a couple of hours heat styling your hair. Also if you plan on flat ironing, I would recommend that the products you use have very little water in them after your hair is dry because then you will hear a sizzling sound which tells you that you are burning your hair. I do not have any other tips sorry I have never flatironed wavy hair, I bet you will look great though however; you decide to style your hair. Your hair looks very pretty in your avatar. Oh and I like your signature.
Thank you :) My hair was heat straightened in the avatar so that explains lol :p
I did consider wrapping but it just doesn't work with my hair.usually the length becomes straight but the atleast 3-4 inches of roots doesn't straighten at all and that's the curliest part of my hair,even if I make it as tight as I can.

dawnss
April 22nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
You could try a roller set, that really helps to stretch out my type four hair or if all else fails, wrap your hair and then just flat iron the roots at least the length of your hair will not have to deal with the heat. You could also band it. Oh and your welcome.

Kathie
April 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
I agree, when using a straightener make sure your hair is bone dry. Also don’t straighten over the same portion of hair more than once.

GlassEyes
April 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
I'd use the llength and strength on wet hair, llet it dry, then straighten. I'be used sleek and shine before getting my hair straightened, and it works well.

jojo
April 22nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
how about hair wrapping rather than using heat? I do straighten occassionally and always find double the damage after, so for me I am not doing it no more. I find my BBB gives me straighter hair and helps the condition.

PamelaViktoria
April 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
unicure, the egg kind. My fuzzy wavey hair goes very straight when I use it as a gel. Then when I put it in a scrunchy, it gets all wavey.

alwayssmiling
April 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I agree with Jojo. I do heat straighten every now and then and always have to S&D over the next few days to get rid of the dots. I haven't used heat for four weeks now and I struggled to find a single split. If you are definitely going to straighten use lots of coney products. I deep condition my hair beforehand, after shampooing, then use a leavein conditioner, plus heat protection (all should have lots of cones). When I shampoo next I clarify (to get rid of cones) and moisturise, moisturise, moisturise.

|Xei
April 24th, 2011, 12:10 AM
If you are going for the flat iron option, then I'd suggest using a very coney serum on 100% dry hair BEFORE straightening. It's the best heat protectant, although it does not totally prevent heat damage (nothing can). Additionally, if you have it, use the low setting on the flat iron.

Mesmerise
April 24th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Using a flat iron is a personal choice, but no matter how you do it, there will be damage. The best way is to let it dry completely, and ensure it's as protected as possible. As others have suggested, wrapping is also a good idea, and will take out most of the curl. If you wrap prior to straightening you may need to use the iron for less time on your hair to get it properly straight, and thus do less damage than you would if you do it on your normally curly dry hair.

However, is there any reason why you can't just put your hair in a quick updo every day while you're doing exams/studying? I'm just not sure of the benefits of heat straightening your hair if it's just so it doesn't become a mess over exams. (Maybe I'm just missing something though lol).

In general, it takes me less than a minute to do my hair in a quick updo each day, and it doesn't damage my hair at all!

KittyLost
April 24th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I found I recieved more damaged by letting my hair air dry and straightening with a flat iron than if I blow-dried it straight. It can be quite difficult at first to get the hang of but a useful skill especially since it has a cold setting. I found blowdrying my hair upside down when it was long was a great way to get volume and a nice natural looking straightness with a flip on the ends. The key is to do it in sections.

However if you are still set on straightening then try wrapping beforehand, use heat protection, deep condition, leave some oil on your ends if you have any afterwards and don't go over the same bit twice.

julliams
April 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Absolutely make sure your hair is completely dry - in fact I often wait until the next day to flat iron so I'm absolutely sure. If it is the tiniest bit wet you aren't going to get it totally straight and you will find yourself going over and over it to get it to straighten which is obviously not good.

The only downside I can see to you leaving it for 10 days is that it might start to itch as it gets "dirty" and that would personally drive me crazy and you are wanting to remain as calm as you can during this exam time. The longer you keep your hands out of it though, the longer it will remain clean.

All the best for your exams - I'm sure you will find a way to keep your hair out of the way.

Firefox7275
April 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM
If I use the flat iron I always air dry, as the blow fryer makes me perspire and my hair have too much volume. I also feel that with wurls, you have to brush damp hair so frequently and so hard whilst it is being blow dryed that has to be damaging. I always air dried using a low ponytail, brushing/ combing the tail straighter. Sometimes part way through air drying I change it to low pigtails so the middle back gets air dried. A good (read: hot) flat iron will get any kinks out as long as you section properly but obviously that is not healthy for your hair.

alwayssmiling
April 24th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I would also recommend this if you are planning on keeping your hair straight for several days after you flat iron. It works keeping it straight and makes hair very sleek with one stroke.
http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Frizz-Ease/3-Day-Straight-Semi-Permanent-Styling-Spray

FluffSpider
April 24th, 2011, 08:01 AM
If you go down the flatiron route-stay away from moisture in the environment. use a shower cap while showering, and try not to be caught outside when it's raining, because moisture in the air will make your hair revert to its natural, non-flatironed shape:p
Good luck with your exams!

Cleopatra18
April 24th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Using a flat iron is a personal choice, but no matter how you do it, there will be damage. The best way is to let it dry completely, and ensure it's as protected as possible. As others have suggested, wrapping is also a good idea, and will take out most of the curl. If you wrap prior to straightening you may need to use the iron for less time on your hair to get it properly straight, and thus do less damage than you would if you do it on your normally curly dry hair.

However, is there any reason why you can't just put your hair in a quick updo every day while you're doing exams/studying? I'm just not sure of the benefits of heat straightening your hair if it's just so it doesn't become a mess over exams. (Maybe I'm just missing something though lol).

In general, it takes me less than a minute to do my hair in a quick updo each day, and it doesn't damage my hair at all!
If I leave my hair untouched in 10 days:
1.It will tangle so bad especially at the roots if it's not washed within 2 days (thats how my hair works)
2.All my hair becomes stringy,sometimes one big dread,sometimes several small dreads
3.My scalp will itch so much and my dandruff will get worse
4.When I'm done with the exams I'll spend 2 weeks detangling my hair in sections.I wont have this problem with straight hair as my hair never seems to tangle that way.
5.My normal routine requires hair washing 3x per week.On wash day I need atleast 2 hours for that,without the air drying part .
somehow all the above problems doesn't happen with straight hair.After reading all the responses I'm scared I'm going to damage my hair (again) after chopping 8 inches off 2 months ago..
=S!!!