PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shampoo every day?

Kristamommyx3
April 21st, 2011, 08:49 AM
I have to shampoo every day, due to the extreme humidity and heat in FL. I also need to wash my scalp every day to remove allergens, which I have found to be a major migraine trigger for me. My hair is not dried out and I have no split ends, and only use conditioner about once a month. I have baby fine, blonde straight hair with a 2" pony tail. After reading quite a few posts, I am starting to think I am not the norm. Why do most of you like to skip days/weeks between shampoos, or not at all? I find this fascinating, and I am so jealous!

Kristamommyx3
April 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Oh, also in my family, we all have very very oily hair, and I have tried to no avail to skip days and let the oil production slow....not happening in this weather! Lol

rena
April 21st, 2011, 08:54 AM
Many of us find we need to skip days because we don't have indestructible hair ;). Wavies (like myself) and curlies especially do this because we are trying to reduce the dryness and/or damage that daily shampoo/washing would bring, but of course, there are the exceptions :).

racrane
April 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
I, too, have fine blond hair and need to shampoo most days of the week, otherwise my roots get super greasy. I've learned that the rest of my hair needs a ton of conditioning (and I would recommend more of it, at least on the ends). But I live in Wisconsin, not exactly "humid" and my hair still gets greasy. I tried skipping and it backfired - I looked like I dipped my head in a vat of oil. Not exactly the look I was going for. But, I do need conditioning. Every person's hair is different, and what can work for the majority might not work for the random person.

virgo75
April 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
I have dry curly hair, but it seem to get more dry and fall out if I don't shampoo often.

I've been trying to cut down from shampooing every day because it's not supposed to be good for my hair, but as I said - I shed more if I don't shampoo almost daily and my hair gets more dry. I think it's because I have hard water that builds up quickly. If I skip days or try to co wash I get build up almost immediately no matter what I'm using(cone free, all natural, etc). I've tried co washing but my scalp goes crazy and spits out my hair. :(

So shampooing almost every day works best for me.

louisemg82
April 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
I have a greasy scalp too but live in England so it's not that humid! I like to wash my hair every other day. I find though that if I put my hair up in the morning and don't touch it all day between washes, I can stretch to shampooing on the third day.

My dad is Cypriot and it's really hot and humid over there. I've been over in summer when it's been above 40 degrees C/104 degrees F and I can't make it until the third day there - ever. In fact, the only thing that lets me last until the second day in Cyprus is again putting my hair up every day and not touching it.

If you can try that and try to start shampooing every other day, you will probably find it benefits you in some way. For me personally, I shed a lot when I wash, so a reduction in washing = less hairs lost and we're all here to grow more hair!! A lot of members feel the same.

I also find washing every day to be drying on my hair and difficult to manage with long hair - how do you find drying it/waiting for it to air dry every day? The longer your hair gets, the more logistical problems washing every day will create.

spidermom
April 21st, 2011, 09:54 AM
My hair is definitely destructible. Even with twice a week CWC using diluted shampoo, my ends dry out and split all to pieces. I've read that the less often you get your hair wet, the better, as water raises the cuticle and allows the intrinsic moisture to evaporate out.

I don't know your length, but if you grow it out to hip or longer, dry ends may become an issue for you as well. Or maybe not; time will tell.

ladyfey
April 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
mine is knee length and I washed every day until recently. Like you I get very greasy, but I have found that during the winter at least I can go to every other day. We'll see what happens in the summer!

littlenvy
April 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM
I don't call it 'skip' days, LOL, since I never washed my hair everyday. So to me going 3 to 4 days without washing is more than normal. I shampoo only once every 8 to 10 days, other days I wash without shampoo. :)
I too have very fine hair and never get splits until my hair is pass APL. After that its another story. Usually have to treat 'scalp' and 'lenght' as two different creatures.

What I found out by joining this forum is that everyone has a different 'Norm' that is just right for them :)

cupcake0619
April 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM
my hair is damaged and dry on the ends but my roots look greasy almost right after i was it.. soo i wash my hair every day though i have tried not washing every day and going to every other but i can not get it to work for me. :)
i understand it might be giving me some damage to do so, but i have always washed my hair every day so i guess ill just keep it up lol

firefly42
April 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
I was washing every other day to every three days, but recently went back to every day, and now my hair and especially my scalp are MUCH happier. I have medium thickness straight as a stick hair.

maborosi
April 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM
Mine's a bit longer than BSL and I have to shampoo my scalp every day because it is so oily, especially in the summer. If I don't shampoo every day, then you can definitely tell...:(

I keep the conditioner below my ears, so even though I have somewhat dry ends, my hair's in really good shape. I let some of the diluted shampoo work its way down, but I don't shampoo the whole length intentionally.

~maborosi~

Firefox7275
April 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
I have a greasy scalp and sensitive skin; I live in the UK but sweat FAR MORE than the average person, plus my job is very active. I've always washed every second day and use dry shampoo between, because otherwise my permanent dye fades too fast.

However I am starting to think that shampoo is partly why my hair gets greasy quickly, as my face gets greasy within an hour of washing (same surfactant as shampoo) but if I blot it off that's it for the rest of the day. I am also coming to realise that a lot of my broken hairs happened when my hair was wet - from sweat or showering. :( So I am considering going sulphate-free or conditioner-only washing so I still get the sweat out (hopefully) without the grease or damage.

If your hair is short you probably won't see negative effects of a daily shampoo with no conditioner, but if you want your hair to be longer and still healthy it might be worth investing in, say, a leave-in conditioner? :shrug: Unfortunately by the time you realise there is damage, it may take time and effort to resolve the issue. I can't find splits or white dots and my hair is soft, so it took me a long time to accept the breaks were not just new hair growth.

louisemg82
April 21st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Forgot to add - you could try doing a scalp only wash every day but not washing your ends. This will help protect them as they get longer.

Kristamommyx3
April 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Oh, you know, I only wash the length or ends once in a while...I figure I'm not rolling in mud, so only my scalp needs a good washing that often. Lol. My mother taught me that growing up and maybe that's why I ever get split ends? I never thought about it until now... :D. BTW. My hair is just below BSL. All of your replies have been so interesting, thank you!

Rebecca.1905
April 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not in a humid area (Ohio, it's only gnarly in the summer), and I *have* to wash every other day at least. I tried to stretch washes, I tried co-wash... didn't work. My hair felt... gross. Like, my 14 yr old son (who never notices ANYthing) even asked what was wrong with my hair.

My hair is thisclose to waist, and doesn't split, so I'm not too worried. I have found that CWC and deep oiling once a week makes it feel much softer and definitely keeps the frizzies down and moisture up (I'm super wavy), so maybe consider some conditioning and oiling on the ends. Protect those fragile endies!! But otherwise... do what works for you and your hair! :-)

Anje
April 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM
I find that if I shampoo regularly, I need to wash a lot more. I need to shampoo about every two days due to oiliness, but if I stick to CO washing I can usually go 4-5 days before it gets oily. My scalp is that reactive to the drying effects of shampoo...

For healthy length, you might find your hair does better if you coat it with conditioner before shampooing the scalp. Of course, that might reduce how effectively you wash allergens out, and you need to weigh the benefits of each.

NouvelleNymphe2
April 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
I, too, have fine blond hair and need to shampoo most days of the week, otherwise my roots get super greasy. I've learned that the rest of my hair needs a ton of conditioning (and I would recommend more of it, at least on the ends). But I live in Wisconsin, not exactly "humid" and my hair still gets greasy. I tried skipping and it backfired - I looked like I dipped my head in a vat of oil. Not exactly the look I was going for. But, I do need conditioning. Every person's hair is different, and what can work for the majority might not work for the random person.

This is my experience as well. I have fine brown hair with natural highlights. Like my skin I think my hair is "combination" hair. It is both oily (scalp region) and dry (length/ends). I need a LOT of conditioning, and always can use some deep conditioning.

I will add, though, if you don't mind looking very oily i.e. you're not working, you stay at home a lot, you're on vacation, whatev. you might want to give it a try! Whenever I have time I go for it, and try not shampooing for as long as possible. I did it for several weeks at 1 wash a week and my hair thanks me currently for this experience. It made my hair very soft and strong.

So yeah, I do think it is good for your hair NOT to wash daily. Practically speaking, though, it's difficult to walk around so oily and look/feel presentable/professional. So when I am active and need to look my best my fine/oily hair needs a daily or every other day S&C. Like Racrane suggested, couple that with some serious conditioning and you minimize/mitigate your normal day-to-day inevitable damage.

Lianna
April 21st, 2011, 04:39 PM
My hair looks, behaves and grows better when I wash with shampoo everyday (it grew slower with just CO). I wash everyday mainly due to the hot weather all year around. I don't even own a proper coat. :p If I lived in colder places I probably wouldn't wash as much. I'm not rolling around in mud, but the sweat is a big factor, I like to feel fresh.

I'm trying to wash with shampoo everyother day and CO the others, we'll see if my growth rate won't change like before, I hope not. :)

MrsGuther
April 21st, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have to shampoo every day, due to the extreme humidity and heat in FL. I also need to wash my scalp every day to remove allergens, which I have found to be a major migraine trigger for me. My hair is not dried out and I have no split ends, and only use conditioner about once a month. I have baby fine, blonde straight hair with a 2" pony tail. After reading quite a few posts, I am starting to think I am not the norm. Why do most of you like to skip days/weeks between shampoos, or not at all? I find this fascinating, and I am so jealous!

I totally understand!! I grew up in south GA, and the humidity was killer on my hair. I used to have to wash my hair every single day or I felt miserable. Now I live in a place with virtually zero humidity, and I usually wash my hair about once or twice a week. I could probably comfortably go a week in between washing my hair on average if I really felt like stretching washes. I have found that stretching washes is good for me because of a few different reasons: my hair feels softer now, it's less hassle than washing every day, and I don't have time to wash my hair every day (I have a very active toddler, and I am 6 months pregnant...).

x0h_bother
April 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM
i don't skip days, pretty much. I began daily washing because I became a teen and had oily hair. For a while I did scalp washes and I didn't use conditioner because I thought it would make me oily. I remember if I was on 2nd or 3rd day hair, I would put my hair up. I was fine with that. Now..I really am not okay with 2nd day hair or an updo. So I choose to wash daily. I wish I could break that but right now it makes me too nervous to go without washing my hair :/

alwayssmiling
April 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM
I choose to CO wash daily. I like my hair when its been cleansed, even though its not oily or dirty. I feels soft when I've CO washed and I have convinced myself that I am actually moisturising my hair everday. I use sulfate free shampoo once a week and occasional sulphate shampoo when my hair is misbehaving - feeling a bit odd. I can give up my beloved hair straighteners but daily washing seems compulsive to me.

Speckla
April 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
I wash 'whenever'. Usually if my scalp is itchy or my ends feel really dry.

delsh
April 21st, 2011, 05:37 PM
I wash everyday! My hair is fine but I have a decent amount of it, so it shows the grease a LOT :laugh: I can go every two days with dry shampoo, but I often don't. I like fresh, clean hair, and any damage I'm doing is more than evened out by not using a hair dryer, I suspect. Anyway, I want hair that I like, not perfect hair! :D Go with whatever YOU like best.

rockstarmommy
April 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
qwertyuiosdfghjkl

Fizz
April 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
I wash my hair every day, mainly due to my job (hospital medical ward).
I hate going to bed without feeling completely 'clean'.

jkrochet
April 21st, 2011, 08:27 PM
I'm glad I found this thread... I feel the same way most of you do!! I have thin hair and a ton of it... I've tried to stretch my washes or the CO method (and considered many other things after reading a bunch of threads on here) but I think I need to wash almost every day. I usually wash every other day, but on the second day I can't even look at myself because I feel like a grease monkey :) Glad to hear there are other people out there with similar hair!!

LotusFIre
April 22nd, 2011, 12:39 AM
I wash everyday! My hair is fine but I have a decent amount of it, so it shows the grease a LOT :laugh: I can go every two days with dry shampoo, but I often don't. I like fresh, clean hair, and any damage I'm doing is more than evened out by not using a hair dryer, I suspect. Anyway, I want hair that I like, not perfect hair! :D Go with whatever YOU like best.
I agree totally. I usually wash every day.
I sometimes skip, but it really feels good to have clean hair, I couldnt go more than maybe 3 days or so. In theory, lol, Im on day two right now and Im dying for a wash LOL

Miss Catrina
April 22nd, 2011, 12:42 AM
I shampoo every day. My hair gets greasy fast, and it would just feel strange not to, regardless.

Lamb
April 22nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
You might find this thread helpful:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37847

jojo
April 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I used to wash my hair daily with CO but although my hair was nice for the first few weeks it went lank. I now CSC every 3 days.

Your hair is still relatively short ( i take it your 2" pony is the length???) and its not unusual for shorter hair to not have splits. My ends are nearly 6 years old so have been through a lot of washes, brushing etc so need to be treated kindly. I never had one split end myself until i reached, I think it would be more unusual if you got past this length and never found a split end!

Kristamommyx3
April 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I used to wash my hair daily with CO but although my hair was nice for the first few weeks it went lank. I now CSC every 3 days.

Your hair is still relatively short ( i take it your 2" pony is the length???) and its not unusual for shorter hair to not have splits. My ends are nearly 6 years old so have been through a lot of washes, brushing etc so need to be treated kindly. I never had one split end myself until i reached, I think it would be more unusual if you got past this length and never found a split end!

Lol I said it wrong, but I can clear it up. I thought my ponytail measurement was 2" in circumference, but when I actually measured, to my surprise, it's three. My hair length is about three inches above waist length, under BS +. I'mstill stumbling over some of the lingo. :p

dulce
April 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM
1 shampoo only my oily scalp lightly daily,and condition my ends daily.let air dry then a blowdryer diffuser for a minute or so when almost dry to fluff out the curls or 1 get a lot of tight ringlets -this seems to work well-thanks to long hair forum 1 realized 1 was using way too much shampoo and that my ends[shoulders down did not need shampoo..no wonder it got frizzy-

deepsuperficial
April 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I do but I am sulfate free... I really should try and go a few days inbetween

gogirlanime
April 27th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I shampoo everyday because I soak up all my hair and scalp in oil every night and it's really stinky stuff (M-T-G oil which has sulfur in it). But I wash it once throughout to make sure I don't over-dry it. My hair seems find, moisture is fine, and I have little/medium amount of shedding, and a lot of growth :)

Delila
April 27th, 2011, 03:47 PM
When I had bangs I washed my hair every day, mostly because I could never figure out how to wash just my bangs.

Not blowing my hair dry has made a big difference in how oily my hair gets, but it's still too oily for CO.

Herbal washing and the Morrocco Method shampoos worked well for me when I was first learning to stretch out washings, but I went back to regular S&C, mostly for the convenience and lower overall cost.