PDA

View Full Version : Do I need protein or moisture?

louisemg82
April 22nd, 2011, 04:23 AM
Yesterday I went on to Kirin's hair diagnostic article and thought I'd give it a go. I've got this week off work - why not use it to make my hair fabulous? ;)
So I clarified, I clarified again to make sure and left it to dry. Well, what on earth does 'wadded' hair look and feel like??? I couldn't decide if I was wadded or just plain old dry. I just couldn't work it out. I mean how do you know if your hair has formed bundles because it's wadded or just dry and tangly?
I ended up mixing up some yogurt with olive oil and honey to get both protein and moisture and of course now my hair looks great again but I don't know why. Was it the protein or the moisture? Any hints for how I can tell the difference between wadded and dry?

bunzfan
April 22nd, 2011, 05:55 AM
I don't know if i am correct here but i remember reading if you stretch a wet hair and if it snaps quickly and easily you need moisture and if it is stretchy it needs protein, i did this yesterday and it said i needed protein and after doing a protein treatment followed by moisture it is lovely and soft now.

louisemg82
April 22nd, 2011, 06:09 AM
Ohh thanks. I'll try that and see what happens,

LisaMonster
April 22nd, 2011, 06:13 AM
What did you use to clarify? I'd say that doing so twice in a row is probably what left it tangly.

louisemg82
April 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
I used tresemme vitamin c clarifying shampoo - only one I could get. On Kirin's hair diagnostic guide though it says to clarify twice or even three times to get rid of build up if you need to and I haven't clarified for nearly 5 years - so I thought it needed twice.

Panth
April 22nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
I used tresemme vitamin c clarifying shampoo - only one I could get. On Kirin's hair diagnostic guide though it says to clarify twice or even three times to get rid of build up if you need to and I haven't clarified for nearly 5 years - so I thought it needed twice.

Clarifying is a good start. However, not only does it remove all build-up (especially if you do multiple clarifying washes in a row) but it also removes all the sebum that protects your hair.

I suggest doing the trick that bunzfan mentioned on a couple of shed hairs. If the hairs snap immediately, moisture is needed. If they stretch out a little before breaking, and if that gentle stretching is reversible, that is what you're aiming for. If they stretch masses, and the stretch is irreversible (e.g. like gum vs. like a hair tie) then you need protein.

However, if you do decide on a protein treatment it is best to do so in moderation and to follow up with a bit of moisture. A little goes a long way for most people and often the treatments are drying. In contrast, many people find they just can't get enough moisture and it is impossible to overdose on it - their hair just drinks it up. So, if you need protein try a little to start with and increase if you seem to need more. If you need moisture you won't have to be so careful and can (on most people) just slather it on.

pepperminttea
April 22nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
I don't know if i am correct here but i remember reading if you stretch a wet hair and if it snaps quickly and easily you need moisture and if it is stretchy it needs protein, i did this yesterday and it said i needed protein and after doing a protein treatment followed by moisture it is lovely and soft now.

I thought healthy hair was meant to be able to stretch? :confused:

Anje
April 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
I haven't been able to make much sense out of what "wadded" feels like either. I'm sure it makes sense if you feel it, but I can't help much.

I like the descriptions of assessing protein/moisture balance found in this article. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html) Maybe that'll help you more?

louisemg82
April 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I haven't been able to make much sense out of what "wadded" feels like either. I'm sure it makes sense if you feel it, but I can't help much.

I like the descriptions of assessing protein/moisture balance found in this article. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html) Maybe that'll help you more?
Thank you, it does make more sense. I've also done the stretch a shed hair thing now and I'm pretty convinced I need moisture. I suppose I've got too much protein from my henna treatments. It would still be interesting to find out what 'wadded' feels like though!!

Panth
April 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
I thought healthy hair was meant to be able to stretch? :confused:

Stretches a little and pings back = healthy.

Stretches lots and doesn't go back to unstretched length = too little protein.

So, yes and no. ^_^

pepperminttea
April 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Stretches a little and pings back = healthy.

Stretches lots and doesn't go back to unstretched length = too little protein.

So, yes and no. ^_^

Ah, now it makes sense! Thank you! :)

cupcake0619
April 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
whats the best protien treatment to try..?
also are there any natural like diy protien treatments that might help?

louisemg82
April 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cupcake, I put yogurt in my mix - that's the protein part.

Anje
April 22nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
whats the best protien treatment to try..?
also are there any natural like diy protien treatments that might help?
I've heard good things about Aphogee and Joico K-PAK products. I think both are fairly intensive. Protein treatments are often called "reconstructors", so keep your eyes open for that word.

Be sure to follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment, as they're typically drying. I can't offer you any reviews from my own experience since my hair dislikes added protein.

CurlAhead
April 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM

My "top hair" snaps quickly but my "under hair" is stretchy, though when it is dry...does this mean that my hair needs both protein and moisture?

louisemg82
April 23rd, 2011, 04:45 AM
I'd think so - but then again, I'm no expert, that's why I posted this! :D

Mesmerise
April 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM
My "top hair" snaps quickly but my "under hair" is stretchy, though when it is dry...does this mean that my hair needs both protein and moisture?

Again it depends on the quality of the stretch! If you stretch it and it doesn't "bounce" back, then it needs protein (sort of like a rubber band that's been over stretched...and has lost its stretchiness). I think most hair won't get to this stage unless it's had a fair amount of chemical damage (at least in my experience...this only happened when I bleached my hair severely).

If your hair has elasticity and stretches a little and bounces back, without breaking too easily, then it probably doesn't need protein.

Sounds to me as if your top hair needs moisture and your bottom hair is probably fine (in which case, just moisturise the lot :D).