PDA

View Full Version : Hair up or down?

Pegasus Marsters
June 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
So I'm curious... do people prefer thier hair up or down?

For me it's almost always up, or it tangles and my neck gets all sweaty and gross.

What about you guys? :)

Riot Crrl
June 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I like both.

Right now however I have the worst of both worlds. I have been attempting to comb it straight while it dries. WHY YOU ASK??? So that I can be able to put it up and photograph my new Baerreis sticks. Which are new, so I am not supposed to get them too wet while they are still curing.

So I have a slicked back combed fuzzy thing right now. All for the LHC cause, you guys.

SweetPea88
June 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
My hair is usually in a braid of some sort, sometimes a bun.

I really like the look of it down but the only time that really happens is special occasions or on a wash day.

I guess I'd say I like both, depending on the situation, but I mostly wear it up! :)

may1em
June 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Looks better down but tangles something fierce, so it's down on wash day, maybe down the next (or half down), then up the rest. Usually it's up about 70 percent of the time. Now I'm halfheartedly doing another monthup challenge (started the 2nd and have already cheated twice).

chrissy-b
June 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm wearing my hair up every day until the end of the year (I've taken the challenge and I'm sticking to it!). Although I prefer an even balance of up and down styles, since I'm not trimming until Jan 09, wearing it up it working out nicely for me. It keeps me from wanting to cut.

Loreyanne_H
June 16th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I think 50-50, in this period I'm staying at home a lot and I can wear it down. When I've got semester classes however I wear it 90% up!

Magicknthenight
June 16th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I think when i go along time with it down it feels weird with it up. Then if i go a while with it up it feels weird down. When im just sitting at home its usially in a braid. I'm TRYING to wear it up more and learn new hair styles. To prevent tangles and damage. Its quite the windy state here. I enjoy wearing my hair up because when i go out in the wind i think "oh whew glad i put my hair up"!. But if i knew some really cool updos i'm sure i would enjoy doing them for the way they look. My buns are still looking iffy. I guess in all reality...i like my hair down most of the time..if it was a magickal world where their were no knots or such thing as "damage" i would probably wear it down most of the time....but it isnt haha. But once i learn all of those nice updos im sure i will enjoy wearing it up more. :D
For reasons other then to prevent damage such as just enjoying all the styles!

morgwn
June 16th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I've gotten so used to wearing my hair up over the past 7 months that that's certainly what I prefer now. Wearing my hair down is now reserved for special occasions and I think it will become more and more like that the longer my hair gets.

Periwinkle
June 16th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Always up. I can't stand it down.

Katrina
June 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM
50-50, I guess. At home I keep it down or put it in a low ponytail to keep it out of my way. When I go out I usually put it up (or in a low ponytail :P), mostly because of the weather. It's often too windy or too humid... or too hot.

Now as I've found hairsticks and other nice updos (thanks to this forum :)), it'll be pitty to live without them in the wintertime. I-m aftaid they are not going to work when I wear a hood of a quilted jacket on my head...

Just_Isabel
June 16th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I prefer the way my hair looks when it's down (or in a half up), but feeling my hair around my neck annoys me a lot sometimes, so my hair always ends up going up. Still, I voted "mostly down" because I think it looks better that way.

Katze
June 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I vastly prefer the look of hair down. Down, it's pretty, and feels long. Up, it's just messy, the waves are hidden, the frizz and baby hairs stick out all over the place and I look like a frazzled old woman.

If I could never wear my hair down, I would probably cut it really short.

Finoriel
June 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I prefer it up :D the huge variety of braids and buns is just too fantastic to forgo them.

Not that it looks bad down :wink: but itīs unpractical to sit on it and looks (more or less) the same every time when itīs down... compared to updos.

bunnii
June 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I voted for down I rearely wear it up, alot of the time up just doesn't suit me.

Duchess of Erat
June 16th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I wear my hair down on wash days because it won't dry if it's up. On other days it's up (especially in summer, too hot to wear it down).

hurricane_gia
June 16th, 2008, 05:49 AM
As long as a braid counts as "up", then I wear my hair up most of the time.

Phalaenopsis
June 16th, 2008, 06:11 AM
mostly braids, so that's up, I gues :)

n3m3sis42
June 16th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I prefer my hair down, but for now I'm wearing it up most of the time for a variety of reasons. The most compelling reason is that it's disgusting here in Georgia from mid-May until sometime in October.

In the fall, winter, and spring, I prefer to wear it down, and I most likely will do so at least once or twice a week. :)

Anje
June 16th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I'm about 50/50 between updos (read: buns) and braids, but since both keep hair off my neck, I'm calling it "up" most of the time. It really only is down in public when I want to look a little dressier or when it's still drying.

mira-chan
June 16th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Almost always up. It annoys me when down.

tiny_teesha
June 16th, 2008, 07:25 AM
i didn't vote because my answer isn't black and white.
I prefer the look of it down most of the time, (it flatters my face better but looks worse down all thin and sad)
Up i prefer for comfort (it annoys me in summer especially) but it looks worse (for my face)
:)

harley mama
June 16th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I wear mine down most of the time. I enjoy having it down and free
unless I am swimming, riding or doing yard work.

I do think it is getting to a point that I might have to start keeping it
up (or, at least braided). It tends to get hung in stuff more now.

Isilya
June 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I usually only wear my hair completely down on 'special' occasions, like going to dinner with the entire family. I stopped wearing it down to go to uni. The few times I tried to, I ended up bunning/braiding it because it annoyed me too much (taking notes when your hair covers your blocnote isn't that easy :))

Nightshade
June 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I grow my hair long to wear it down, that said, it's mostly worn up.

It's worn up all the time at work as 1) I work with a lot of guys and the "Hurrrrr, redhead!" is bad enough without it being, "Hurrrrr, redhead with hair to her ass!" So more or less because it looks professional (to other people) up, because it doesn't then grind behind my back and the chair, and because it won't get caught in power tools, it's up at work.

At home it's up a lot because I'm working on sticks or other projects and I don't need glue/metal shavings/sawdust in it, much less wanting to risk it getting caught in the Dremel. When I'm at the puter I also like it up for the aforementioned back and chair grinding thing.

Sleeping I like it braided or if it's wet, in a bun.

So while I love my hair down, I usually save that for when I'm out and about, shopping, going to a play, visiting family and the like :) I will say that since I started wearing it up so much, the condition of my hair has improved greatly.

morgwn
June 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM
It's worn up all the time at work as 1) I work with a lot of guys and the "Hurrrrr, redhead!" is bad enough without it being, "Hurrrrr, redhead with hair to her ass!" So more or less because it looks professional (to other people) up, because it doesn't then grind behind my back and the chair, and because it won't get caught in power tools, it's up at work.

:rollin:This had me cracking up, partly because I can imagine it from personal experience with guys being immature around women with longer hair. But the workplace was one other reason I forgot to mention that I mostly wear my hair up: it keeps my eyes clear and I also get complimented on my hairstyles and (it seems) appear professional.

florenonite
June 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I wear my hair up mostly, though I do like it down.

sapphire-o
June 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I wear it down a lot because I just look better that way and feel younger - skinny girl with big long hair. When it's up I look just like a tired old lady. I wear it up a lot in the house to do works. I think it's reaching the upper limit of wearing down regularly, though as it's really starting to get into things. :)

Nightshade
June 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
:rollin:This had me cracking up, partly because I can imagine it from personal experience with guys being immature around women with longer hair. But the workplace was one other reason I forgot to mention that I mostly wear my hair up: it keeps my eyes clear and I also get complimented on my hairstyles and (it seems) appear professional.

*chuckles* glad to amuse. Not all guys are like that, hell, not even the majority, but you only need so many of these looks :eyebrows: before you decide that going for the Tight Bunned Mean Look is a good idea. :rolleyes:

I don't often get compliment on my updos (sometimes on my sticks), but I got a lot of insightful comments like, "HEY! How's your reception with those antennae sticking out of yer head!?"

Just_Isabel
June 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I don't often get compliment on my updos (sometimes on my sticks), but I got a lot of insightful comments like, "HEY! How's your reception with those antennae sticking out of yer head!?"

:lol: That's really funny. :o

Paniscus
June 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Last year, I would have said down. Now that I'm (FINALLY) getting longer, I had to vote, "Mostly up." It's just easier for me right now. Also, with the heat and humidity, it's much cooler while I'm at work.

Chamomilemaiden
June 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
If you asked me 2-3 years ago it would be down, I suppose I hid behind my hair. Now itīs the opposite - I hide my hair :), sometimes I feel that long blond hair are too striking (I donīt know, maybe itīs just me). I originally started to wear my hair up, because I wanted to reduce the breakage and splitting of the ends (still true) now itīs also because the hair gets in my way more when down and I donīt feel as vulnerable.

freznow
June 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Up up and away!

I have to concur with Chamomilemaiden's statement. I hide my hair. I'm a bit nervous with it down, most of the time, and it's easier and more practical when it's up.

HeavenlyTresses
June 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I prefer my hair down, but for now I'm wearing it up most of the time for a variety of reasons. The most compelling reason is that it's disgusting here in Georgia from mid-May until sometime in October.

In the fall, winter, and spring, I prefer to wear it down, and I most likely will do so at least once or twice a week. :)

This is my second summer in Georgia and yea, it's disgusting. I wear mine down most of the time but with the humidity it goes in a braid as fast as possible. And now that I am becoming a little hair stick savvy I opt for a bun once in a while.

Poolsoflaughter
June 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I voted 50/50. I normally wear my hair up when: A. It's incredible hot or windy out, or B. It's really greasy, and I don't want to/cannot wash. I wear it down when sleeping, or when conditions are just right. :thumbsup:

n3m3sis42
June 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
This is my second summer in Georgia and yea, it's disgusting. I wear mine down most of the time but with the humidity it goes in a braid as fast as possible. And now that I am becoming a little hair stick savvy I opt for a bun once in a while.

It seriously is horrible here in the summer! I've pretty much been wearing nothing but buns with hairsticks for a few weeks now. The last time I tried to wear my hair down, it felt like I had on a fur cape. Yuck!

Leisha
June 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
My hair's almost always up.

I would like to wear it down a bit more often, but I'm not used to it and it gets in the way.

Plus I also feel a bit like a show-off sometimes with my hair down.

Partly because I have a tendency to keep rearranging it, I guess that goes with being not used to it, but I always think people would get irritated with me fussing with my hair constantly. :p

Also, people almost always comment when they see me with my hair down, because it's usually in an updo.
It's actually positive comments (or something neutral like "wow your hair is really long"), but I get a bit shy and insecure :rolleyes: when I'm the centre of attention like that and people are focused on how I look... :o

(I tried to do the "wear hair down" challenge but I pretty much failed :o )

AJoifulNoise
June 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I wear my hair up about 90-95% of my waking life (it is nearly always down when I sleep). It's just more practical and safer for my hair and for me.

Lixie
June 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM

To which you reply "Oh yes, your village called. They were wondering where their idiot had gotten to." :gabigrin:

Back on topic: I wear my hair up most of the time, especially outside. It's just not practical to have mid-butt-length hair floating about all over the place.

littlemiss
June 16th, 2008, 04:07 PM
For me it down 100per cent and when ever I can!! I associate hair up with work!!

Kiraela
June 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Well, during the winter I keep it down most of the time, but from the middle of spring (so.. march or april) onwards, it's too hot to keep down on a regular basis, so it's in a braid or bun. I'm looking forward to late october, when it will be cool enough to keep it down during daylight again!

Louisiana's as miserable as GA, yeah :P

psvzum
June 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I like how mine looks better when it's down. Maybe if I could get the knack of some of the beautiful updo's I have seen on this board, I'd like it better up : )

ZaBasDa
June 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I think I look horrid with my hair up, so I mostly wear it down. Even when it is so humid and hot outside that you think you will drown and probably boil if you spend more than a few hours outside. It doesn't get in my way much, but at home I do tend to wear it in a loose ponytail just to keep me cooler.

goldenwaves
June 18th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I chose 50/50. I like having it down when it looks nice, but up when it doesn't. It also depends what I'm doing. If I'm dancing or doing sport I have it up, if it's something formal I have it down or half down. I have to have it up at school, which sucks.

Nicole.Amina
June 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I chose down. I just cannot come to terms with how I look with my hair up.

Paradise Lost
June 18th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I voted "mostly up".
When my hair was longer, I used to prefer it down, but wore it mostly up to prevent damage. Now, I wear it up just so that I don't see how short my hair is :grin:

Carolyn
June 18th, 2008, 05:58 AM
There is a big difference in what I prefer and what I do. I would prefer to wash it every day, blow it dry, use a large barrel curling iron and wear it down. But I don't do that as that would be so damaging. I wear it up in a bun or braid most of the time. If it's up or braided I don't have to wash it every day and it's more protected. I live in a very windy place and wearing it down much just isn't practical. So I have to settle for wearing it down on special occasions or just now and then for the heck of it.

Robbi Dehlinger
June 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM
mine is not rerally long enough to pin up that mich, so that is why it is down all of the time:)

rhubarbarin
June 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I LOVE the way it looks down, but mostly wear it up (braided or bunned with a hair fork). When I'm not at work I'm doing something where it gets in the way.. however for special occaisions or if I want to feel pretty I will always wear it down.

smilelads
June 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I usually wear it both up and down. If it's a casual day, I'll wear it up, but like for church I'll wear it down curly (natural) or up curled (hotsticks).
I'm currently trying to give my hair a break from anything damaging.

Poppy Seed
June 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hair up - all the way. Well, actually on the very rare special occasion I'll leave it down (as in pretty much all loose). For slightly less special occasions (e.g. cycling to work) I'll wear it 'down' as in, a plait down my back.

Completely down it gets too tangly and worse, it gets into everything - like an inquisitive child's fingers!

Sana
June 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I like my hair to be in some sort of updo as it reduces tangles & breakage. But personally I would love to wear braids once it gets to about tb!!

Patrycja
June 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Even when I'm not part of the updo challenge thingy-its always up.I get hot and sweaty if its down.

Just plain ICK

embee
June 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM
I don't think I've left my house with my hair loose/down in *years*. Tangle-city and horrible look and *hot*.

Millielie
June 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
I prefer my hair being up or at least in a ponytail. Especially at this stage (shoulder).

jesamyn
June 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
I like how my hair looks down, but it's high summer right now. It's never down. Actually, even in the winter I usually have it up at home. I like my hair back and out of the way.

julya
June 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
Up for me, except for special occasions.

Arual
June 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I almost always wear mine up- nowadays, if I leave it down I feel scruffy and untidy.

Talythia
June 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I went for 50/50, because my hair is generally half-up or tied back in various ways. I never have it just down though, because it tends to blow everywhere, especially over the top of my head and into my face, and get tangled.

LongForLife
June 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hello everyone, I am new and just voted. ;) Part of the reason I have long hair is because I love the way it looks down. So I usually try to wear it down, especially whenever I am out and about. However, since I have young kids, I usually keep it in a loose ponytail fastened at the nape of the neck when I am around the house, so it doesn't get in my way... or isn't pulled by the kids. :D
I always have it down when I sleep. If I wear it up otherwise, that usually consists of a tighter low ponytail or half-way up, which still shows the pretty hair down, but keeps it farther away from my face.

zanne
June 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Always up for work in my staple quickie hairstic bun, and down about half the time at home. I like to wear it down when i'm just out and about, though.

nissamholtz
June 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
I prefer to wear mine up.

Haith
June 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I love to wear it both up and down, depending on the day. And some days I can't keep my hands out of, so I end up putting it up and taking it down again a couple times. I voted 50-50.

laughter777
June 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM
My hair is down about 75% of the time. Although since finding LHC I am learning cute new updos to try so it may be up 50% of the time. DH loves it long and down!

Belisama
June 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
My hair is mostly up or braided. Very rarely do I let it hang loose. It's so whispy fine that it gets everywhere and in everything. Lately the only time I have it down is in the shower or between taking out my braid and putting it into a bun.

Robbi Dehlinger
June 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hi!

I so love the feel of my hair that I hate pinning it up.

Of course, when I get past waist length, I am sure I will want to pin it up more?

Islandgrrl
June 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I voted mostly up even though it's always up. Aside from the fact that I'm just past halfway in my hair up for a year challenge, I really do wear it up every day. I take it down, of course, to wash, but it goes right back up.

wilmot
June 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I almost always wear my hair up. When it's down it gets in my face right away and I haven't gotten used to that feeling.

Maybe when I learn more about taking care of my hair it'll look and feel better down.

starfire
June 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I prefer it down. It only goes up when needed (when it's too hot, when I'm cleaning/cooking, etc).

Tangles
June 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Down. I just feel more feminine and sexy with my hair down. It softens my strong features, goes with my irreverent, free-spirited nature, and guys like it better that way too ^_^ Half ups are also good.

On the other hand... sometimes, putting my hair up makes me feel elegant and is really satisfying... so I'd say 75% down, 25% up

sexyjacksparrow
June 28th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I like mine down. I don't think I'm very pretty and my curls make me look more feminine.

Kerry xx

Gumball
July 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
Oh I definitely have to go with up. If it's down for a while it just gets to be too much work combing it all out and getting all the tangles out. Once in a blue moon for a good occasion I'll wear it down though. Also it's just fun to find ways to put it up.

PetiteHatter
July 1st, 2008, 12:21 AM
50/50 because sometimes I like it up and sometimes I like it down

BrownieLocks
July 1st, 2008, 12:58 AM
I wear my hair down ALL the time <3333333.

socks
July 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM
I always wear my hair up. Even beyond the obvious reasons of convienience and damage prevention, wearing my hair up allows me to go about my day without attracting too much attention. I can't get anything done when my hair is down, since people are always stopping me to ask about it when they can see how long it is. Even when my hair is in a tight braid and about a foot shorter than when it's loose, I still get stopped. :rolleyes:

Arniky
July 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
mostly down sometimes have it up

Robbi Dehlinger
July 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM
I always wear my hair up. Even beyond the obvious reasons of convienience and damage prevention, wearing my hair up allows me to go about my day without attracting too much attention. I can't get anything done when my hair is down, since people are always stopping me to ask about it when they can see how long it is. Even when my hair is in a tight braid and about a foot shorter than when it's loose, I still get stopped. :rolleyes:

Well, with your length, I might see why? Wish mine were 5' 3" long right now? Someday:)

janaana
July 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
If my hair's down, it usually means that whatever I used to put it up in the morning has been lost or broken during the day! Even then I'll probably tie it in a knot at the back of my neck to stop it falling over my face.

Marchpane
July 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I find it's kind of a bother to put my hair up, so I usually leave it down. Also I like the curls. But now at work I need to wear it up so perhaps this will change... but after work I always let it back down! I wear ponytails (or did) a fair bit though... kind of blah really as far as hairstyles go, the past few years. :\ With all these great style ideas though, and learning that it's better to keep hair untangled and undamaged, I might start wearing it up other times too. I need to get some pretty hairtoys and that for sure will induce me to keep it up! :)

Tangles
July 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
I like my hair down better, but only when it's looking at its best. I've learned that on bad days, wearing it up is far more flattering than down. I think most women look better with hair down, provided it's clean and well taken care of.

Darian Moone
July 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Absolutely down! I really like my hair to be loose.

chainedangel
July 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
about 50/50 right now. but that may change soon as I'm thinking of wearing it up for a nonvi straight.

EvaSimone
July 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
It used to be mostly down but now that it has gotten longer I am mostly wearing my hair up.

It's funny how much I have changed my mind about my hair, I used to always wear it down before LHC and even in the beginning and midway I used to think "How can these people have such beautiful hair and never take it down?!? When my hair is long I'll wear it down every day!!" Ahhh naivete :D

susiemw
July 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I almost always wear it up....even if I start out with my hair down, I just run too hot to wear it down and I end up putting it up. Even a braid on my neck is too warm in this heat and humidity. but I am enjoying learning the new braids.

susan

yogachic
July 2nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
When I am working around the house, or its summer time, I have to have my hair up. When its freezing cold in the winter, I have to have it down, to keep me warm.

RavennaNight
July 3rd, 2008, 12:43 AM
I really prefer to wear it down, but not at work, because it gets caught on stuff, like the fire extinguisher by the back door. It wasn't fun. I like to enjoy length, and part of that is feeling the length against my back.

Laululintu
July 3rd, 2008, 05:17 AM
My hair is mostly up, because it loves to tangle like mad otherwise.

almudena
July 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Down. It is up for practical reasons only (with my kids, around the house, high temperatures)

AprilElf
July 4th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I love wearing my hair down. I would prefer to wear it down most of the time if I was a lady of leisure and didn't have to do anything practical at all.
But I actually wear it 'mostly up' to keep it out of the way and in good condition. ;)

Faepirate
July 4th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Mostly up for me.

I love wearing my hair down, but it is difficult to manage that way so I only wear it down when it's drying, on special occasions, or when I'm having a lazy slob day and just haven't got around to doing anything to it yet.

gthlvrmx
March 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Up, up, and away!! That's my hair thing.

lostchyld
March 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Up. I never feel like I'm finished dressing until my hair is up.

Covet
March 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I prefer my hair down because I like to hide behind it to be honest. I am trying wearing it up and it's going okay so far :shrug:. It does tangle so much more if I leave it down though. :doh:

Iolanthe13
March 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM
When my hair is up, I want to take it down and play with it/feel prettier. And when it's down, I worry about tangles and feel the need to put it up. In the winter, it's down, to keep me warm, and in the summer it's usually up.

Amber_Maiden
March 19th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Mostly up...

Scarlet_Heart
March 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I think it looks better down, but it's just way more convenient to put it up, especially for work.

Plus, my hairstyles aren't all that impressive by LHC standards, but I love the "how did you do that" looks and comments I get from the high school girls (I'm a teacher).

eicamawa
March 19th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I prefer to have my hair up, but I yhink I lppk best with my hair down, so I took the 50/50.

Carrie Ingalls
March 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I wear my hair up almost 100% of the time. for a special occasion I may wear I bun with a loose or braided/roped tail. If I go through with my tentative cut I may end up wearing it down more than I do now.

melusine963
April 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I haven't worn my hair down in well over a year. I found I got far too many tangles, it got in the way of everything, and it never stayed looking tidy.

Taenarian
April 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Come that first hot day of the year, I swear I won't wear it down again until the first frost! (Of course, I do, anyway.)

lady_hero
April 15th, 2012, 02:30 PM
About 50/50 here. I like to wear it down and haven't ever had any ill-effects. But, during the humid south Texas summer, I almost always have it up.

Laylah
April 15th, 2012, 02:39 PM
About 50/50 here. My favorite thing to do with my hair is wear it down so I can feel it on my back and see the length. I'm at tailbone so it gets pretty tangled if I'm not careful, but long hair isn't worth it for me if I can't wear it down. I mean updos can look nice, but I definitely prefer it down.

luxepiggy
April 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
It's funny, I used to be mostly-up, but since I joined LHC, I mostly leave it down. I know, I'm all backwards (^(oo)^)`

Majala
April 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I wear it down always. The reason I want my hair to grow longer is because I find it looks and feels so good down the back. Occasionally I wear a loose ponytail if I really have to, but I can't imagine wearing a bun, I think I would feel tied down.

catamonica
April 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I wear my hair in a braided bun five days a week. Weekends I wear it down. It feels good to
wear in down. My husband likes to see it down at least on weekends.

ladylowtide
April 15th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I love it up, but I do 50/50 because I have so many layers.

EtherealDoll
April 16th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Probably 50/50. I used to wear it up all the time when it was shorter but after it reached BSL I started wearing it down because I liked how it looked :)

sugarsugar
April 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I like to wear it down as much as I can, but if I wear anything with a hood it looks much better up. I couldn't be bothered to keep my hair long if I just wore it up most of the time; I guess it's vanity because I like to show off my length!

Jessy22284
April 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I prefer it down... (although I do love pony tails) but I'm trying to be converted to up so that it will groooowwww :cool:

MissCoco
April 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM
It's funny, I used to be mostly-up, but since I joined LHC, I mostly leave it down. I know, I'm all backwards (^(oo)^)`

Me too, actually! :p Personally, I think it's because I knew less about taking care of my hair before, so I would mostly put it up, but once I got more knowledgeable about hair care and my hair's condition improved, I let it down more. Funny, huh? :rolleyes:

longNred
April 17th, 2012, 11:59 AM
pretty even 50/50 for me. I like it down, but it's often in the way... and then it goes up.

nessa454
April 18th, 2012, 03:27 AM
As I have a lot of hair sticks and forks I'm wearing my hair up almost every day becaues it's so quick and easy. Sometimes I also braid my hair, but I almost never leave it open. At least a half up :D

Maiken
April 18th, 2012, 03:45 AM
I'm mostly wearing it up these days. Sometimes i will take it down for a few hours,, but i always end up putting it back in the ponytail or bun it came from.

Freija
April 18th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Mine will be up, when the layers are long enough to put it up loosely and comfortably. Buns don't work at the moment, because bits of hair always start to unravel, so I imagine it will probably be the end of the year before I can wear hairsticks (I don't like hairpins much!). And plaits are the same (but as soon as I can wear it in an English plait I will be doing that most days - damaging to the ends it may be, but there is no hairstyle more comfortable!).

Obviously, for everyday-hair comfort and ease of use come first - but for a special occasion it would, without question, be up, however uncomfortable!

hototogisu
April 19th, 2012, 02:34 AM
I didn't think I wore my hair up that much, until I came into work with my hair loose and the office manager exclaimed 'where did all that hair come from?' She then asked (kindly) why I grew my hair long if i wore it up all the time, which made me feel kinda bad.

I keep a couple of large hairpins in my pocket at all times, so I usually twist my hair into a really quick bun as soon as I set foot outside, then take it down when I get inside. It gets really windy in the Netherlands!

nobeltonya
April 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Down, although in the summer I wear it up more during the day, otherwise it sticks to my neck and itches [and it's really hot].. but I try as much as I can to keep it down. :)

Venefica
April 20th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I think my hair which is thick and at a little below classic length looks very petty down, however when my hair is down I have to make sure it do not get caught in doors, do not end up in the toilet when I sit down to do what nature commands, do not get sat on and so on so for me wearing my hair down is not an option other than for very rare occasions. I applaud those who are able to wear their hair long hair down. I am not able to. The only down hairstyle which work for me are braids.

sunshine-locks
April 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
I like having my hair up while at home or at DF's (well, pinned back anyway,with a stubby ponytail) but when I'm at school I generally don't pin it up.. feels too dorky at the moment! :P

Lindsey999
April 23rd, 2012, 04:45 AM
I usually wear my hair down when it is freshly washed and up the rest of the time as it gets in such a mess after sleeping! :(

shutterpillar
April 23rd, 2012, 05:02 AM
I am used to wearing my hair down all the time. I very very rarely wore it up in the past. Even my MIL commented the other day that it may be the first time she saw my with my hair up in all the time she has known me (which is about 8 years).

But now that I am going for an unusual length by society's standards, I have been putting my hair up every other day in an attempt to protect it better and get my hair used to being up. I still get headaches regardless to how loose I make my bun, but I'm sure I will get used to it soon.

Jing
April 23rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
I'm surprised that so many people leave their hair down for the most part considering how much talk there is around here about how much damage leaving your hair down does. Personally I can't stand leaving my hair down for very long at this length; it gets in my face, it gets in my mouth, it tickles my neck, it gets caught in collars... When I had long hair when I was younger, I left it down all the time. Never even put it in a pony tail until my best friend gave up on subtle hints and just told me to start doing that. :p I didn't know anything about hair care back then; I only had long hair because it never occured to me to tell my hairdresser anything other than "just cut the tips off."

Thenolegirl
April 23rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Mostly down unless I'm working out, in the shower, washing my face etc. Especially when I'm cooking. My hair isn't long enough yet for this to be a problem =) But I'm getting a lot of inspiration for updos from LHC =) Once I get a hair fork, up it goes lol

Ishje
April 23rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
mostly up, I only wear it down once in a while for example when I go to a fancy dinner or party.
otherwise I get annoyed by my hair because it is in the way.
also a reason why I like my hair longer, it is just more easy to put it up.

1nuitblanche
April 23rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
For practical reasons, my hair is pretty much always up. I wish I could wear it down more often though!

kidari
May 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM
I mostly prefer it up.

arjay.d
May 2nd, 2012, 12:07 AM
I prefer to have it up (which I voted for), and I just joined a wear it up challenge. It used to bug me to no end to be down, but over the last year I've worn it down more and more for things like that one strand in a braid or bun that pulls everything else, no matter how many times you redo it. Or tension headaches, which seem to get worse when I let it down. It's weird.

Johanna
May 2nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
I used to wear it down all the time until I got past BSL. After that it was just a bit too much in the way for a lot of things. Now it feels like a special day to have it out.

PurplePenguin
May 2nd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Mostly down because my hair isn't quite shoulder length straight and curly its even shorter. It takes a lot of combing and oils to get my hair even into a pony tail. We won't even discuss my poorly done, tiny buns I try to manage.

melbournian
May 2nd, 2012, 05:03 AM
Right now my hair is only just past shoulder length, so I leave it down a lot, but at work or if I'm going to get hot I tie it up so it's off my neck.

irishlady
May 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
I almost always have my hair in a bun of some sort. Sometimes in a french plait.

Bianca
May 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Almost always down... :)

Long_hair_bear
May 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
I prefer it down but wear my hair up 5 days a week to help protect the ends.

AdaClare
May 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
I've been trying to wear my hair up/braided more often lately, but most of the time I wear it down.

Kristen121
May 5th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Mostly up here. I need to have it up at work and at home I usually put it up because my baby will grab and pull my hair while i am nursing her when I have it down. For special occasions, I usually wear it down or half up.

DarkCurls
May 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I voted 50/50 because my favorite styles are half-ups. :p Absolutely love these.
I've started wearing my hair up more often for protection.
But my favorite is still down, I love having my hair down, that's why I want long hair.

CurlySasha
May 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM
My hair is ALWAYS in a cinnabun: it's easy, fast, and accepted by the "normal" world!

SacantRoese
May 7th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Mine is down 99% of the time! I just can't stand the feeling of having my hair pulled away from my face or having anything in it, like rubber-bands, etc...
I really should braid it/put it up more to keep it from getting tangled during the day, but I like to hide behind it too much. :<

maradeerfarmer
May 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM
As soon as my hair was long enough to put up at all (I'm growing out from a pixie) it was up at work. I work as a vet and spend a lot of time in theatre and bits of it keep creeping out from underneath the suegery cap otherwise!

I can't say my principal motivation was anything other than practicality... I usually wear it down in the evenings. It does not tangle easily, and BF prefers it that way...

Katharina
May 9th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Up, always. I don't like my hair fluttering and I love updos!

Freyariane
May 10th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I wear my hair mostly down! But I'm trying to change this habit ^^

Zindell
May 10th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Almost always down! (It's around BSL now and I plan on getting it to midback or waist).

The few times it's up it's either
- a halfup
- a dutch braid
- a messy french twist with a clawclip (during hot summer days)

Sunny_Waits
May 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I have to wear mine up most of the time because the infant wants to grab handfuls... when she's asleep, I get to wear it down. I don't really like to keep it up because it gives me a headache, but it's better than having it pulled out...

DrLove2B
May 11th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I wear mine down if I'm going to be inside most of the time/it's my day off. I work with animals so at work it's always tied back somehow, usually a braid.

DrLove2B
May 11th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I wear my hair down if I'm going to be inside/it's my day off. I work with animals though so at work my hair is always up, usually in a braid.

earthnut
May 11th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Down inside, usually. Up outside, usually.

RiotPrrl
May 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Definitely up. At this length, it turns into such a tangled mess when it's down.

Raponsje
May 12th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Up during the day and down in the evening. I am so used to having my hair up that I can't tolerate it down while going through the day. Also, and this is a little silly, having my hair down makes me feel like it is to exposed. Like wearing a skirt that is to short. People are more likely to comment the thickness and the length (unsolicited) when I wear it down.

eicamawa
May 13th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I prefer how I looj with the hair down, but I usually have my hair up, and love making different updoes.

lolot
May 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
now that is a little bit longer i prefer down, but i wear it up most time because of the tangles

AcornMystic
May 13th, 2012, 02:18 AM
It was a hard choice between 50/50 and mostly down. For work I am required to wear it up, although I prefer to wear my loose. On occasion I will wear it up outside of work, but I like to enjoy feeling the length finally brushing my shoulders. So, I don't think I could say 50/50 and have it really be accurate. It's probably more 25/75. When my hair gets longer I may start wearing it up more. I do hope to learn more updos, experiment a little and all that. We'll see what the future brings. ^.^

terylenerose
May 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I keep it up because it's too short to wear down. Yes, you read that right. The layers in the front are no good for wearing down, and the total length would just get on my nerves if I wore it down all the time because it's so short compared with where I want it. Also, if I want it longer, I have to wear it up at least some so it doesn't get yucky and have to be cut off.
There, more than I'm sure anyone wanted to know. :)

MintChocChip
May 18th, 2012, 04:16 AM
On a day-to-day basis I mostly put my hair up. I love trying out different updos and experimenting with different buns, plaits etc. However, I do love to have my hair down, so I will normally have my hair down for a special occassion. (Which seems a bit like the wrong way round somehow!)

Ticky
May 18th, 2012, 04:35 AM
For me it is 50-50. When I go out, it is braided most of the time, but at home i like to keep it down or in a half-up.

Palla
May 18th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Down. Partly out of laziness, partly because I loooove how my hair looks down. Okay, mostly out of laziness.

I have my hair up 1) at the gym and 2) when I'm at work (I work with power tools. I used to be able to ponytail it, until it got caught in a screwgun and I realized I'd finally hit the point of Really Long Hair. Now I rock the work cinnamon bun).

On occasion, I'll do something funky and up or half-up, but I'm just a free-flowing hippie with my hair.

Servana
May 18th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I voted cheese, because "mostly down" doesn't describe it for me. My hair is always down. Always. The only time it isn't down is when it's drying in a towel. However, I let it down & out of the towel after 5-10 minutes.

sometimesginger
June 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM
It's about 50/50 for me... I keep it down a lot, but if it's getting in my way, then I'll throw it up. (lol, a lot of the time I'll go to school with my hair down and come home with it up).

Henrietta
June 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Mostly up!
Now when it's slightly post waist I wear it down for walks because I like when DBF takes pictures of it :)

Nikinka
June 16th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I wear my hair down mostly:) Somethimes in a low ponytail.

lapushka
June 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM
It's mostly up. Mostly in a folded peacock twist kind of "style", if you can call it that. My hair's past hip now, so it wouldn't be comfortable to wear it down most times.

Fiorentina
May 28th, 2023, 02:07 PM
I voted: Mostly Up, because I just let it down after washing for drying. I love having my hair in a bun.
Regards
Fiorentina

sipnsun
May 28th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Mostly up because it really annoys me when it's down. It gets into everything, I can't even stand it in a braid anymore because it will end up in my food or drink!