PDA

View Full Version : Finally! The world becomes more like LHC!!

sarah061
April 21st, 2011, 11:52 PM
I just found this article about the success of giving up shampoo on a mainstream fashion and style blog!

http://www.refinery29.com/we-ve-finally-been-convinced-to-give-up-our-shampoo

The article discusses the experiences of a few fashion magazine writers who gave up on shampoo (years ago for one!) and says her hair did not have any "weird smells, grease or scalp freakouts."

Awesome! :cheese:

LotusFIre
April 21st, 2011, 11:57 PM
The world? HMM thats a stretch.
If you read the comments most of them are saying EWWW gross!!!
It's a start though :)

christine1989
April 22nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
Great article! It's still funny that they talk about it like it's a new concept though- CO washing has been around here for years. It looks like we on LHC were "cool" before anyone else. ;)

sarah061
April 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
The world? HMM thats a stretch.
If you read the comments most of them are saying EWWW gross!!!
It's a start though :)

I don't know, I only read the first page of comments but most them seemed to me to be saying that they've already been trying this and liking it ... ?

LotusFIre
April 22nd, 2011, 12:07 AM
I don't know, I only read the first page of comments but most them seemed to me to be saying that they've already been trying this and liking it ... ?
Oh well, sorry, I didnt read a lot of them either, maybe I just see more of the negative since it bugs me. ;)

sarah061
April 22nd, 2011, 12:17 AM
Oh well, sorry, I didnt read a lot of them either, maybe I just see more of the negative since it bugs me. ;)

Haha, I totally do that all the time ;)

Braidy
April 22nd, 2011, 12:56 AM
Great article! I'm under the impression that most people who reacted also approved of washing and shampooing far less frequently. I myself am also rather reluctant on giving up shampoo all together cause I'm not up for the adjustment period but I wash one or two times a week and it looked like a lot of people who reacted did something similar. And of course... there's always those people who just like to bash things they're not familiar with. If they must stay in their own little world, just let them...

GourmetChica
April 22nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
I love Refinery29, although reading it tends to make me go broke!

I don't CO wash but I want to try it soon, but here are my thoughts on the article:

It's too bad she didn't explain more about the surfactants in the conditioners and how they do work to clean hair.

Also, about dry shampoos, many contain alcohol, (if they are not just cornstarch based) so can't those potentially be more drying or damaging than shampooing? Just food for thought!

And this will probably freak mainstream people out, I am using an antifungal powder as a dry shampoo on off days and I love it! It is whitening though (It's called Desenex) so probably would not work well for non blondes. It's my little experiment as an alternative to Monistat for hair growth.

Thanks for posting the info!

inty
April 22nd, 2011, 04:05 AM
Nice to see article like this, although...
I think LHC is more like "use whatever works, don't be afraid to experiment and enjoy", not just 'give up method X, use method Y'. There's always something that works for some other beautiful-haired member, but not for you; and the other way around!

WaitingSoLong
April 22nd, 2011, 05:33 AM
I am always unimpressed with articles I read online. Not this one, but the other day I saw an article about "10 most common blow-drying mistakes" and I read it. It basically told you nothing but the disturbing part was when it said that if your hair is frizzy after drying, it is because you didn't dry it long enough (thoroughly enough). It did say something about holding the dryer further away from your head but not because of heat, but because it will dry faster if you do.

I read another article that I THOUGHT was going to have some decent LHC type advice. It was about straightening your hair. The title gave the impression it was bad. It did mention the use of products you apply before heat styling to protect you hair, but other than that it promoted flat irons heavily.

And one more was about a "tired working woman" whose hair was bushy, dull and lifeless and they did a make-ver on her that included so many chemicals I thought I would faint, straighteners, and general heat usage and the results were, of course "soft, silky, shiny manageable hair". OK! Maybe for NOW. Wait a couple months when all that damage starts to show.

I am not against dyeing, chemicals, or even heat styling, especially if you are going to keep your hair short, most the damage will be cut out before it becomes a huge issue BUT I disliked that they promoted overdoses of chemicals as a way of FIXING damage. sigh.

Firefox7275
April 22nd, 2011, 05:46 AM
Also, about dry shampoos, many contain alcohol, (if they are not just cornstarch based) so can't those potentially be more drying or damaging than shampooing? Just food for thought!

And this will probably freak mainstream people out, I am using an antifungal powder as a dry shampoo on off days and I love it! It is whitening though (It's called Desenex) so probably would not work well for non blondes. It's my little experiment as an alternative to Monistat for hair growth.

Thanks for posting the info!

A dry shampoo is only applied to the roots and few apply it all over - just crown and fringe (bangs) for example. So only strong hair will get treated and only until it's long enough to not be roots any more. I balance that with the risks entailed in wetting, combing and styling my whole head, including the delicate ends. Plus my hair bleeds less colour, which means less frequent chemical treatments ... Of course, YMMV. :)

Chetanlaiho
April 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Most people would still freak out they, hell they do that if I tell them I wash with conditioner :/ (really, they won't believe me no matter what).

I try to avoid mentioning it usually, too tired to argue xD but now a friend of mine asked me to help her hair get healthier and I think she may benefit from CO but alas, I don't think I can convince her to give up the shampoo xD (she's looking for non-SLS now so that should be a start ^_^)