PDA

View Full Version : Im allergic to Coconut oil.. what else can i use?

xxaimsxx
April 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hiya guys. I tried some coconut shampoo and conditioner the other week and my scalp came out in a red rash. I assumed i didnt have a nut allergy anymore since i was little but clearly i do!
Coconut oil is the same for me which is a shame.

What other oil can i use to deep condition my hair?
Also im going cone free now with conditioner and i have no idea what to buy. I live in the Uk and want a shampoo and conditioner which doesnt cause shedding and is natural :)

thankyou!!
xx

krissykins
April 20th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Olive oil is a good one to try. It's very accessible.

I'm unsure of cone free conditioners for you as I'm in the US, but hopefully someone will pop up with an answer for ya :flower:

Lynda
April 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Jojoba, Sunflower, Grapeseed. Sunflower needs to be kept in the fridge, it goes rancid easily.

That's weird about the shampoo & conditioner. Most products like that contain artificial scent, not the real thing.

HairColoredHair
April 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM
If you want a deep condition (especially overnight) olive oil is good...

If you want something lighter (daily use, etc) go for grapeseed (check the food oils, with the olive oil) or jojoba (Health food section/store).

shikara
April 20th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'm going to chime in here and say olive oil too!!!:D

Phexlyn
April 21st, 2011, 01:35 AM
Sweet almond oil works wonders on my hair and is not as rich as olive oil. Olive oil always makes my hair super stringy because I can't wash it out properly ;)
Jojoba is a good alternative, too.

Please check the ingredients of the shampoo and conditioner, there might be something else/harsh in them that caused the irritation. Was the coconut oil you used pure? If not, check those ingredients as well, just in case.

Pierre
April 21st, 2011, 04:53 AM
Coconut is not a nut. It's a fibrous drupe with a tiny embryo and a huge endosperm. Most culinary nuts belong to the order Fagales (walnut, hazelnut, beech, chestnut, also the oak which is a nut but not culinary); coconut is a palm. So if you have an allergy to pecans, that doesn't mean that you'll react to coconut.

My favorite is jojoba, though the last time I mixed some, I added coconut.

GRU
April 21st, 2011, 07:04 AM
My favorites are grapeseed and sweet almond oils. Very light and wonderful!

Firefox7275
April 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM
Do you just want an oil or an oil-based conditioner recommendation?

Intotouch
April 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM
I'm a big fan of rapeseed oil as a leave in conditioner. It helps to detangle and adds shine and it less heavy than olive oil. I've had great results from using olive oil as a deep conditioner. Just be sure to use conditioner to wash it out otherwise your hair will look greasy.

I must try the other oils recommended.

spidermom
April 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
My daughter is allergic to coconut, too, which makes it very hard to find shampoo and conditioner that doesn't irritate her as most of them contain a coconut oil derivative of some kind. She can use sweet almond oil and olive oil, though. I've heard also that apricot kernal oil is good for hair, also avocado oil.

Anje
April 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
I believe Babassu oil is very similar to coconut oil in terms of its fatty acid profile. It's also a tropical oil though, so you might want to get a very small quantity and patch-test it before slathering it all through your hair.

Otherwise, olive oil and avocado oil are supposed to also penetrate hair like coconut oil does. And jojoba and sweet almond oil are common additional favorites for adding slip and protection to hair.

FluffSpider
April 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
I've used castor oil(beware, it's very very thick, almost a gel-like consistency), olive oil, and a blend made mostly out of sweet almond oil. The best results I got from the sweet almond oil; it was light enough for daily use, smelled very nice, didn't fatten everything up.. though if your hair lacks moisture, I would recommend you start with leave-in oilve oil, to 'build up' the moisture': mine used to seep into my hair, and by day 2 it didn't look oily but shiny and healthy. Now that I'm taking better care for my hair, I'm using the almond one because it's lighter and I really don't need to oil so much.

xxaimsxx
April 24th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Jojoba, Sunflower, Grapeseed. Sunflower needs to be kept in the fridge, it goes rancid easily.

That's weird about the shampoo & conditioner. Most products like that contain artificial scent, not the real thing.

Yeah it was a weired one. My scalp just started coming out in a red rash in the front and my eyelids were red. It also said it contained walnut.
I dont know if it was an artificial scent or what.

xxaimsxx
April 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks girls :) I'll deffo have to buy myself some new oils! Espesh olive oil. Ive just bought some jojoba oil and love the smell and my hair seems to like it!

xxaimsxx
April 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Coconut is not a nut. It's a fibrous drupe with a tiny embryo and a huge endosperm. Most culinary nuts belong to the order Fagales (walnut, hazelnut, beech, chestnut, also the oak which is a nut but not culinary); coconut is a palm. So if you have an allergy to pecans, that doesn't mean that you'll react to coconut.

My favorite is jojoba, though the last time I mixed some, I added coconut.

You're right. It did contain walnut.. that might of been it? If so thank god i can use coconut.

McFearless
April 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Grapeseed oil soaks into my scalp and hair so well, as does olive oil.

Pierre
April 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM
You're right. It did contain walnut.. that might of been it? If so thank god i can use coconut.
That would quite likely do it. Walnuts and pecans are close cousins (same tribe within the family). If you know someone who has some coconut oil, try a teensy bit.

Glad you like jojoba!

principessa1984
April 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
olive oil, almond or jojoba

dulce
April 24th, 2011, 08:17 PM
1 like "A and G liquid hair shine serum"[sold at salons in canada-not sure if it's available elsewhere] 1 found regular oils made my hair too heavy and limp-maybe 1 used too much?

kwaniesiam
April 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM

I'm deathly allergic to ingesting walnuts, I get some major skin irritation from walnut oil. I can use coconut oil just fine. Do a patch test of anything else you try first.

dulce
April 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
1 like "A and G hair liquid shine "[sold at salons]1 apply it to my wet hair as it's airdrying-

Lynda
April 25th, 2011, 12:01 PM
If I use olive, I have to wash it out. It turns grossly stenchy on my hair!

You can buy a cooking-size bottle of Sunflower at the grocery for about $5.00 or less. It's a little more sticky (as is olive) than Jojoba, Coconut, or Grapeseed, and it needs to be kept refrigerated, but it's much cheaper if you want to do major oilings.

Firefox7275
April 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Just because you used to be allergic to nuts, does not mean you are not allergic to something else in that conditioner. Any of several ingredients could have set you off, so you'd be safest to patch test anything new that you use in future. Once you have allergies unfortunately it's common to develop others as time goes on. :(