PDA

View Full Version : Frizz control

Sunshineliz
April 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
I'm having a frizz problem. I have fine hair that tends to frizz all over the top of my head. I'm salt and pepper, but both the brown and gray do it, so it's not just a gray-hair problem. I don't know if I have hair breakage, new growth that just likes to curl strangely while it is short, or what. Here's a pic to give an idea.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101649

What should I do?

Firefox7275
April 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Are you sure you are only a 1c? Frizz often denotes curl, perhaps your hair is wavier than you think?

louisemg82
April 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Oh please someone knowledgable answer this! I am desperate to know. Sunshineliz, my halo and yours are clearly twins :)

xoxophelia
April 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I would suggest olive oil and honey for at least an hour to see if your hair is just dry. Then, after you wash gently finger comb your hair into place and then do not touch it. You may find out your hair waves more than you thought and this is really the best way I have found to avoid frizz.

Another thing to note is that shampoo can give crown frizz as well. I started COing when my hair was not overly oily, washing less, and using a more gentle shampoo (Trader Joe's Spa) most of the time instead of always using SLS shampoo and that helped a lot as well.

bella77
April 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have it too, I think most people who have fine and/or thin hair tend to have little hairs that frizz. It's really not frizz, but new growth or the fact that our hair is so fine that it does not lay down flat because it it like a spiderweb, so light and airy. If you were to use say- hairspray and smooth it down, it would stay. I am hoping it's new growth and then as it grows it will blend in with the rest of our hair!!!

for suggestions- you could try aloe gel, adding some to wet hair helps some people. Or whatever oil your hair likes, just a little as it will make you look greasy if you use too much on the top of your head!

lapushka
April 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Smoothing your hair over lightly with damp hands (not wet) often helps as a temporary fix. You didn't waste product. Your hair's not greasy or slick from oils, serums, shea butter, or leave-ins and it calms them down a bit... until they stick back up again when it's dry. :lol: I have them too, and it can be annoying. I tend to only use product on the ends as I have oily hair.

Anje
April 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
My hair's a lot like that, right down to the new growth that curls for a few inches before the hair shaft thickens up.

I find shampoo makes it a lot worse. Do you? CO washing calms it to a dull roar, as does anything moisturizing. A little extra oil, either added or from an even more radical wash method like WO, goes even farther to moisturizing the hairs and keeping them from frizzing, but then you have oil near your scalp.

Moisture is the key for me. The better-moisturized my hair is, the less frizz I get.

WaitingSoLong
April 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
[quote=bella77;1572027]It's really not frizz, but new growth or the fact that our hair is so fine that it does not lay down flat because it it like a spiderweb, so light and airy. If you were to use say- hairspray and smooth it down, it would stay. /quote]

This is what I have. Right now seems to be pretty bad, probably because of a huge shed late last year. I can spray them to death and they will NOT stay down. They are about 2"-3" long and just stick out like little antennae. I figure they will get long enough to smooth out eventually.

Even when I had my head slathered up with a SMT they still stuck out!

bella77
April 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
My hair's a lot like that, right down to the new growth that curls for a few inches before the hair shaft thickens up.

I find shampoo makes it a lot worse. Do you? CO washing calms it to a dull roar, as does anything moisturizing. A little extra oil, either added or from an even more radical wash method like WO, goes even farther to moisturizing the hairs and keeping them from frizzing, but then you have oil near your scalp.

Moisture is the key for me. The better-moisturized my hair is, the less frizz I get.
totally, too much washing makes my hair dry and more frizzy, co washes are good and moisture is key for my hair! The more moisture the better. I am only scalp washing- so a cwc- say every 3 days and then co washes in between. I am using a lot of oils right now to keep it moisturized so I am washing my scalp more than I want to, when my hair is more manageable, I am hoping to be able to cut down on the oiling and only wash once a week with shampoo bars- all I use now- and just co the rest of the week.

Sunshineliz
April 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Actually I'm rethinking my hair type as this is what it did the other day when it dried down overnight while I was sleeping (ie no messing with it until after it was dry)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7507&pictureid=100178

See how the ends are curly? I pulled back the sides in the photo, they're less curly. Don't know what to type my hair now. I'm still going with fine hair though.

Yes it definitley gets 'poofy' after I shampoo and condition. The frizz seems worse the first day after washing. But it doesn't entirely go away. I usually only wash twice a week. Perhaps I SHOULD try CO, does it clean well? I have a toddler who quite often gets stuff in my hair.:) I'm trying CO for DD5 but haven't done it much yet.

I tried AVG the other day when it was slightly damp and it worked for a few minutes, then they popped right back to where they were.

Maybe I should oil it? I'm not sure now, but I was definitely a dry-haired kid. What is the best way to moisturize it?

Would any of these methods be bad/dulling for silver hair?

Anje
April 22nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
I think CO cleans pretty well, but it really depends on the grossness of what gets in the hair. Oil comes out beautifully with CO, but I'd be the first to reach for shampoo if a diaper got dropped on my head! Pulling hair back might help minimize the amount of yuck that gets in it. :)

With my hair, treatments like the SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) seem to be the best way to moisturize. Other people get better effects from oils, often especially coconut and olive. It takes some experimentation to figure out what works best for yourself.

CurlyZ
April 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Why don't you try the CG method (leave in condish, gel, plopping) ?
I would LOVE to see the results, because I think there are more curls on your head than you know!

WaitingSoLong
April 22nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
I would LOVE to see the results, because I think there are more curls on your head than you know!

:patrol: PEER PRESSURE

DO IT. DO IT.

I wanna see, too!

jojo
April 22nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Looks like new growth to me, pretty noticable once you start going more natural in your hair care. Frizz amongst all the length is when wave or curl is present.

jojo
April 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Actually I'm rethinking my hair type as this is what it did the other day when it dried down overnight while I was sleeping (ie no messing with it until after it was dry)

See how the ends are curly? I pulled back the sides in the photo, they're less curly. Don't know what to type my hair now. I'm still going with fine hair though.

Yes it definitley gets 'poofy' after I shampoo and condition. The frizz seems worse the first day after washing. But it doesn't entirely go away. I usually only wash twice a week. Perhaps I SHOULD try CO, does it clean well? I have a toddler who quite often gets stuff in my hair.:) I'm trying CO for DD5 but haven't done it much yet.

I tried AVG the other day when it was slightly damp and it worked for a few minutes, then they popped right back to where they were.

Maybe I should oil it? I'm not sure now, but I was definitely a dry-haired kid. What is the best way to moisturize it?

it does look to be in the wavy category, but id wait until your a little longer for a true typing, your hair is gorgeous. Lemon juice rinses ( a teaspoon in apint of warm water) brighten grey and AVG will help with those new baby hairs.

Sunshineliz
April 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
I think CO cleans pretty well, but it really depends on the grossness of what gets in the hair. Oil comes out beautifully with CO, but I'd be the first to reach for shampoo if a diaper got dropped on my head! Pulling hair back might help minimize the amount of yuck that gets in it. :)

With my hair, treatments like the SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) seem to be the best way to moisturize. Other people get better effects from oils, often especially coconut and olive. It takes some experimentation to figure out what works best for yourself.

Hahaha no diapers on the head thank goodness:D. No, more like sticky, food covered fingers and it doesn't happen ALL the time, just sometimes.

I hate experimenting, but I guess I'd better try--the frizz isn't going to go away by itself I've learned.:p I read somewhere though that honey can lighten your hair--I DON'T want to do that. Would that happen in the SMT method?

I think you'd better direct me to an explanation because I'm a little confused what that is? Trying to wade my way through the sea of conflicting info is hard sometimes.

I was actually a little excited when I chopped my hair off a few months ago because I had noticed the bottom half of my hair curling if I left it alone after washing and thought I might get some nice curls! I got some wonky waves mostly and the ends 'flipped' so I was a little disappointed.:( But I tend to comb out my hair when it is wet (or at least keep running my fingers through the sides) so maybe that's part of the 'no-curl' problem?

If you're curious there's a pre-cut picture in my album where one of those messy curls is falling forward so you can see what it used to do. I call it one of my "depressing" pictures so I don't want to post it in the thread.:o

Anje
April 22nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I read somewhere though that honey can lighten your hair--I DON'T want to do that. Would that happen in the SMT method?
It could potentially.

My latest cheapskate modification on the SMT is to use light cornsyrup rather than honey. No peroxide in that, so no lightening, and no color to darken it either. As near as I can tell, all sugar syrups (honey, molasses, maple syrup, corn syrup, cheapy fake pancake syrup...) all have similar humectant properties in an SMT and can pretty much be used interchangeably.

bella77
April 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM

nope, co would be fine for your hair, see how it works. I too have a 2 year old, and it's ok for me, but everyone is different. Some people love it, some don't. Experiment and see what works best for you. It does look like new growth to me and it just hasn't caught up with the rest of your hair.!!!

bella77
April 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
It could potentially.

My latest cheapskate modification on the SMT is to use light cornsyrup rather than honey. No peroxide in that, so no lightening, and no color to darken it either. As near as I can tell, all sugar syrups (honey, molasses, maple syrup, corn syrup, cheapy fake pancake syrup...) all have similar humectant properties in an SMT and can pretty much be used interchangeably.

if you microwave honey for a few seconds it kills the bacteria that will cause a lightening effect.

Sunshineliz
April 22nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Well what would you have typed this? (I cropped out everything but the curl--sorry but this is the best pic I could get of non-messed with hair before I cut it)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101651

This is when it was washed and air-dried and I don't think I combed it:o

I'll have to look up what some of these terms mean (like "plopping") and see what they do to my hair. I washed my hair yesterday (actually twice--stupid bird deciding to poop on my head, yuck!), so I'll wash it sometime late tomorrow using some other method. Hmmm...what should I try first?

jaine
April 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Drying my hair in a bun with gel totally smooths out those curly little popup hairs. I like a gel that hardens as it dries (max green alchemy sculpting gel is my favorite) but it becomes very soft and smooth after it's dry and combed out.

I like drying my hair in a bun where I wrap my hair around one finger without twisting it, and secure it with a claw clip ... kind of like one big pin curl. That gives me the smoothest bun waves.

I see a lot of suggestions about oiling or moisturizing hair, but these curly popup hairs still happen to my unstyled hair regardless of how moisturized it is - they're just curly hairs that don't follow the surrounding wave pattern. They have to be wet set in a way that blends them into the surrounding wave pattern.

Damp hair, gel, comb, bun, dry, then comb out the crunch ... works very nicely for me.

CurlyZ
April 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Well what would you have typed this? (I cropped out everything but the curl--sorry but this is the best pic I could get of non-messed with hair before I cut it)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7507&pictureid=100950

This is when it was washed and air-dried and I don't think I combed it:o

I'll have to look up what some of these terms mean (like "plopping") and see what they do to my hair. I washed my hair yesterday (actually twice--stupid bird deciding to poop on my head, yuck!), so I'll wash it sometime late tomorrow using some other method. Hmmm...what should I try first?

Here is the link to "plopping" on NaturallyCurly.
It's described really well!
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop
Give it a try and show us the results!

Firefox7275
April 23rd, 2011, 11:09 AM

*feels smug* Yey another wavy and wurly! :D I'm new to Curly Girl stuff but have done a couple of CO-washes (Inecto coconut) and shocked at how clean my greasy hair felt! Now I'm scrunching when wet instead of brushing my hair straight the poof is starting to become ringlets; with my last CO-wash my baby hairs went super curly. CG method recommends leave-in conditioner, which might be good for you as it's time efficient? :)

anniebelle
April 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
My hair tends to be a bit frizzy too. Thank you for the suggestions.

I do the Curly Girl method, too. I usually don't wash with shampoo every wash. I'm willing to do the CWC method.:)

Sunshineliz
April 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Okay, you asked for it. I shampooed (to clarify the old cones), then CO washed (cone-free conditioner), then left in a little of the same conditioner, then put in AVG, then a little garnier fructis leave-in for good measure (DH has the most beautiful curls and he swears by it), and then 'plopped' with an old T-shirt. I could only leave it that way for 20-30 min. and then I let it finish drying down (I had to get to church!) These pictures are after a few hours of church. I think it was more curly when I first took it down.

Sorry in advance for the size, and for four pics, but I couldn't decide which one showed the 'curls' better.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101084 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101080

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101081 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101079

What do you think? There was definitely less frizz, regardless of what it looked like.

Slinks
April 24th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I would suggest olive oil and honey for at least an hour to see if your hair is just dry. .

okay, after reading this, here I sit with honey, olive oil and a hot oil, sticky goo mix, in my hair with gladwrap wrapped round my head .. lol .. but not because of the frizzies but just because :-) lol .. now I'm procastrinating what workout to do while I wait
:cheese: thanks !!

Slinks
April 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I didn't read the rest of this thread before my experiment .. good job Sunshineliz !!

dulce
April 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
1 have curly light brown /gray hair that can frizz-what helped me is to use tiny bit of shampoo on scalp and no shampoo elsewhere on rest, just hair conditioner, when washing ,the let airdry,and add a liquid hair shine serum over wet ends and canopy while still wet[that's in addition to hair conditioner in shower].while 1 let airdry if 1 go outside and it is windy-frizz!so it needs to air dry with no disturbance-if 1 do an exercise dvd while air drying-also frizz..so reading,watch tv or computer time for me while airdrying..

louisemg82
April 24th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Looking good Sunshineliz!

growingpains
April 24th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Do you use cones? I just tried cone free and found it dealt effectively with most my frizz:)

You look great wurly and straight:)

Sunshineliz
April 25th, 2011, 08:29 AM
ummm...what am I supposed to do with my hair second-day? It's a little less curly and a little more frizzy from sleeping on it. It also feels a little "producty", if I may make that word. I want to take a brush to it but I'm afraid I'll just make it explode with frizz when I do....

I also plopped DD5's hair last night too. I saw it for a bit when the T-shirt fell off her head last night and it was looking pretty nice and quite curly!(She might be a 3a!) I put the T-shirt back on her head and she slept in it, but it fell off her head and even though she's got some nice curls, she still has a alot of frizz from rubbing her hair around on her pillow. I don't know what to do with it! (I'll see if I can get a pic up of her hair a little later today)

WaitingSoLong
April 25th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Maybe finger comb some serum through it? Thanks for the pics! I came back just to see them :O)

Sunshineliz
April 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Just in case you're curious, this is the second-day hair showing curl/wave loss and some frizz. :( (And no makeup, etc., but I digress...)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101155

Sunshineliz
April 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks so much for the help everyone, and the next day suggestion WaitingSoLong! It worked so well for DD5, I just had to share. Sorry in advance for size.

This is her on a fairly good day with hair that had been wide-toothed combed while wet.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=101154

This was her serious bedhead after the t-shirt fell off during the night while plopping after a CO wash and AVG gel.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=101151

After finger-combing some AVG (thanks again WSL!)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=101152 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=101153

I guess she's not a 3a (more like a 2c?) but it still looks nicer! Usually it's just a big frizz ball and I throw up my hands in frustration.

As for me, I think I put too much leave-in condish in (and I think it was a cone--I'll have to check again) Someone told me yesterday they liked the "sexy wet look" I was doing--which might be fun sometime, but I'd like to not look wet all the time. (Especially since "sexy wet" might not have been good for Easter Sunday? LOL:o) Next time I try it'll be AVG only (and maybe some coconut oil before? We'll see.

lapushka
April 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Gorgeous waves and wurls! I'd say your daughter might be bordering on 3a too, maybe 2c/3a? I don't know for sure, but it's gorgeous nonetheless!

feb26
April 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
OK, I have wave only on left side..right side has no wave, bottom has no wave. I do have frizz all the way down and it is the light, airy "spiderweb type frizz" but damp hands/hairspray does nothing to help it. I use bedhead's control freak serum as it's the only thing that DOES work, I only wash once every 3-4 days and only use "natural shampoo" -no SLS, etc. (prarie naturals shampoo)

any advice? would love suggestions

WaitingSoLong
April 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM
You are welcome! Glad it helped. That is quite a mane your DD has to tame there.

BTW, I LOVE your eyebrows. I have serious eyebrow envy. LOL

I have a huge left sided nape wave going on. I shall have to take pics sometime. It is probably what will keep me from ever getting a pixie.

principessa1984
April 25th, 2011, 01:53 PM
OK, I have wave only on left side..right side has no wave, bottom has no wave. I do have frizz all the way down and it is the light, airy "spiderweb type frizz" but damp hands/hairspray does nothing to help it. I use bedhead's control freak serum as it's the only thing that DOES work, I only wash once every 3-4 days and only use "natural shampoo" -no SLS, etc. (prarie naturals shampoo)

I have super curly hair that's prone to frizz. I use to use Frizz-Ease, which worked like a charm. But, now I'm going the natural route. Daily condish + a little oil daily KILLS frizz for me. Even in 900% humidity, I get minimal frizz (read: my hair on bad hair days still gets compliments!)

Firefox7275
April 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Curly Girl method would have you spritzing and scrunching second day hair, but how good it looks seems to depend how controlled your first day hair was. I have been known to wide-tooth comb and then spritz and scrunch, but that was to make it possible to leave the house, not work or socialise. :o I *think* my 50% silk pillowcase helps, and some CGs apparently put their hair in a 'pineapple' overnight (loose pony on top of the head).

Firefox7275
April 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Do you mean you have that right after washing or on the second/ third/ fourth day? If I have fluff like you describe I can't rescue it, but that is diminishing each time I CO-wash and/ or let my hair air dry from wetter. CO-washing meant giving up SLS and cones so I can't truthfully say which worked it's magic. Or at least the fluff was diminishing until I SLS-washed my head this afternoon: I have static, woo hoo. :rolleyes:

WaitingSoLong
April 26th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Can someone explain why humidity causes frizz? :confused: You would think it would do the opposite.

Sunshineliz
April 26th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Can someone explain why humidity causes frizz? :confused: You would think it would do the opposite.

I was wondering that too. Maybe the hairs just sense the moisture in the air and decide they need to stretch out and seize it for themselves!:D

yes, I'm getting a little frizzy today too. I finally broke down yesterday and used my brush because I felt stringy and frizzy instead of wavy, despite using some AVG. And yes it got frizzy and didn't look too good. I also looked at that leave-in DH recommended--yup FULL of cones. I NEED to clarify! Have to try all this again maybe tomorrow to see if I get a better result. DD5 isn't up yet so I don't know what her frizz will do today.

Rin4Christ
April 26th, 2011, 07:24 AM
My feeling about humidity is that the extra moisture in the air allows the hair to go to its default shape. My hair has some curl that calms to a mild wave if I brush it after its dry, but if I don't touch it, it has some defined curls. Similarly, the frizz lays down when I first brush it, but as soon as it picks up some water from the air from high humidity, it "re-dries" with whatever shape it feels like.

feb26
April 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Frizz is right after I wash hair, or anytime I brush it when dry.

Sunshineliz
April 26th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I can see DD5's hair now and I followed someone's "pineapple" suggestion last night. Her hair looks pretty good! It's only a slightly less curly than yesterday and not really anymore frizz. I may tame her hair yet!

xoxophelia
April 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM

Well hair is between 10-15% water dependent partly on the water content of the air. More humidity would result in more water in the hair shaft, interacting and weakening the H-H bonds in the keratin fibers causing reassembly and new folding on the protein fibers. Messes up neat drying, forces a higher water concentration than normal=frizz

xoxophelia
April 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM
As far as your wet-sexy look goes and wanting something a bit more tame for day to day, I think part of your problem is that you are completely going by the curly girl method for your hair when your hair is loose waves. The method makes the hair form clumps better which helps a whole lot with hair with spirals and the product is a bit less noticable. The same products that my mom, a definite 3a (leaning a little to 3b) can use I definitely cannot. The one time I tried my hair just looked stringy.

It takes some playing around for wavies to find out what works best. That is partly why I suggested the olive oil/honey prewash or really you could just do any type of oil (though sugar syrups really bring out shine). When I personally do that, enough reside is left to decrease frizz and it even brings out my wave but enough is also washed away that it doesn't look or feel producty.

As far as your second day hair goes, I think that is what updos are for.. or half ups, front pieces pinned back. With your hair though as long as you didn't do much product day 1, I think you could either brush it out gently or run damp hands through your hair.

Basically with wavy hair it seems for product less is more. You want to use just enough if you need it to keep things a little bit more tidy but not so much that you see the product.

SpinDance
April 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Looks like you're definitely a curly girl! Very pretty.

Sunshineliz
April 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
You're probably right xoxophelia. DH's hair is coarse and definitely in the 3s and it was the condish HE loves that I left in! I didn't put it in DD's (who is still probably curlier than me) and just used AVG and that looked better. I caved to peer pressure :) and tried plopping--but I'm still curious to see what it will look like if I try it without so much product--maybe just a little AVG. I'm not used to being shorter-haired and I keep trying to apply products and shampoos and such as if I still had my long hair. Now I wish I'd found this site before I cut my hair and tried all this out on my longer hair--just to see what happened.

I also like sleek hair so I want to try oil and maybe other stuff. Definitely don't like stringy. Guess I'm just going to have to accept that it's going to take a while to figure it all out (I always want my answers NOW:o)

Sunshineliz
May 1st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Just to be clear--if all over frizz denotes some curl, is THIS what you mean?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101650

That hair was washed with a coney shampoo and conditioner and then brushed and finger-combed alot while drying and was brushed just before pic was taken.

Sunshineliz
May 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM
Also, DID try plopping again just to see what it did with just a little AVG. Also didn't use clarifying shampoo before CO wash. This is the result:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101654

I pulled the sides back partly because the top dried a little funny--it was almost in that position anyway--and partly because I was in a hurry. (Yes I plopped it all night, but that was because I had no patience to let it airdry in ways that would not produce frizz--I did that the other day and I was frizz-city trying to go about my day with damp hair. It worked on DD5 and her hair was dry by morning so I tried it too.)

Sorry, my back of head pics aren't turning out, but there is less curl in the back than sides and front.
I'm getting the Curly Girl book for DD5 and me--I saw there is a section on wavies, so maybe it'll help orient me. (I'm still gonna try the oils and maybe a sugar syrup though)

Sunshineliz
May 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
And just because I feel like it, I'm posting the second day hair from this last plop too.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101692

Oh well, I'll get it right sometime.

CurlyZ
May 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
You have some pretty curls there!!!!!
What is AVG by the way?

Sunshineliz
May 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks, that's sweet. Especially since one of my friends told me in her opinion my hair looked skeevy when she saw that picture.

AVG stands for Aloe Vera Gel.

On the wavy thread they told me that Garnier PureClean hasn't been working for a lot of people as a CO wash (I'm sure it works for some) and that might be why I think my hair feels bad to me and why my friend thought it was greasy.

I just washed with Selsun Blue (ALS instead of SLS) and whew I'm not itchy any more! Then I conditioned with an old Paul Mitchell conditioner I have that only has two cones far down on the list. I'm going to drip dry and see what I get.

Impatiently awaiting my CG book in the mail.....

Sunshineliz
May 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Hahaha, I'm probably talking to myself, but I just can't leave my thread with those last pictures as an end result! What if someone really looked at the thread again? I REALLY don't feel like me in those and my hair FELT horrible.

Shampoo wash, condition, and drip dry later--THIS is more what I look like. (And mostly feel ok with and have less frizz, although not GONE. I'm trying not to reach for the hairbrush...) BTW I look more or less silver depending on where I part my hair, and I parted on the more silvery side.

Front
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101840

Back (hey I actually managed to take a pic of it, yay!)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101841

Large spiral at nape on right side
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101842

Another on left
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101843

So I guess everybody was right and my all-over frizz meant I wasn't a straighty! I might try CO washing again, but after the CG book gets here, and with a different conditioner. That Garnier PureClean felt awful and lotiony!

I'd still like to have to option of LOOKING straight sometimes, without the frizz and without a flat-iron. I'll have to look up ways of doing that. (Or maybe if I'm not talking to myself somebody could point me in the right direction?)

WaitingSoLong
May 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Just wanted to say I am still reading this. I just don't have any comments! LOL

Sunshineliz
May 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hahaha thanks WaitingSoLong! I was feeling a little awkward talking to myself...even on the internet...:D

tigr
May 4th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I've been following this thread too. It's been great watching you experiment. And thanks for reporting back on how the process went. It's amazing to see those spirals in those last pictures. You went from frizzy to curly! That's awesome!

I also want to say that I think it's very brave of you to experiment with your hair. I've always been very conservative with mine. But I also have experienced some frizz problems recently. So your bravery may (may!) inspire me to experiment with mine (no guarantees!).

Mesmerise
May 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I'd still like to have to option of LOOKING straight sometimes, without the frizz and without a flat-iron. I'll have to look up ways of doing that. (Or maybe if I'm not talking to myself somebody could point me in the right direction?)

Have you tried wrapping your hair? I experimented with it a bit last week, and it got to the point I was quite happy with how straight it made my hair (it was just a challenge to sleep with my hair wrapped lol). I would say it brought my hair down to a 1b maybe 1c? Errm and I know I'm down as a 2a but a lot of my hair is certainly wavier/wurlier than that (my hair is weird), I think it would be at least as wavy as yours if not even frizzier!!).

Wrapping didn't give me hair straightener straight locks, but it did make it look and feel pretty straight! I did find, though, that the straightness didn't last as well, and by the second day it wasn't looking as straight as the first, and by the third day I wore it up :rolleyes:. Usually if I heat straighten, I can get another two good straight days, but wash it after that because of the greasies.

SpinDance
May 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I'm reading along also. Thank you for sharing your experiments.

Sunshineliz
May 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Grrr.....Amazon finally sent me an email saying my order had shipped. Still awaiting CG book....

I think I'll oil next wash--still not quite sure how to do that. That won't be today though unless I get really dirty. I will be at a horse barn, but not riding horses, so I'll probably be fine. My hair isn't feeling greasy yet, and the wave has fallen out a little, but I'm using a wide comb and the spirals are still hanging in there under the rest of the hair.

Of course I know that some of these ideas will take time to show results. I think after a few curly experiments, I'll try to wrap my hair too to try out straight, non-frizziness. Plus I still have to look up how that is done!

Sunshineliz
May 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I think the routine I described for DD5 is definitely a good idea! I washed her hair yesterday and thought it needed a good clarifying (plus she'd dumped dirt all over herself at a stable!) so I did a regular shampoo and condition. I didn't leave any condish in and I didn't AVG. I DID plop for a while and then let air dry. She became a puffy frizz cloud! (At least her hair is fine and not thick and so can't completely overwhelm her.) I can't be sure if that was the shampoo, the lack of leave-in or gel, or the active-little-girl-airdrying! I'm guessing she definitely needs the moisture she was getting before and the drying while she sleeps helps too. (Plus she's asleep and not worrying about her hair.)

CG book still not here, but I need to wash tonight and I finally found an article here that describes oiling, so I might try that with some coconut oil. Still, the frizz is much better and I think that's because I'm using the comb, not the brush, and it airdryed in the first place. (Plus I was using a violet shampoo a lot before my experiment--I was paranoid about yellowing my silver.:rolleyes: I normally only wash twice a week and when you read people saying use it once a week, you don't realize they're talking about everyday-washing people! I think it was very drying.) The spirals are still here too!.....under the other hair where you can't really see them....oh well.

Copasetic
May 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I get a frizzy halo when I wash my hair too much. Oil works really well for me.

jojo
May 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Front
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7708&pictureid=101840

you are so pretty and a perfect example of how letting those silvers shine can be beautiful.

Sunshineliz
May 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks so much Jojo, that's very sweet. (And helps with the commitment to the silver.:))

CurlyZ
May 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hahaha, I'm probably talking to myself, but I just can't leave my thread with those last pictures as an end result! What if someone really looked at the thread again? I REALLY don't feel like me in those and my hair FELT horrible.

Shampoo wash, condition, and drip dry later--THIS is more what I look like. (And mostly feel ok with and have less frizz, although not GONE. I'm trying not to reach for the hairbrush...) BTW I look more or less silver depending on where I part my hair, and I parted on the more silvery side.

So I guess everybody was right and my all-over frizz meant I wasn't a straighty! I might try CO washing again, but after the CG book gets here, and with a different conditioner. That Garnier PureClean felt awful and lotiony!

Curls: Did you ever try the plopping with just a little normal hair gel and "scrunching" after hair is dry? It makes nice curls and they don't look wet or greasy.

Straight: If you don't want to use a flat iron, why don't you blow dry with a big round brush? That's what I do when I want to get rid of the curls and frizz.