PDA

View Full Version : Different growh rates?

rena
April 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Does hair (from the head) ever grow at different rates in different parts of the scalp? I've heard of some strange things about the nature of hair, so I wonder if there is any truth to this? Apologies if this has been asked before, and thanks in advance.

firefly42
April 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
the hair on the sides of my head grow faster than the hair in the back of my head, resulting in an upside down U shape in my hair, which im currently ignoring because I don't want to cut my hair at all this year...

TheBluffs
April 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
It does make sense. It's how you go froma blunt hemline to fairytails. :)

Phexlyn
April 21st, 2011, 01:46 AM
Yes, that's totally possible. The hair on the right side of my head always grows a little faster than the hair on the left side. Some hair grows slower, or has a shorter terminal length/different growth cycle, for example the hairs at the hairline or at the nape of your neck can do that - not on everyone, of course, but it happens ;)

FoxRain
April 21st, 2011, 02:26 AM
Mine does that. I grows crazily fast at the back of my head and very, very slowly at the front. Which causes me to have a mullet-like shape of my hair quite often.

louisemg82
April 21st, 2011, 02:37 AM
Definitely! You'll see a lot of members on here posting that their underside grows faster than their canopy - ie. that the hair at the back of their head near the neck grows faster than the hair at the front and top. I also fall into this category but have no idea why it happens. :confused:
Hair just does it's own thing and you have to work with what you've got. If it bothers you, you can target trim your faster growing areas to get an even hemline and just continue to grow at the rate of your slowest growing hair. Otherwise, ignore it, grow a V, U, or fairytale hemline and love it! :D

alwayssmiling
April 21st, 2011, 02:43 AM
I've never understood why the sides of my hair grow so slowly yet my fringe needs cutting every fortnight. I am growing some of my fringe out as its too wide and its really only taken a couple of months for it to start to blend in with the rest of my hair.

WaitingSoLong
April 21st, 2011, 06:12 AM
It does make sense. It's how you go froma blunt hemline to fairytails. :)

I thought that was from breakage and whatnot. Interesting!

Does hair (from the head) ever grow at different rates in different parts of the scalp? I've heard of some strange things about the nature of hair, so I wonder if there is any truth to this? Apologies if this has been asked before, and thanks in advance.

I jumped out of my chair when I read your original post because I was LITERALLY about to post the exact same question! Too weird! I was contemplating the demarcation lines in front vs. back of my head (sun-in) and actually measuring them. I know I get an overall growth rate of 1/2" per month but the front grows at about 65% of that rate. My roots in one place are 3+" and my roots in front (like where bangs would be) are only 2".

rena
April 21st, 2011, 06:54 AM
I thought that was from breakage and whatnot. Interesting!

I jumped out of my chair when I read your original post because I was LITERALLY about to post the exact same question! Too weird! I was contemplating the demarcation lines in front vs. back of my head (sun-in) and actually measuring them. I know I get an overall growth rate of 1/2" per month but the front grows at about 65% of that rate. My roots in one place are 3+" and my roots in front (like where bangs would be) are only 2".

Wow, that is wierd! Maybe we're on the same "wave-length" :) Pretty cool.

The hair on top of my head seems to be the fastest growing while the back appears to be the slowest.

RitaCeleste
April 21st, 2011, 08:38 AM
Oh yeah! I colored my hair so I know for a fact my sides are growing faster than the top. I am assuming this little trend continues on the back of my head where I can't see it happen too. So my top layer grows slower, gets tangled and breaks easier too. There are reasons why it never seems to catch up to the bottom layers.

Valdeon
April 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
It's true. My top layer grows much slower and it breaks. Grr...

spidermom
April 21st, 2011, 09:24 AM
I read in my daughter's friend's cosmetology book that each hair follicle has it's own growth and shed rate, so literally every follicle on your head can have a different growth pattern.

I used to think that the right side of my hair grows faster than the left, but after doing a couple of no trim for a year experiments, I've discovered that it evens up over time. My hem was fairly even after 14 months of no-trimming. Too bad a lot of hairs were split to pieces by then.

anniebelle
April 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Yes, I'm sure that there are different growth rates. Also depends on a lot of other things. :)

WaitingSoLong
April 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Oh yeah! I colored my hair so I know for a fact my sides are growing faster than the top. I am assuming this little trend continues on the back of my head where I can't see it happen too. So my top layer grows slower, gets tangled and breaks easier too. There are reasons why it never seems to catch up to the bottom layers.

This could explain why my "bangs" have never gotten past about BSL. I had a hairstylist ask me once how long I had been growing out my bangs. I wasn't growing them out, they were never there (ok YEARS ago I had bangs lol). I do know when I was cut to shoulder length my "bangs" and the rest of my hair were all the same length. Seems like they were stillpretty even at a bout BSL as well. Hmm. I only trim the ends, so the bangs (gee that is a dumb word) have never been trimmed, however I do S&D them sometimes because they are split heavy now.

CurlAhead
April 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
My hair grows faster and thicker on left side compared to the right side of my head, but it could also be the fact that I sleep on the right side of my head and it gets damaged faster.