PDA

View Full Version : All my life I thought I had straight hair...

didrash
April 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Until the other day. I went to get a dye job at a hair salon (yeah, I know, not good for hair... but good for my stress levels somehow). I had a misunderstanding with the hairdresser (not her fault, I think I gave the wrong answer to her question) and as a result, she blow-dried my hair straight. And when I saw the difference between this and my usual hair, I realized my hair isn't actually straight in it's natural form. I also realized I am almost APL now :).
So, my hair is not really straight, but it isn't exactly wavy either... its a mutant!

delsh
April 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM
So, my hair is not really straight, but it isn't exactly wavy either... its a mutant!

I love this! :laugh: My hair must be a mutant too - the last time I had it long (by my standards, not LHC's! Only between APL and BSL) I blew it out every day, and it was quite straight, but with body. Now that I haven't touched a blowdryer, it's quite wavy. Embrace the mutant hair! :cheese:

And congrats on being close to APL! I'm inching closer as well!

CurlAhead
April 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
It is cool how one can be so surprised by its on hair! I thought I had almost black hair, but when I dyed it I realized that..ooops, guess I didn't :D

racrane
April 20th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I thought I had straight hair that was super frizzy when I brushed on, but one time I didn't brush it when it dried and I realized I had wavy hair. The amount of waves depend on my hair's "mood", but I did realize to stop using brushes and let my hair be in its natural form. :) Enjoy your mutant hair!

jojo
April 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM
welcome to the world of wavies; its surprising how little adjustments make so much different and congratulations on graduating to apl, bsl next stop!

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I was like this forever. When I was a kid I had straight hair, almost pin like with faint curling around my temples. Then I hit puberty and it got some body wave and the hair at my temples went wild! But it seems to get getting more curl to it now because when i dry it naturally it has more wave in it and if I mousse and scrunch it's almost wavy/curly. It seems my hair has changed over time but it's happened to lots of people. My cousin went from super-tight curls most of her life to much looser curls as she got older.

Though now that I think about it, it may have something to do with hair damage...my hair is healthier now because I have dyed it since September 2009 (and I'd been dying it since I was 12!) and my cousin's curls got looser after she started bleaching and straightening it more...hmmm...

Jenn of Pence
April 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Me, too! :) I never really considered the huge spectrum of hair texture until I got here. I considered my hair pretty straight, but I knew I had some wave. But when I did a hair typing I was a little bit surprised how wavy it actually was. But in reality, my hair care routine makes it a lot straighter, so that's pretty much how I operate day-to-day.

PiroskaCicu
April 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
It's so funny. I too thought I had straight hair until I did an "official" hair typing. I realized my hair actually has waves! In my sig pic, it's straight because like you my hair is a mutant... sometimes its straight, other times its quite wavy. In this pic i used heavy conditioner which makes it much straighter. :P

222toogoodforu
April 20th, 2011, 10:30 PM
When my hair was straight, but not pin straight, and yet not wavy, I'd call it "bendy" hahaha. I have naturally "bendy" hair. :D

Phexlyn
April 21st, 2011, 01:28 AM
Haha, that's a cute story :)
My hair is mutant, too, it just can't decide whether to be straight or to go properly wavy...

AndreaPetrea
April 21st, 2011, 01:35 AM
I have had a similar experience :D I was very surprised.

Nymph
April 21st, 2011, 01:54 AM
Another mutant hair! Depending on what I use I'll have waves or straight hair. Generally the heavier the conditioner the straighter.

alwayssmiling
April 21st, 2011, 02:37 AM
Pre lhc I thought I had thick, frizzy hair which was neither straight nor wavy. Turns out, now its getting longer and healthier, its actually fairly curly. I have an "S" curl I never new I had. You might be surprised as your hair grows how wavy it becomes..especially if your hair is considerably longer when straightened?

didrash
April 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM
Turns out there's so many of us with mutant hair :)! Perhaps we should add it to the hair type table - 1a, 1b, 1c, mutant, 2a...

Firefox7275
April 21st, 2011, 07:42 AM
I always knew my hair was wavy but it turns out to have a definite curl in some places. With wavy hair just turbanning with a towel or combing pulls some of the wave out so we never see our true hair!