PDA

View Full Version : Does my hair really need that much protien????

Gilly
April 21st, 2011, 03:19 AM
I have just done a protien treatment on my hair, it has been feeling very wooly and matted whenever I wash it and feels very nasty when dry.
I use Redken CAT, I sprayed loads onto my freshly washed hair and left it for an hour, I rinsed it off and applied a conditioner and let it air dry, IT ACTUALLY FEELS LIKE HAIR!!!!:cheese: Could I have been THAT deficient in protien????
Has anyone else noticed that much of a difference after a protien treatment?

RitaCeleste
April 21st, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hey, I don't know but I think I'll do a light one and see! I use Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor occasionally. Because my hair is stronger I was thinking it had enough protein but last time I washed I noticed it didn't turn into its smooth silky self. Maybe its time again? I have to be careful with protein because too much left on too long dries out my hair.

WaitingSoLong
April 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
I have never had/done a protein treatment. I have used protein laden products and my hair dislikes them. :shrug:

Firefox7275
April 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
What else is in the product? Maybe it's a combination of ingredients that worked for you?

aenflex
April 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Sounds like your hair responded well. I wouldn't overdo it though, too much can have ill effects, specially the strong stuff like Redken and Aphogee.

Gilly
April 22nd, 2011, 12:08 AM
I think I will do it a few more times yet, my hair has improved no end with just the one treatment, I won't do such an extreme one next time and I will so a moisture treatment after it anyway, I think my hair loses protien very easily so I think it will be fine with some more treatments!

shikara
April 22nd, 2011, 12:30 AM
Yesterday I suspected my hair might need some protein but I didn't want a full treatment because I've just been trying to restore moisture to my hair (LHC members clued me in on the disadvantages of using humectants to moisturize when in a dry climate - THANKS by the way). I mixed equal amounts of a keratin shampoo with my ManeNTail moisturizing shampoo, added water to make 8 cups, gave my length a quick dunk in the jug, then carefully just poured the rest around my head/scalp. This small change resulted in a huge improvement in manageability and my hair feels so light!! Perhaps for some, this small amount of protein may be all that's needed.

jojo
April 22nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
My hair loves protein treatments but be careful not to do them too often or it can cause dryness and breakage.

I do an aphogee 2 step every 2-3 months and always follow with a moisturising conditioner. My hairs also fine and I do find it helps with preventing too much breakage.

Latte Lady
April 22nd, 2011, 01:17 AM
I house sat for a friend who had long, gypsy-like hair. The hair straight from Disney's Esmeralda.
I envied her hair soooo much. I saw that her shower was lined with protein and cholesterol products and so I thought I'd try her deep conditioner. I couldn't even comb my hair out after that! I had to re-wash my hair and use my conditioner. My hair was so dry and crunchy that I didn't wash it for a week even though my oily scalp drove me mad! That's when I learned about the different needs of hair types.
Funny though was that she was envious of my hair. I wanted her dancing, shiny curls and she wanted hair that she could brush and wouldn't frizz. Curls are beautiful alot more work to look nice.

louisemg82
April 22nd, 2011, 05:45 AM
If it's worked for your hair then great! I'd echo what others are saying though and don't over do it. I can't work out if my hair needs protein or not right now. I do henna every few months though (protein) and love the way my hair feels after that.

Gilly
April 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Today I applied a treatment of Joico restructurant and left it on for longer than intended, its supposed to be 5 mins but Hubby took his time in the shower and it ended up being on my head for 30 mins, it felt very silky and soft after rinsing and I applied Joico intense hydrating conditoner after just to be safe, I am amazed at the amount of protein my hair is taking in, I think my hair is a bodybuilder in disguise!!
There is not a hint of dryness or stiffnes, it just feels so soft and silky!:cheese:

Muse
April 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
It seems your hair is very happy with the treatment. You can also test if your hair is in need of protein with a hair strand test. Here is a link that explains it. (http://www.fromshorttolong.com/2010/11/hair-strand-test.html)

Mesmerise
April 25th, 2011, 08:02 AM
If it's worked for your hair then great! I'd echo what others are saying though and don't over do it. I can't work out if my hair needs protein or not right now. I do henna every few months though (protein) and love the way my hair feels after that.

Hmm does henna actually provide protein for the hair though, or is it the binding of the lawsone molecules to the keratin in the hair that actually makes the hair stronger? I didn't think henna would actually take the place of a protein treatment (and I've heard of people giving themselves protein treatments prior to using henna so the colour would take better).

Gilly
April 30th, 2011, 03:54 AM
My hair is still gulping down protein like crazy!
This morning I applied a protein treatment using wavol Keratin treatment (this is a salon treatment) I left it on for an hour, my hair felt amazing when I rinsed it out, but when I tried the wet test it is STILL stretchy, I can't believe that I was THAT deficient in protein:rolleyes:

Evie
May 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hi, I found this thread really interesting - I tried the CAT spray on my hair, only left it for 5 min, then followed by conditioner, and so far so good! Will be careful not to use it too much, but am so happy I read this :)

krissykins
May 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
My hair loves protein! I normally do a coconut milk soak, similar to Dianyla's method (http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=16585).

Evie
May 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I will remember that idea of coconut milk, that would be a great idea too, I love that smell! How often do you do one, krissykins?

Cleopatra18
May 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I just used the hask placenta spray on treatment yesterday and my hair is feeling great today. I was really needing it. My hair is not damaged but I think protein is necessary every 2-3 months especially that I cowash very often. Please be careful not to over do it, it's very misleading and you won't realise it untill it's too late. I suffered from it before and you wouldn't imagine the breakage I got, even though it stretched and everything.