PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out this style...?

Kristin
April 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM
My cousin would like me to do her hair like this for prom.

http://worldhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/0dd26528420e97df782194175658e8fe.jpg

To me, it looks like a draped Dutch braid, but I could be wrong...Maybe it's a perimeter braid? I wonder what is happening on the other side...

She's willing to let me experiment a few times, but I don't really know what to try. Her hair is a little past APL and heavily layered. Thanks!

Joribear
April 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
It looks to me like a side Dutch braid after the hair has been heavily curled. Would be nice to see what the other side looks like!

Lynda
April 20th, 2011, 09:43 PM
See the area in the center? It isn't anchored to anything except styling product, which is great for a pic or a hair show, but it won't last all of prom night. You'll have to secure that area in some way.

It's very cool looking, I'd love to see the other side.

Dizzy_zzz
April 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Dutch braid, but instead of pulling the strands tight against the scalp when you bring them towards the braid, leave them looser. Don't worry about being neat as you do it--for this style, the messier, the better. If you want to make it easier, lifting the dutch braid as you braid can help.

AnnaJamila
April 20th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Maybe a loose lace braid on heavily curled hair? It's lovely, but if she has very layered hair it'll be next to imposible for her to acheive that look without staying still; the pieces will pop out to the point where you can't even recognize the style anymore.

Loose braiding =/= layers :(

VitaR86
April 21st, 2011, 01:02 AM
Maybe start out with this tutorial (http://youtu.be/duevuHj1R0Y). Then pull the hair into a side ponytail and curl it. Then maybe add some cute flowers or pins to the hair.

Phexlyn
April 21st, 2011, 01:47 AM
It looks like a Dutch lace braid on curled hair, but I'd have to see the other side to be really sure how it's fastened there. Maybe a side ponytail?

Sagi1982
April 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM
Maybe some kind of perimeter braid? Dreamweaverbraiding.com has a tuto for this.

Madora
April 21st, 2011, 07:50 AM
If her hair is heavily layered, then she's not going to be able to pull off this style successfully. Too many little hairs will be sticking out, ruining the effect of this perimeter braid style.

Also, unless she's extremely dexterous, this appears to me to be a style that would be done by someone else.

Definitely a perimeter braid...with lots of slack involved. It looks to me like the braid has been positioned in a certain fashion, then braided...or perimeter braided then pinned in a certain way to achieve that graceful loose effect.

In either case, it is truly eye catching!