PDA

View Full Version : Thin with thick hair?

PiroskaCicu
April 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm relatively thin, and I've heard and had people tell me that one can't have thick hair while being thin. :confused: I don't think this is true unless it is an unhealthy weight.

What do you think?

Juneii
April 21st, 2011, 05:40 PM
That's silly, I have friends who are tiny and have massive amounts of hair on their head :) and there are cases where it's the other way around.

PiroskaCicu
April 21st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Juneii, that is also what I thought.

CurlAhead
April 21st, 2011, 06:34 PM
Do you mean thin as is skinny? Because that is possible, I have ii/iii hair and am pretty thin...Probably had even THICKER hair before I gained some weight! :D

spidermom
April 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm sure that if somebody got skinny from unhealthy causes, like anorexia, they'd probably end up with thin hair, too. Otherwise I don't see the connection. I had a friend in the past who had at least the high end of ii hair, otherwise she was pretty skinny. That's just the way she was built. She used to go on campaigns to gain weight but didn't succeed.

FoxRain
April 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
That's pretty stupid. Unless you have anorexia or something, I see no reason why you can't have thick hair and be thin.
I think it might be because some people associate thinness with illness, and when your body is ill your hair is likely to suffer too and get thinner. But being naturally thin? No connection.

MissManda
April 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
What Spidermom said. :)

My DF and I are both slender and have iii hair. Actually, a good friend of mine who is the skinniest person I know has fairly thick hair, too. He just has the uber metabolism.

The notion that thinner people cannot have thick hair is just plain silly. It has way more to do with genetics than anything else.

jojo
April 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM
I don't get what your asking for? anorexia is the only thing I can think of weight wise which would cause thinning hair. If your naturally thin and have thick hair, obviously it is possible!

christine1989
April 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM
The only thing (aside from genetics of course) that would prohibit a thin person from having thick hair is malnutrition of some sort. A healthy thin person should be able to have healthy thick hair just like anyone.

HintOfMint
April 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM
That's very strange, I've only heard of people talking about malnutrition or anorexia preventing thicker hair, but not the inability for healthy thin people to have thick hair.

Granted, I've heard that skinny, tiny people SHOULDN'T have big long hair (yes, this was directed at me not too long ago) because it overwhelms my frame.

Ah well. People will always talk out of their bums. 'Tis life.

Firefox7275
April 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Actually there IS a connection, however it depends what you mean by thin and what the individual's diet and general health is like. :shrug: I would note that being healthy and not having any diagnosed medical conditions are not one and the same.

In females particularly a low body fat percentage can cause changes in hormone levels; bearing in mind hormones control everything from sleep to appetite to fertility to mood, this may have knock-on effects on health. In some cases slightly low bodyfat may affect the female hormones sufficient for ovulation to cease but menstruation may continue as normal. At very low body fat percentages, such as in anorexia, the cycle may stop entirely. Other non-essential processes the body may down-regulate include immune function and hair growth.

BMI - the relationship between weight and height - is not the best indicator of health as some slim women carry little muscle and therefore have normal or even high bodyfat percentages and vice versa. Though a healthy body fat is recommended to be minimum ~20% for physically active young women (higher in older age groups), without blood tests one cannot be sure how this is affecting hormone levels. It's unusual to be 'naturally' slim or overweight, the vast majority of the time it is down to diet and activity levels combined, tho sometimes there may be an underlying medical condition (such as PCOS or IBD) and muscle mass plays a key role.

HTH. :)

princessp
April 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Yes of course, I am a iii and have been relatively thin my whole life.

Aveyronnaise
April 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Meh , I have been skinny my whole life and I hair enough for 3 people .

sakuramoon08
April 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
So not true. My friend is 4'11 and weighs about 90 llbs and has classic, really thick hair. I love looking at it.

McFearless
April 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
No matter how thin you are, if it is natural, you will have thick hair if its in your genes. Easting disorders are another matter.

Aimskylove
April 22nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Most people associate being thin with malnutrition which can thin your hair out so I can see why someone would say that. But there are many cases where some people are just naturally thin and for the life of them cannot gain that extra weight (I know because thats me! lol). I have a fast metabolism and can eat many huge meals and still gain little to no weight but I have pretty thick hair!