PDA

View Full Version : Best multivitamin for hair growth?

agoddess2die4
April 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
I was wondering what mulitvitamin people take to help their hair be healthy and long. I've heard from some women I've met that their prenatal vitamins helped their hair a lot when they were pregnant. Is this true? Are they safe for non-pregnant women? Are there any specific ones that seem better than others? Thanks!

jojo
April 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Be very careful in taking multi vitamins. I used to take them and they pushed me into mild renal failure.

Its better to evaluate your diet and make adjustments accordingly, its hair, it grows don't risk your health for an extra 1/4" a month!

Quixotica
April 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Be very careful in taking multi vitamins. I used to take them and they pushed me into mild renal failure.

Its better to evaluate your diet and make adjustments accordingly, its hair, it grows don't risk your health for an extra 1/4" a month!

How exactly did it push you into mild renal failure? I'm just curious, medical stuff intrigues me :)

agoddess2die4
April 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM

Was it from too much iron? I know pregnancy requires more iron than a woman usually needs. That's something I didn't consider and I have healthier levels of iron than most women. Hmmm...

virgo75
April 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM
I'm curious about the best multivitamin for hair growth as well after reading squiggyflop's 3 year anniversary thread where she says she got more growth by taking Natrol Hair, Skin, & Nails vitamins and Centrum.

I wouldn't try to take the mega doses of biotin & MSM that some take separate from a multi. I'd be afraid of making myself sick or doing some sort of damage. But I wouldn't mind taking a hair specific formula that includes those ingredients in high(but not mega) doses.

Dragon
April 22nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
I don’t think vitamins help much with hair unless you are low in something. Also if you decide to get one, I wouldn’t take the prenatal vitamin as it’s specially formulated for pregnant women and maybe to high in some stuff. There are ones that are specially designed for women which would probably be the safest.

Firefox7275
April 22nd, 2011, 05:00 AM
Please do not take individual or small groups or megadose supplements without the advice of a suitably qualified medical professional. Vitamins are far from the whole story for health or hair, the body needs minerals, essential fats, protein and calories in general. As Jojo says it is safer and more effective to optimise your diet.

Panth
April 22nd, 2011, 05:52 AM
I was wondering what mulitvitamin people take to help their hair be healthy and long. I've heard from some women I've met that their prenatal vitamins helped their hair a lot when they were pregnant. Is this true? Are they safe for non-pregnant women? Are there any specific ones that seem better than others? Thanks!

Another thing to consider: pregnancy, in and of itself, generally helps hair a lot. So, the effects the women you spoke to mentioned could well have been from the pregnancy, not from the vitamins.

When a woman is pregnant, her hair follicles stay in anagen (growing phase) a lot more than normal and for longer than normal. Thus, when pregnant, many women notice thicker or generally "nicer" hair. When the woman delivers the baby, her nutritional and hormonal levels go back to as they were when she was not pregnant. This can cause a lot of the hair follicles to go into telogen (resting phase) and shed their hairs - resulting in the common post-pregnancy mega-shed of hair. Some people have reported that they did not get a shed, or as bad of a shed, because their hormone levels were not so abruptly altered because they breast-fed.

Kwongdzu
April 22nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
I don't know if it's the best, but I just take One a Day, multivit for women. But I also am better about making sure I eat with it, and drink more water through the day...seems to help

Chetanlaiho
April 22nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
I take prenatal vitamins without being pregnant, I looked at the ingredients first and basically every vitamin included was the recommended daily dose save for folic acid and D vitamins, which were twice the daily recommended intake. I've heard of both being said to be good for hair growth and I have noticed no negative side effects after taking them, but no huge improvement in hair growth either. But I have to take a multivitamin anyway so I figure I might as well take this one :)

Kunoichi
April 22nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
I take the Shaklee Daily Multivitamin. On the bottle it says to take 2 a day, but I only take 1. I know I don't eat enough veggies, so I'm sure I need it. I'm not a big fan of taking any medication though...

Fairlight63
April 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
I take Daily Total One by Country Life. I bought it at VitaCost on line.
It has a bunch of things in it.

TheBluffs
April 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
I take one D vitiam a day, becasue I know hair will grow faster in the summer (At least my mother told me this..), and Vitiam D=Sun. :D