PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Hair?

TheBluffs
April 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Can hair soards, and daggers be used in self-defense? I was toying with this idea today, as I remebered that in some movie I saw (Which was midevil), the damsel in distress has a knife in her hair, which she used to slaghter her new husband (It was forced)
I'm getting so many ideas.. :D

Shoga
April 20th, 2011, 09:11 PM
That’s pretty cool! As long as the blade is covered where it won’t cut my hair, lol. Depending where you live though, I can see lots of people making a big stink about it if noticed in public.

selderon
April 20th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Can hair soards, and daggers be used in self-defense?

Yes. Any object can be used as a weapon. Once you understand the concept behind a traditional weapon, it is easy to improvise with a handy object. The most effective defense is a prepared mind and trained body.

bigred199
April 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
In Thoroughly Modern Millie the villian (Mrs. Meers) keeps her hair up with chopsticks which must be hollow, as I seem to remember she uses them to blow poison darts that knock out her victims. I guess that's another option if you're looking for ways to defend yourself. :eyebrows:

HairStickler
April 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
In the book "Unintended Consequences," the female character used her highly sharpened hairstick to poke her captor in the eye and escape from him.

Macaroni
April 21st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Now that you mention it, I have a pair of metal chopsticks that could do some damage.

Phexlyn
April 21st, 2011, 01:26 AM
Yes. Any object can be used as a weapon. Once you understand the concept behind a traditional weapon, it is easy to improvise with a handy object. The most effective defense is a prepared mind and trained body.
True, although you'd really have to know how to use it properly *and* you must be absolutely willing to use it - like with any other weapon, improvised or not.
I doubt I'd use my hairstick to defend myself because it would probably not be as fast as other things plus if the hair was held by the stick alone, you'll then have to deal with your loose hair which makes you even more vulnerable. I know those hair daggers where the sheath remains in the hair sound really cool, but I honestly think that's the movies' way of self-defense - it might not work too well in real life from what I've heard.

dajanchen
April 21st, 2011, 01:49 AM
I think any sturdy hairstick can be used as weapon. But you have do be prepared and not afraid to use them. I doubt that a criminal can still grab my loose hair if he has the stick in the eye or throat.
The biggest problem is not to freeze in panic and you have to know about the weak points of a human body and how to manipulate them for self-defense. Normally one wants to act in flight behavior and to get out of reach of the enemy. Sadly the opposite is more effective, for self-defense the person has to be in immediate reach. They are few ways to put somebody out of action if you are close enough - also without hairsticks! :twocents:

Venefica
April 21st, 2011, 03:36 AM
You can use anything as a weapon, keys, a heavy wallet full of change, a metal hair stick might make a good stabbing weapon, however it better be a relatively good quality one, made from steel or some other fairly sturdy metal, most cheap hair sticks will break before a person's body do, unless you are going for the eyes.

It should be possible to make a hair knife with some sort of locking mechanism allowing you to pull out a knife while the sheath remains in the hair, without the risk of it falling out when not needed. However be aware that in many places it is forbidden to wear concealed blades.

The problem with pulling out a weapon for self defense, any weapon including pepper spray is that if you do not know how to use them, and are not willing to use them then they can be taken away from you and used against you. Now there is actually quite a step from telling yourself oh yes I would be willing, to actually harming another human being, many of us is hardwired against that. I am not saying one should not defend oneself, I am saying one have to learn how to use a weapon before it is advisable to use one.

If you are attacked it is actually more advisable to scream like the devil is after you, weave your arms, kick anything. Most attackers is not targeting you personally, and once he sees that you are not an easy mark then most will move on.

Also pick your battles, if you are robbed then are the content of your purse worth the risk of getting hurt? If you pull out a weapon than the risk of you getting seriously hurt increases, it might not be worth it for material stuff, however if someone is trying to rape you or do other bodily harm to you then it is worth more risk to defend yourself.

The most effective hair weapon I think would be a thick, sturdy hair sticks like those hairtanas on etsy or something just as sturdy. If you use that and do for the temple of your attacker then you can do allot of damage. Warning though this have a good chance to kill or seriously wound the attacker so you have to be sure you are willing to commit to that if you are going to do something like that for self defense.

Kunoichi
April 21st, 2011, 10:39 AM
One word: Ninja :demon:

http://www.columbusninjutsuclub.com/articles/kunoichi.html

"One of the weapons commonly used by Kunoichi were needles. Often used to hold the hair up, they could quickly and easily be pulled out and used as a weapon. Such needles were usually coated with strong poisons." :cheese:

Venefica
April 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
Interesting article. Thank you for posting it.

RitaCeleste
April 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM
I would never hide weapons in my hair unless I was in jail and had to. I mean, really, I can jab your eyes out with my car keys if you don't even have a gun. I'll take chance up against a knife. And if you do have a gun, you WIN! But you can go ahead and shoot me cause I'm NOT going anywhere with you and I am NOT going to dig my own grave. Clean up is your problem! lol

selderon
April 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM
True, although you'd really have to know how to use it properly *and* you must be absolutely willing to use it - like with any other weapon, improvised or not.
I doubt I'd use my hairstick to defend myself because it would probably not be as fast as other things plus if the hair was held by the stick alone, you'll then have to deal with your loose hair which makes you even more vulnerable. I know those hair daggers where the sheath remains in the hair sound really cool, but I honestly think that's the movies' way of self-defense - it might not work too well in real life from what I've heard.

Yes, hence the prepared mind. The mind itself is the key.

Improvised weapons are better than no weapons. Purpose-built weapons are better than improvised weapons. Given the choice, in a deadly situation, between drawing my gun or drawing my hairstick, guess which one I'm gonna pick? ;)

Firefox7275
April 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Unless you are lightening fast on the draw, I don't think a hairstick would make a good weapon. In order to pull it out, your hand(s) would be in full visibility of your attacker, then you are going to aim for a small, moving target (eye)? And you have no real idea of where your hair will end up, as you will probably be moving in order to evade being restrained. :shrug:

Ishje
April 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM
One word: Ninja :demon:

http://www.columbusninjutsuclub.com/articles/kunoichi.html

"One of the weapons commonly used by Kunoichi were needles. Often used to hold the hair up, they could quickly and easily be pulled out and used as a weapon. Such needles were usually coated with strong poisons." :cheese:

in the book "the last concubine" the main character uses the same type of needles to defend herself against enemy's.
I thought of that when I read your comment ^^

spidermom
April 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM
If cornered, I'll use whatever I have because I'm not going anywhere with anybody if I can possibly prevent it.

Venefica
April 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Unless you are lightening fast on the draw, I don't think a hairstick would make a good weapon. In order to pull it out, your hand(s) would be in full visibility of your attacker, then you are going to aim for a small, moving target (eye)? And you have no real idea of where your hair will end up, as you will probably be moving in order to evade being restrained.

Well if a situation escalates that quickly then you will not have the time to draw a knife, gun, mace or whatever else you have either so as for speed a hair stick is not a disadvantage, the problem is that it is preferably not sharp, as that would damage your hair.

I would never hide weapons in my hair unless I was in jail and had to. I mean, really, I can jab your eyes out with my car keys if you don't even have a gun. I'll take chance up against a knife. And if you do have a gun, you WIN! But you can go ahead and shoot me cause I'm NOT going anywhere with you and I am NOT going to dig my own grave. Clean up is your problem! lol

A knife can do a hell of allot of damage. Many people take lightly on knives, but in the right hands a knife is an extremely dangerous weapon, short rage a knife can do as much damage as a gun. I must say I like your post though, if an attacker want to kill you they will have to do the digging and cleaning themselves. :D

Firefox7275
April 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Well if a situation escalates that quickly then you will not have the time to draw a knife, gun, mace or whatever else you have either so as for speed a hair stick is not a disadvantage, the problem is that it is preferably not sharp, as that would damage your hair.

My post probably was not clear. :o I don't mean to suggest that another weapon is faster than a hairstick but you may be able to grab it surreptitiously, whereas a hairstick you can't because of its position.

Venefica
April 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
You have a point about that, it is not so easy to discreetly draw a weapon located on your head.

smileycat
April 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
My boyfriend likes to show me how to use my hair toys as weapons in self defense. I would say at least weekly he practices various moves with and without toys.

My Grah-Toe collection in particular is nice and pointy!

Bonny
April 23rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
What? and ruin my lovely Grah-toe fork with blood? Nah!

:p

Tefnut
April 23rd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Never heard of such things but after researching i feel this is something i sooooo neeeeeeed

Venefica
April 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
What? and ruin my lovely Grah-toe fork with blood? Nah!

Ah, it would only give them a more...eh gritty flair. :cheese:

chenille
April 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
You have a point about that, it is not so easy to discreetly draw a weapon located on your head.

Hmm, actually, it might actually work better in a way. If someone attacks you, and you reach into your pocket/purse/waistband, they will probably be ready for you to pull out a weapon. But if you scrunch up with your hands protectively by your face (which is a natural motion) they won't be expecting you to suddenly get something pointy from your hair and start jabbing them with it. :eyebrows:

Alvrodul
April 24th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hmm, actually, it might actually work better in a way. If someone attacks you, and you reach into your pocket/purse/waistband, they will probably be ready for you to pull out a weapon. But if you scrunch up with your hands protectively by your face (which is a natural motion) they won't be expecting you to suddenly get something pointy from your hair and start jabbing them with it. :eyebrows:
My various pieces of hair weaponry are actually nicely sharp and pointy. At one time, when discussing making a spear for my hair, I actually made a joke about that, how I might turn my head on the metro and accidentally poke the guy in the neighboring seat.s eye out.:p

*Aoife*
April 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM
In the Artemis Fowl series (yes it is a children's series!) one of the main character's sister has long hair which she keeps in a braid. She has a ring tied into the bottom which she uses to knock out someone at least once, but it could be twice.