PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Sulfate Shampoo Recommendations?

HintOfMint
April 20th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a gentle sulfate shampoo? Basically, I want to experiment with more cones but I don't want to clarify with a harsh clarifying shampoo more often than I have to, so I want to see if I can prevent buildup with a sulfate shampoo that just happens to be less stripping than a clarifying or regular one.

I can't go sulfate-free because of my scalp, so that's out. So far, the Aveeno Moisturizing shampoo is pretty amazing, very gentle withoug a residue-y feel.

Any more ideas?

CavyQueen
April 21st, 2011, 06:29 AM
Hi! I really like Philip B's African Shea Butter Gentle and Conditioning Shampoo. It is a little pricey but it will remove silicones gently and still moisturize your hair. I also like Davines' MOMO Shampoo. What I usually do is make sure the sulfate is sodium laureth sulfate and that there are other moisturizing properties in them such as oils and plant extracts. Another thing you can do is look for shampoos with sulfates derived from plants such as coconut. Aveda makes shampoos with natural sulfates. I hope this helps.

RitaPG
April 21st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure if you have these available where you live, but Garnier has a line of products called Ultra Mild, that I find not only very gentle, but extremely moisturizing :inlove:

aenflex
April 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
cocamidopropyl betaine is a lighter surfactant, much more mild than any SLS. Nexxus and many other lines offer shampoos with this as their chief cleanser, rather than SLS.

CurlyZ
April 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM
I'm using the Tresemme Naturals line. The shampoo has lower sulfates.
It makes my hair very soft, even though the condish is silicone free.
And the huge bottle goes a loooong way... :-)

Lianna
April 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Cocamidopropyl betaine won't remove all kinds of cones though. Do a little research on the cones you use, perhaps you won't need SLES. But if you do, maybe just adding some oil to your regular SLES shampoo might help.

DTsgirl
April 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Suave Humectant Shampoo is very hydrating, and smells divine! Also cleans without that squeeky clean feeling (which I dislike.

virgo75
April 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
cocamidopropyl betaine is a lighter surfactant, much more mild than any SLS. Nexxus and many other lines offer shampoos with this as their chief cleanser, rather than SLS.

2nd the Nexxus. I've found Nexxus Therappe shampoo to be very gentle. When I use it I feel like I could almost go without a conditioner, but I wouldn't dare with my hair.

HintOfMint
April 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations, y'all!

RitaPG, I see that you live in Portugal, which is probably why I haven't seen the "ultra mild" by Garnier around the states. That's too bad, I'm a Garnier fan.

Looks like I have something to look forward to for my next shampoo trip! I'm thinking the Nexxuss one, just because I've really liked their shampoos in the past.