PDA

View Full Version : Evil twisted bobby pins

LotusFIre
April 21st, 2011, 11:47 PM
I was wondering if any of you have had this problem. I am just getting used to doing updos, buns etc and I use(and lose) a lot of bobby pins, so I had to buy more. I got the Conair secure hold bobby pins, the same kind as I got last time. But this time around, almost every time I open one of these suckers, they twist and mangle themselves. Ive already lost a few hairs to these evil things! Did I get a bad batch or does this brand not work well?
Is there a better bobby pin?
Is Scuncci a better brand? I noticed it was more expensive.
I am going nuts with these stupid things, and I dont think I'm opening them too far or anything. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Dragon
April 22nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
I’ve only ever had that problem with the ones from the cheap shops. It’s sure a pain when that happens.

LotusFIre
April 22nd, 2011, 12:26 AM
I’ve only ever had that problem with the ones from the cheap shops. It’s sure a pain when that happens.
I got them from walmart, but they were cheap, only a dollar. Are scunci better?

Miss Catrina
April 22nd, 2011, 12:44 AM
I don't recall what brand mine are, but they do that to me, too. Not while in my hair, thank goodness, but they get bent out of alignment very easily when I open them. I think they're Goody...

Dragon
April 22nd, 2011, 12:52 AM
I use a brand called Bull Pins which I brought from a retailer that supplies stuff to hairdressers. But I do find with them that I have to be extra carefull to not rip hair out with them. I’ve never used scunci so I’m not sure what they are like.

Dragon
April 22nd, 2011, 12:56 AM
I diden't get mine from here but here is a link to show you what they look like.

http://hairsupplies.com.au/store/product/19942/Bull-Pins-Bobby-Pins-Bronz-250/

Madora
April 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Bobby pins are meant to hold small amounts of hair.

To secure an updo you need crimped hair pins..which can range in size from 2 inches to 3-1/2 inches.

Many here prefer Good Day Hairpins (faux tortoise shell plastic) or Amish Hairpins (straight with no crimps).

The way you place the pin in your bun/braid makes a difference too.

Don't just stick in in. Weave the hairpin thru the bun/braid. Also, hairpins are much easier to manipulate than bobby pins and you're not constantly fighting to release them from your hair and losing strands in the process.

Firefox7275
April 22nd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Are you losing hair when yuo insert of remove the pins? To remove I put my first two fingers either side of the pin (holding the strand of hair), and use my thumb to push the pin out. If I pull the pin out it always gets caught up.

Melanie Marie
April 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
I use Goody bobby pins, and the only problems I have are due to my own inexperience.

Anje
April 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
I usually mangle bobby pins. Maybe if I got better ones it would make a difference, but I just switched to U-shaped pins. They're a lot more effective for securing buns, while bobby pins are better for holding back little sections.

I particularly like Amish pins, which are really stiff U-shape pins. They hold buns well.

LotusFIre
April 22nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys I am getting some U pins. I will look for the other types too.

HintOfMint
April 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
I actually like the Scuncii ones better. I thought I wouldn't notice a difference, but I think they're designed better, somehow.

But I only use them for pin curls, pinning back bangs and holding up stray strands, they aren't a big part of my updo repertoire. I use spin pins for those.

LotusFIre
April 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
I actually like the Scuncii ones better. I thought I wouldn't notice a difference, but I think they're designed better, somehow.

But I only use them for pin curls, pinning back bangs and holding up stray strands, they aren't a big part of my updo repertoire. I use spin pins for those.

I want to try those spin pins but I'm afraid they will not stay in my slippery fine hair! I recently watched a tutorial on pin curls and they look so cute I want to do them sometime.

Anje
April 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I can't speak to the new spin pins, but the old ones ("Hair scroos" on eBay (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=hair+scroos&_sacat=See-All-Categories)) aren't going to slide out of slippery hair. Takes way too much twisting getting them in for them to accidentally fall out. The new Goody ones don't look like they're as tight a twist, though.

bella77
April 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
oh yes- I love my spin pins- they hold a bun very well for my fine/thin hair!!

LotusFIre
April 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
My list of hair things is getting longer by the minute XD

Slinks
April 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
My list of hair things is getting longer by the minute XD
lol ... yeah !!! it happens to me too :-)

Honestwitness
April 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
I found that *not* opening bobby pins works better for me, at least when I do a bun. I just put them on the edge of the bun, perpendicular to my head, then tilt them lower and slide them in. For a cinnabun, which is the only bun I wear, I put the pins in every 1.5 inches or so as I wrap the coil around, starting before I get the entire coil in place. So I twist, wrap, pin, twist, wrap, pin. I find this holds very well and the pins don't get twisted.