PDA

View Full Version : New Hair Care Routine

CavyQueen
April 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM
Hi! I have recently been oiling my hair on a daily basis and then putting it in a braid. I like this because I feel oiling is the best conditioning method for my hair. However, I have to was my hair more often because my scalp gets very greasy looking (even though I don't oil my scalp). My old routine was just to oil my hair twice a week before I would wash it. Will oiling my hair everyday, doing scalp washes and washing the length with conditioner only (4 times a week) dry out my hair? Or is my old routine of oiling and washing my entire hair twice a week better? I am concerned about drying out my hair. Thank you. :)

Firefox7275
April 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM
There is a thread or article on LHC about the drying capacity of different oils which might be worth searching for if you have not previously read it? Depending what you are using for the scalp wash, this might dry your scalp and encourage it to product more sebum. Also washing daily means your hair will be at it's most fragile each day, but of course the risk of damage to wet hair depends on how gently you handle your hair. Many think conditioner-only washes are better at removing oil than shampoo, have you already tried this?

Anje
April 21st, 2011, 01:30 PM
"Drying oils" actually has to do with the chemical cross-linking of unsaturated oils to themselves under an oxygen atmosphere. It's worth taking into account because cross-linked oils can form a film on hair, but it's not really going to correlate to whether your hair becomes dry when you apply oil to it.

Whether the additional washing will dry out your hair really depends a lot on your hair and scalp. My scalp gets more oily the more I wash it with shampoo, so the whole thing would be counterproductive in my case -- naturally, you might have a different experience. I would find what you're doing to be drying for my hair, though.

One thing you might want to try if you find you need to remove oil more often when washing this way is CO-washing. Conditioner seems to remove excess oil more effectively than shampoo without stripping, so it's less likely to dry your hair than frequent shampooing.