PDA

View Full Version : How is my French-braiding going?!

SwordWomanRiona
April 22nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
These are some of my current attempts at French-braiding. Still not as neat as I would like, but...Am I getting better? Do these at least look like French braids? :)
Any tips to get more neat results at nape-level, anyone? :D

The pics are huge...I can't make them smaller!!
-Last week
http://1i1qpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pvikyEx_9R1m8R2aOCuGh130bc9WsWMaPgmGAQeNclUrwDLd cn1S23oEosZ_fl0kkDAYW1H4U5eKl00YV7XqY9crnJGD4Bmcx/100_1904.jpg?psid=1

-Today
http://1i1qpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1phFyNjReBjnMER72PAdLkWjqwnmath0F0HRJSB8qm9kf7sia FB4uIAy9W9de67gMpU3OGJ03WzTwgVCN1Rq5_QIHOV8kcp_Wi/100_1951.jpg?psid=1

http://1i1qpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pk_ZpIeF7L8OpPfXNKrP38oXvj4QMu0HbTRaWn30XYmo4dRE bcfYol6txfsdGWjJAwil1foznrIICAPCHdBo5ggm8jWHm6jUK/100_1952.jpg?psid=1

spidermom
April 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
It looks like you have the technique exactly right. Practice improves neatness, although I've been braiding for 30 years and sometimes I can't get a neat braid to save my life.

MsBubbles
April 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous in a french braid! It looks like you're doing it right! I have the exact same problem at the nape-level, no matter how much I try to pull it and yank it so it's more taught down there. Even if I get it tight into the braid, it slacks off five minutes later and the whole thing just about comes apart.

I think it has to do with the shape of my head/neck area, my hairline there, and the slippery hair type.

I shall be watching this thread for tips!

schweedie
April 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
What I've found works for getting it (relatively) neat at the nape is leaning my head back and looking up at the ceiling while I add the last few pieces, if that makes any sense. It was a tip I got from some lovely poster on here, and it works more often than not! But I agree with MsBubbles, the nape is tricky and I think it has to do with the hairline. Mine is a bit wonky, which doesn't do my French/Dutch plaits any favours.

And SwordWomanRiona, your plait looks gorgeous! I'm amazed at how many sections you've managed to do and keep it tidy looking with no hair cleavage. I couldn't do that to save my life.

Fingolphin
April 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
I think it looks great, and your hair is nice and shiny and healthy-looking! :)

Gumball
April 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
It's definitely going well! Practice does help tidy it up a bit, but I know all too well that slippery hair tries to fight even the most snug braids without something to give it any traction. GF's hair does the same thing. Your braids look outstanding!

When it comes to getting it snug at the nape, there is something to consider. When you're braiding, are you doing it both snugly and holding the strands close to your nape? It can be snug, but if you aren't holding it as close as you can get, it's just snug a little further from your neck, which looks looser once you let go.

Melanie Marie
April 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I know a trick to eliminate the annoying poof I always used to get with the French braid.

You braid all the way down your head until you reach the last two sections for each side of your head. Instead of joining the right section with the right strand, however, you join it with the left strand. And then with the left section, you join it with the right section to form an X at the nape of your neck.

I have been wearing French braids ever since. :D

Madora
April 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Your braids look great.

To help avoid the "sagging" on the last 2 braids nearest the nape when you are braiding, hold the braids up - try to braid a little against gravity. Also draw them snugly against your scalp..but not too tightly.

MsBubbles
April 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
What I've found works for getting it (relatively) neat at the nape is leaning my head back and looking up at the ceiling while I add the last few pieces, if that makes any sense..

Thanks! I will try that...then the other suggestions too, once I get my brain around them.

*Rose Red*
April 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
it really looks good!

CastaDiva
April 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Your braid looks perfect to me:) You have really beautiful and shiny hair!!

Debra83
April 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
With all that shine, it was hard to see the braid...but I thought you did a wonderful job. I wear a "french braid" attempt out of the house on occasion, and it doesn't look HALF that good. Way to go!!!!

SwordWomanRiona
April 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Thank you all for all your great comments and tips! You LHC fellows are wonderful! :flowers: I'm definitely trying all your advice to see if I can get neater results at nape-level!

jojo
April 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
OK only one complaint please pre warn us that we may need sun glasses to view the photos. Your hair is way to shinny for my liking;) and your braid is just too perfect!:D

Good job, it looks brilliant!:cool:

ps to prevent braid sag, try tipping your head forward, looking at your feet and braid over your head, not to the side. It takes practice, but a 9.5/10 for effort!

MissManda
April 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Your French braids look much neater than when I was still getting the hang of them. :) And oh my goodness, is your hair shiny! I don't have any more tips on making the nape area since everyone has already given great tips.

If, however, you would like to see a demonstration of the two bottom sections you add in being crossed over, see Torrin Paige's video here (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige?blend=12&ob=5#p/u/56/YC_unKDz_JA).

Fufu
April 24th, 2011, 12:28 AM
It looks perfect to me :)

SwordWomanRiona
April 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Thank you!! :) I think tomorrow I'll French-braid again, and I'll start trying all your great suggestions.
About everyone complaining because my hair's too shiny in these pics, I suppose super-fine straight hair has to have some advantage or other, hasn't it! ;) I'll have to pre-warn everyone, like jojo said: 'Notice: sunglasses required. Flash has been used.' :cool::p

RitaPG
April 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
That definitely looks like a french braid :D

Toffee20
April 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Your hair & plait look beautiful =) Is definitely a french plait, no question ! !

ps to prevent braid sag, try tipping your head forward, looking at your feet and braid over your head, not to the side. It takes practice, but a 9.5/10 for effort!

Ohhh.. thank you for this tip! I shall try this =)

arc691
April 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/GlitterTextPersonalityDescriptionDR.gif

It looks terrific to me! Well done!!

Lianna
April 25th, 2011, 01:26 AM
*puts on sunglasses*

Your hair looks beautiful. I'm amazed at how many sections you got, I get lazy at this part. :p For a neater nape look try to keep your hand near your head/body at all times until you past shoulder, like you don't have hair to spare.