PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of one last big cut....

Evie
April 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
So I was thinking of getting some layers put into my cut, and then I got to considering the fact my hair is coloured (part henndigo, roots are semi perm dye), and the condition....it is not great.... If I cut it kind of jaw length, I should be able to get my natural colour, plus healthy virgin hair, by next year. I can then grow it one last time all natural - right now it takes quite a lot of cones to make it look ok, but it can 'look' like there is minimal damage. I know better however.....

Has anyone else done this and got any encouraging stories to share? I would keep all my hairtoys, and I know what this process will be like - that is why I'd not go shorter than jawlength.....

All suggestions welcome.... :flower:

spidermom
April 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM
All I know is there is very little in this world that would motivate me to cut to jaw length. If you feel you could enjoy it, then more power to you.

vaughner
April 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I cut my hair to jaw length last year and it took almost a year to grow it to APL. I hated the process, but only because I don't have naturally straight hair so the cut was not working for me. It was too short to put in a pony tail, and it just looked bad if I didn't straighten it lol. The outcome is worth it though, I guess. My hair is a lot healthier, but if the damage that I had before I made the decision to chop it off hadn't been so severe, then I would've never gotten it cut that short. Still, it all depends on whether you can make it work for yourself, so think long and hard about it.

Anje
April 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I think the real question here is: do you want jawlength hair?

If yes, cut to jawlength.

If no, maintain a longer style until the dye and damage are cut out.

When in doubt, cut less. Cut more if no longer in doubt.

TheBluffs
April 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM
If it were myself, I'd hold on the layers. I've heard growing them out is a pian, and there is limited updo's youi can do.

racrane
April 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Personally, I'm growing out layers and bangs because I found them so annoying. I'll get them cut when I won't mind the length so much. (Last summer I had a chin length bob and never will do that again. Moment of madness) Anywho, I suppose just think of what you want and what's best for your hair and make your decision off that.

didrash
April 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Personally I found chin length the hardest stage of growing out to handle. Its too short to keep it out of your way and so long it gets in your eyes and mouth... I have lots of layers now but I would rather have layers than go back to that hell.

ellen732
April 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM
The only thing with cutting it jaw length is there isn't much variety in it. It just looks the same everyday since you can't put it up at all.

jojo
April 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Its how you feel and if you are 100% sure then go for it; personally id never, ever, ever go back to that length. Too much like hard work!

tinywife
April 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I made the decision to chop to get rid of layers, and I'm now seriously regretting it. Layered hair looks just fine long, but short hair...well, it's always going to look short.

delsh
April 20th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I think you should do whatever makes you happy :) I grew out from a pixie, and honestly the growing from jaw length down was such a breeze (until the upper back abyss!). It's those pesky pixie layers that are the worst! :laugh: If you'd rather grow out virgin hair, go for it!

jaine
April 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Its how you feel and if you are 100% sure then go for it; personally id never, ever, ever go back to that length. Too much like hard work!

I see that myth a lot ... short hair = hard work ... but it was really super easy for me.

1. Comb some hard-hold gel through damp hair
2. Leave it to dry hard (it usually dried in the car on the way to work with the AC or heater blowing air on it)
3. Comb out the crunch after it's dry

That gave me smooth, soft, shiny hair that looks heat-styled even though it wasn't.

Here's what the result looked like (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4650&pictureid=62131)
Here's what my hair looked like without styling (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4650&pictureid=60335)

I use pretty much the same routine now ... the main difference is that it takes much longer to dry since my hair is longer.

Evie
April 20th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it has given me a lot to think about. Jaine I'd never thought of drying my hair that way, it does indeed look air dried! Wow!

I am not planning on rushing into anything, it will all take a lot of thought, it would be great to see my own colour after all these years too....

:flower:

HintOfMint
April 20th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'm an all or nothing kind of gal, and I've done a similarly drastic cut to get rid of damage. I didn't regret it one bit, but definitely mull it over before you sit down at the salon.

Athena's Owl
April 20th, 2011, 11:27 PM
If you're feeling like no amount of babying your ends is going to help, it might be worthwhile to cut. It's not like you're feeling impatient and needing a change or anything like that...

growingpains
April 20th, 2011, 11:39 PM
As far as short cuts goes, it'll be sooo easy to grow out cause it'll already have a "long" hemline even though it's not actually long (assuming you don't get lots of layers). If it will make you happy,

CurlyCreature
April 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
I'm going through that process right now :) It was a hard decision to make, especially because I have a goal of getting long hair, but I'm so much more in love with the state of my natural "virgin" hair now, it's just made me excited to take care of it and grow it out even more :)

Evie
April 29th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I must thank you all again. You've all made so many good points. I have tried one more method of trying to 'hide' the damage, using cones on the ends that are worst (sadly it is the mid-length bits near the face) and it has made a huge difference. I think I can stick at it, and now feel like I can wear it down without it looking like a wire brush in places, which has made me like it more.....

I think I shall persevere, and then maybe when these bits have got a little longer, go and get a slight cut (I have a trustworthy hairdresser) and try and get as much damage out as I can.

I have been getting a bit restive about growing out the colour and going back to my natural blonde, but again I think I am managing to keep patient about this. I am stopping henndigo, and transitioning out (as it fades) by doing my roots with the most gentle semi permanent I can find. Eventually I can just cut the henndigo off, and then allow the semi to fade (it does on my hair). my hair is a natural dark blonde, so this should not be too difficult.

Thanks for encouraging my patience......:)