PDA

View Full Version : Getting hopeless in finding a natural shampoo and conditioner! Might start wo?

Magicknthenight
June 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Well for quite the while now i have been searchin hi and low for a natural shampoo/condictioner with no harsh ingredients. Now i'm sure this would be easy if i could just order something off the internet..but i cant. So all i have is CVS and Walmart. Going there i search through all the kinda promising shampoos and condicitoners but they ALL seem to have harsh ingredients! I have been using Rusk sensories calm for shampoo and garnier fructis sleek and shine for condicitoner. I only use those when i CWC and i use free me freesia vo5 when i CO. Well i thought i was ok with using these...but i realized im not! The garnier fructis may make my hair uber soft in the shower but once it drys it is kinda dry and fluffy. so im constantly dealing with my hair being too dry! I've been doing this for quite a while so i just tried to space out washing or just braid my hair lean over the tub and shampoo my scalp.Then wrap a towel around the wet part..clip the dry part up and get in and shower hoping my hair doesnt fall! But it is kind of a hassle and a real strain on my neck. Not to mention it tends to give me knots. My hair is usially soft when i go a while without washing though sometimes it can get a little dry and i usially just wash it to get rid of the greasies. But i have been looking for a natural shampoo and condictioner with no harsh ingredients for so long! i have no idea what to do!! i wish i could get it off the internet but i cant! So am i doomed to stand at the local stores staring at ingredients for the rest of eternity!?!
Is their somewhere i can go in my area or some kind of mainstream shampoo/condictioner that isnt harsh?!
i really would like to find something i am getting desperate. I might go WO no poo...i did it once not this past school year but the one before. My hair was a mess! sometimes i would condition the ends and i would use a BBB but about 5 and a half weeks i caved and washed my hair. It was really soft! I could try doing it again this summer!! MAYBE if i wear my hair up alot i can get away with it...i'm not sure.(its iffy..i dont really know many updos) I remember a little like using cornstarch on my bangs (which were the worst!) and the BBB part but thats it. My birthday is soon actially on the 19th and we are going to oceans of fun. I could start after that...because i would need to wash the cholorine out of my hair from the pools. i could try it and hopefully have it down by the time school starts but i dont want to have to hid in my room all the time i wanna have fun this summer and not be annoyed by the greasies!
So i guess im asking..should i keep searching for less harsh shampoo/condish. or just give up and start WO? and where can i possibly find some shampoo and condish. like that, that is not online?

:owow long post haha

Toadstool
June 16th, 2008, 05:39 AM
For me, I have tried quite a few different natural shampoos from the health food shop but they all made my hair feel dry, rough and terrible. Now I use expensive salon shampoo and conditioner and they suit my hair much better - it feels really smooth and my hairdresser said it is not damaged at all.
This may not be what you want to hear if you want to go the natural route, but for me it didn't work.

Katze
June 16th, 2008, 06:34 AM
why not using natural things like vinegar, honey, egg, rhassoul, etc?

When I was first starting out on the path to healthy long hair, I wanted to get rid of chemicals - understandable because of how much I'd damaged my hair bleaching and dyeing it for so long! Rhassoul (Moroccan clay) and oiling were how I first got into natural hair care. However, since my hair's fine and damaged anyway, I felt like Rhassoul made my hair drier and was possibly damaging it, while oiling made my hair lank, dark, greasy, and stringy.

'Natural' shampoos didn't seem to work better or worse than drugstore ones, but I HATE the perfumy-fake scents of drugstore products, and smelling like fruit or food is totally out for me. So I was 'natural' by default. Until I decided that 'cones (silicone-derived oils) helped my hair look better, and started using perfumy, drugstore Dove. ;)

Here in Germany these products are MUCH harder to find - no Burt's bees in the drugstore - so I have to pay more for them. But the drugstore products are 99% coney and full of junk.

What I am trying to say is that it is hard, but perhaps is not as hard as you are making it. Maybe diluted sulfates once in a while aren't terrible for your hair? I found out, through trial and error, that my best hair is actually shampooed hair! My fine hair and sensitive scalp prefer to get really clean a couple of times a month.

WO might work for you - it does seem to work for some people, but I think many people also 'mix' it with other things - alternating WO wash with other kinds of washing, using WO but honey or vinegar or baking soda or...or...

Again for me WO doesn't get my hair or scalp clean, but I do keep trying it, because once in a rare while it leaves me very soft hair.

At the end of the day it's up to you, of course, but all of this is just to say that you CAN find something that works for you and it may just be something different than what you *thought* you 'should' use!

honeybunch
June 16th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I know what you mean. I want to try bentonite clay which is suppose to clean and condition the hair. I've given up on finding anything natural. Lately, I have been using mostly rosemary hair tea and a commercial conditioner which is a little more natural, but I'm not sure if I want to use the latter anymore. I had bought this conditioner b/c it had sunscreen in it, but I'd like to give shea butter another shot.

Hermoine
June 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Possibly something by Aubrey organics might help. They're all natural and are pretty popular.

If oiliness is an issue, try the green tea clarifying shampoo or camomile luxurious volumizing shampoo conversely if you are a bit dry, then the AO Rosa Mosqueta Shampoo and Condish is great as is the AO Honeysuckle Rose GPB Shampoo & Condish.

http://www.aubrey-organics.com

Euphony
June 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
When I'm not washing my hair with hair soap I use ABBA, it doesn't have sulfates. For conditioner I either skip it and use a tiny amount of oil or I use L'Oreal Vive, the conditioner i use is for wavy or curly hair that's long - it doesn't have any 'cones or protiens in it.

I don't know how you'd feel about hair soap but perhaps go to your local farmer's market or some craft fairs and find some soap makers, one of them might have hair soap. Mine and my husband's hair and scalp have benefitted tremendously from using hair soap.

rockstarmommy
June 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
qwertyuiop

Blueglass
June 16th, 2008, 10:50 AM
try poo bars, like chagrin valley, or morrocco method international shampoos, through both tend to leave my hair tangly and greasy. Honestly, when it comes to shampoo I fee as if I'm better off with a commerical product.

SHADOWSCODE46
June 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
The Target next to my house just started carrying Giovanni and Avalon brand shampoos and conditioners. Both are natural chemical free brands that seem to work on my hair pretty well. I don't know if you have a Target anywhere near you though. Also if you have a mall near you, you could check for GNC. They carry several lines of all natural personal care items.

I second the Giovanni. I just purchased their Smooth As Silk line and I love it. The conditioner is awesome. I have been using their Direct Leave In for some time now and I am really impressed with how well their products work being natural and organic and yet reasonably priced. I have also heard of Avalon, but I have never seen their products here in NYC. I don't think they are 'natural' per-se, but they do not have sulphates in their shampoos and I think some of their conditioner might not have any silicones.

I also have to say Aveda. Their products are all natural and any sulphates or cones are derived from plants. Their Damage Remedy Shampoo is the only shampoo I have ever used in my life that actually leaves my hair soft and unstripped.

yuccalyptus
June 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I recently started using ShiKai moisturizing shampoo and I seriously love it. It has just a handful of ingredients, no SLS and it lathers great but is gentle. I have been able to find it at Longs and Vons.

Magicknthenight
June 16th, 2008, 04:07 PM
The Target next to my house just started carrying Giovanni and Avalon brand shampoos and conditioners. Both are natural chemical free brands that seem to work on my hair pretty well. I don't know if you have a Target anywhere near you though. Also if you have a mall near you, you could check for GNC. They carry several lines of all natural personal care items.
Oh i completely forgot about target.:o We do have a few but it has been a while since i went there looking for shampoo. I'll make a special trip! Maybe they will have that and it would be really convenient too!

try poo bars, like chagrin valley, or morrocco method international shampoos, through both tend to leave my hair tangly and greasy. Honestly, when it comes to shampoo I fee as if I'm better off with a commerical product. Yea i have been using alot of them and looking in the stores but they all tend to leave my hair dry..

why not using natural things like vinegar, honey, egg, rhassoul, etc? i would give it a shot but i dont know the measurements. I'll try and see what i can find about this and if i find something that sounds good i'll defently try it out!:)

When I was first starting out on the path to healthy long hair, I wanted to get rid of chemicals - understandable because of how much I'd damaged my hair bleaching and dyeing it for so long! Rhassoul (Moroccan clay) and oiling were how I first got into natural hair care. However, since my hair's fine and damaged anyway, I felt like Rhassoul made my hair drier and was possibly damaging it, while oiling made my hair lank, dark, greasy, and stringy.

'Natural' shampoos didn't seem to work better or worse than drugstore ones, but I HATE the perfumy-fake scents of drugstore products, and smelling like fruit or food is totally out for me. So I was 'natural' by default. Until I decided that 'cones (silicone-derived oils) helped my hair look better, and started using perfumy, drugstore Dove. ;)

Here in Germany these products are MUCH harder to find - no Burt's bees in the drugstore - so I have to pay more for them. But the drugstore products are 99% coney and full of junk.

What I am trying to say is that it is hard, but perhaps is not as hard as you are making it. Maybe diluted sulfates once in a while aren't terrible for your hair? I found out, through trial and error, that my best hair is actually shampooed hair! My fine hair and sensitive scalp prefer to get really clean a couple of times a month. I'm sure every once in a while after using all natural products depending on the results i may use my current shampoo. i agree its not terrible once in a while..but i have to let my hair get really greasy before i use it or else it will be dry. I guess i just want the option to wash when i want without the over-dryness.

WO might work for you - it does seem to work for some people, but I think many people also 'mix' it with other things - alternating WO wash with other kinds of washing, using WO but honey or vinegar or baking soda or...or...

Again for me WO doesn't get my hair or scalp clean, but I do keep trying it, because once in a rare while it leaves me very soft hair.

At the end of the day it's up to you, of course, but all of this is just to say that you CAN find something that works for you and it may just be something different than what you *thought* you 'should' use!
I remember once when i tried WO i did try a mixture of baking soda and water i just wish i could remember the results!

Ok so heres my plan. See if i can find any information on using natural ingredients such as honey, egg, etc and if i find something to try great. But if i dont i can go to target and look there for the shampoo. Then keep looking for some of the products listed and if i dont find those i can start WO and try the baking soda again. Thanks for all the replys its nice to have a plan!:cheese:

Anouk
June 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I didn't read every post word for word so I don't know if somebody else has already suggested this but.....

Kate Hudson has been working with that David Babaii guy and they're coming out with David Babaii for WildAid. I think it's a line of natural sulfate/chemical/paraben free hair products. I think they're going to be available in drug stores. You can see 'em on drugstore.com already.

Also, at motowngirl.com the girl who runs that site(who happens to call herself MotownGirl :p) reviews products and has recipes for shampoo, conditioner and leave-in. She teamed up with From Nature With Love(fromnaturewithlove.com) and they provide the herbs and materials for her recipes, and sell them as kits. I did order her No/Low Shampooing Kit but I haven't used it yet.

Anyway, hope that helps! :)

Magicknthenight
June 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM
ok i just tried my first almost completely natural shampoo and condish! i had been searching for recipies and found some that looked promising.

For shampoo i got the idea from this site:
http://www.ammas.com/ar/home.cfm?r=va&bid=0&topicid=28&tid=110892

Basicially it said you mix 1 egg, some water, 1/4 of your shampoo, and 1 spoonful of vegetable oil. I did this then put it in a bottle and i washed my hair with it. It was very dilouted but i could feel a slight lather. Then i did an ACV rinse.
Then i used the condictioner i had made from another site

That site is:
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/conditioner5.html

Basicially you mix a teaspoon of baby oil and 1 egg and 1 cup of water.
After using the shampoo i had made and doing the ACV rinse i put this condictioner on the length and a little on the scalp. Then i left it on for a few minutes then rinsed it off and did another ACV rinse.
The ACV rinse was not particularly pleasant as it was really cold from being in the fridge and kept going in my ears:p
I'm now waiting on my hair to dry to see the results. I dont remember the last time i didnt use condictioner so im hoping their wont be too many tangles and im hoping it washed away the greasies! Now...just gotta get nana to stay away from the two bottles of yellowish stuff in the refrigerator haha.
I'll come back to this thread later when my hair is dry and tell the results!
Hoping for the best *fingers crossed!*

Oh also i used cold water. I would wait until i got used to luke warm and keep turning the cold up a little bit at a time so the egg wouldnt cook in my hair

misstwist
June 16th, 2008, 07:45 PM
There are several Hy-Vee grocery stores in and around KCMO. They carry both Aubrey Organics and Burts Bees products in their Health Market sections.

I second the recommendation for Aveda products. I usually use CV poo bars with the Aveda Shampure line a couple times a month.

freznow
June 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
You can try herbs! I recently discovered soapwort, it cleans my hair quite well. I use fenugreek, honey and oil for conditioner.

wintersun99
June 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Velvettt
June 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I may have missed this answer in your original post because my ancient eyes don't handle solid blocks of unbroken text very well any more. Why can't you order off the internet?

Vitacost.com is where I order my Giovanni and Beauty Without Cruelty products and they're mostly half price. For example, stores carry Giovanni shampoo for $7.99 - 8.99, and Vitacost sells it for $4.64.

Their shipping cost is $5 flat rate no matter how much you order and I get my stuff within a week. I buy several bottles of poo and conditioner at once so the shipping cost is easily made up by the savings.