PDA

View Full Version : Just a question about scalp care

BeccaAngel
April 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I kind of have a dry scalp problem, not my hair, just my scalp and its mostly on the back of my head towards the bottom. It sometimes gets itchy too and I wanted to know of any good home remedies for a dry scalp without hurting your hair. Any suggestions?:)

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to ask this.

Sundial
April 20th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Have you seen a doctor or dermatologist yet? I also have a dry patch on the back where my hairline meets the nape of my neck and it turned out to be eczema so I treat it as such.

If, however, it is just itchies or a dry scalp issue then an ACV helps with itching and some people use oils or shea butter to moisturize dry scalps

BeccaAngel
April 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I been using aloe vera about every other day, and it soothes the irritation but i cant seem to tell if its making it any better. it is kind of pinkish in those areas so it could be eczema but i cant afford to see anyone or get it treated.:)

rocket_surgeon
April 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Some people who have been using castor oil or mixed castor oil have noted that it has helped them with their dry scalps. Castor oil is rumored to make hair grow faster, too. If it's eczema, about 1/4 of eczema treatment is keeping the area moisturized, so it might help with that, too.

However, if it persists or gets worse, it would be best if you go to the doctor.

Firefox7275
April 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Does it worsen if you get hot/ sweaty? Do anti-histamines have any effect? I have both contact dermatitis and atopic eczema, sometimes get itchy and slightly scabby patches in the back of my hair. Mine are definitely related to cosmetic products, my elbow patch also reacts angrily to shampoo and facewash. Aloe vera is great for sunburn and suchlike but ineffective on eczema or contact dermatitis; where possible it is better to remove the culprit from your routine than add new ones that you might also react to. Broken or sore skin is more likely to react to a chemical than healthy skin, and it's quite common to become sensitised to a product you have previously used without a problem. If switching to gentle haircare products doesn't solve the problem you might have a chat with a friendly pharmacist?

ETA: you might also consider the possibility of head lice as they sometimes only cause irritation in the nape area. They are fairly easy to catch from children or on holiday and love clean hair!

Anje
April 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Oiling your scalp with your oil of choice (castor, olive, ...?) would probably help. (ETA: This probably wouldn't hurt eczema either, unless you specifically react to the oil. But it won't help for eczema as much as a steroid cream prescribed by a doctor would.)

I think CO (condtioner only) washing works for some people too. I know my scalp feels less dry and tight when I CO wash rather than using shampoo. Lots of conditioners are similar to lotion, so applying them to the scalp gives a nice bit of moisture.

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 06:17 AM
Try Jojoba Oil. I have a dry scalp too, and it has helped me more than anything else. I use it in hair masks at least once a month (every other week is what I aim for). Leave it in as long as possible. I have a blog post about Jojoba Oil on my LHC page if you want to know more about it and why it works.

rock007junkie
September 21st, 2012, 07:58 AM
I have the same problem and these are the things I've found to help me:

-Scalp scrub: just mix brown sugar and conditioner and massage into our scalp

-Oilings: When I see that scalp is really dry I apply coconut oil or vatika oil