PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about scalp build-up?

ladyashley
April 21st, 2011, 01:22 PM
I have white build up on my scalp. I notice it when I scratch my head if it itches, there is always some white stuff under my nails. I guess it is dandruff? I don't want to use a dandruff shampoo. Are there any natural treatments that I can use? What causes the build-up in the first place?

racrane
April 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
I get that - for some reason, only in the late fall to early December and then I'm fine - and I use a sensitive scalp head and shoulders once a week. That does the trick for me. I understand if you don't want to use dandruff shampoo, but it did work...

spidermom
April 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Just about everything and anything causes buildup. It could be dead skin cells, residue from shampoo, conditioner - anything really.

What I do is comb and brush my hair thoroughly before washing it, then be very careful to leave it hanging down all around. Wet head/hair. Put shampoo into squirt bottle with a small amount of warm water, shake well. Squirt this mixture all over your scalp. Now take a shower comb or your fingertips and comb in the direction of your hair from front to back all over your scalp. I pick up the comb or my fingers at the nape area and put it/them back at the beginning in a slightly different position and repeat over and over again until I'm absolutely sure that my entire scalp has been combed/finger-combed. Then rinse. Follow with a diluted vinegar rinse if your hair tolerates it. My hair gets wildly fly-away (and its bushy enough already) so I very seldom use vinegar.

louisemg82
April 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Henna is a natural anti-fungal/dandruff treatment. It's very good for the hair as well as the scalp. Of course, it will dye your hair also. To use as an anti-dandruff treatment, it is suggested to leave it on your head for about 30 min - 1 hr. Depending on your natural hair colour of course, a red sheen will still be imparted to your hair even leaving it on for such a short time.
I've also heard ACV rinses are good for killing off dandruff. Finally, if you live near a LUSH or use their mail order service, they have a range of natural dandruff treatments, such as a shampoo bar called 'soak 'n' float' and a massage bar called 'snake oil'. My hubby gets an itchy scalp and I use the snake oil bar on him - it really helps. Just be careful to melt it first - if you rub it straight on to your head, you might pull out or damage your hair.

Anje
April 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
To some extent, everyone gets that. It's skin and sebum and stuff. And if it's white, it's pretty clean -- it gets more yellow or gray as it gets dirty and dusty. Fresh henna changes it orange. Dandruff is more like masses of oily flakes that are in your hair and fall out. (Not to be confused with dry skin flakes in the hair, which can be remedied by doing more moisturizing stuff to the scalp.)

If it's just a small amount, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a bunch of this gunk, you could try exfoliating the scalp. One of the more popular methods around here for that is to mix a bunch of brown sugar with a bit of conditioner, apply to the scalp, and scrub well. Then rinse it all out.

ladyashley
April 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I used to henna, and I did notice that is helped a lot. I am growing out my henna now though, so I don't want to use it anymore.

I think I'll try the ACV and brown sugar. I actually had a scalp massage done about 4 months ago and she took a fine tooth comb and exfoliated my scalp REALLY well with it. I had no build up for two months or so. Maybe I should go have another one of these done too.

spidermom
April 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
By the way, what you describe does not sound like dandruff.

pelicano
April 21st, 2011, 04:09 PM
I agree - sounds more like a combination of skin cells and sebum (which is a grey sort of a colour).

Athena's Owl
April 21st, 2011, 04:48 PM
yeah it's not dandruff. basically if you detangle your hair before you wash you can use a fine toothed comb to lift that stuff up and off - and then when you're washing, concentrate on cleaning your scalp. That's the real focus of washing your hair anyway.

RocketDog
April 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
I get that kind of 'scruff' if I don't make sure to finger-scrub my scalp well enough. I've been doing castor/jojoba/triple moon oil scalp massages every other night lately and they seem to help a lot, but I'm sure the massaging and scalp scrubbing helps just as much as the oil itself.

neesalena
April 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
I get the same thing and apparently it's something I've had since I was a little girl.

I have to find a balance between keeping it in check, and not washing my hair too much.

I can't really comb my hair until it's wet, so I remove as much as I can while in the shower. Sometimes I use a boar bristle brush, which feels lovely. My shower also has a focused stream option so I try to use that to help get it out.

good luck finding a solution!

Denise