PDA

View Full Version : how often do you put your hair in a ponytail?

ldc441
April 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
in any kind (high, low,middle or a side)

Chetanlaiho
April 20th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I try to avoid them, I used to wear them 24/7 for about, ten years maybe? xD (tight too *shiver*)

Now I only do it if my hair is still wet when I'm going to sleep (not a big fan of braid waves) or if I still want it 'kind of down' but out of the way I'll do a low loose ponytail with a clothed scrunchie :)

Copasetic
April 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Maybe like once every two weeks. I normally wear buns, or half up half down.

ashke50
April 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Not for years.
Loose, plaits, or buns for me.

dinnee
April 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I used to wear mine in a pony tail every single day for years. But since I joined here, it's been in buns and braids and updoes. :) No more ponytails for me!

NotInPortland
April 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I put mine in a very loose low side ponytail maybe two times a week...I haven't had a chance to learn any nice buns yet really so it's usually either side ponytail or a braid that I do with my hair at the moment. It's always very loose though so I hope it's not causing any damage, I haven't noticed any yet anyway! Oh and I do a high ponytail the odd time if I'm going to the gym, I don't know what else to do with it!

Sundial
April 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I wear a low ponytail whenever I work out. I rarely wear high ponytails since I got past BSL because the weight of the hair pulling on my scalp makes it uncomfortable to do so

Runzel
April 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Years ago I wore them all the time, but since learning how to do buns with hairsticks I've found I couldn't go back to ponytails, the way they pull at my scalp is really uncomfortable in comparison to the even tension of buns or braids. Plus ponytails don't stay in place for me. So my answer is: never.

Rebecca.1905
April 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Never. I generally only put my hair up to exercise or clean, and then I use a loose claw clip.

MrsGuther
April 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I usually put my hair up in a half pulled through ponytail whenever I'm cooking, chasing after my toddler, changing a diaper etc. I use soft scrunchies and I don't pull the ponytail tight.

natatatt
April 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Everyday. When I'm at home, it's low and in a scrunchie.

Firefox7275
April 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Never: I wrecked my hair with a 24/7 ponytail. :(

Anje
April 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Every few weeks or so, for any sort of ponytail.

I think I've had a ponytail that I've worn for more than 2 hours about twice in the last four years, though. I've got a history of damage from them, and I prefer braids for keeping my length under control

Loreley
April 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Only a couple of times a year. Before LHC I used to wear my hair in a ponytail almost every day. I prefer buns now.

TheLionKing
April 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Too often. I would say 1/3 of the hairstyles I do is a ponytail. Its the most easiest hairstyle to do and it takes seconds to do

AuburnTresses
April 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
A low pony almost everyday. I find it's my stand by.

Carolyn
April 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hardly ever because of the horrendous tangling.

jojo
April 20th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Very rarely, at this length for it I might as wear it down then in a pony; it just gets in my face as much!

I prefer my loyal Gibraltar bun held with hair stick :)

ksanka02
April 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Every 3rd day after washing my hair :)

Madora
April 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Very rarely, if at all. I dislike the weight of a ponytail, plus the strain it puts on the hair in the ponytail.

Anje
April 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM
What's interesting is that it looks like the number of ponytail-wearers drops off pretty sharply at around 35 inches. If that actually holds up, I'd speculate that that's roughly the point where it just offers too little protection or the hair still gets in the way, and buns are more practical.

MissManda
April 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I prefer not to wear ponytails, especially with really strong elastics because even if they don't have metal in them, they still might be damaging. I've been on the hunt for scrunchie-like hair ties that can fit my hair and not slip out (silky hair isn't always fun). I do use Flexi-8s and this double comb thingy occasionally. I'd say that I wear ponytails one to three times a month, if that.

ETA: I'd like to find a non-damaging way of wearing ponytails because they are one of DF's favorite styles and they're handy if I don't have the means to do a bun.

delsh
April 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I wear mine in a ponytail about twice a week, when I go to the gym :) I have to get every bit out of my face, and I tend to get wispies with french braids or claw clips. I also put it up in a loose, looped ponytail with a scrunchy when I go to sleep to keep it out of my way. I can't wait until I can braid it overnight and it will actually stay!!

pepperminttea
April 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Never. I think the last time was a year ago, and that was the first time in a while. It hurt my scalp so much I haven't done it since.

Sanyia
April 20th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe once every few months, when I forget how uncomfortable it is. Then when I get home, I can't wait to get rid of the pony.

owlathena
April 20th, 2011, 03:31 PM
A couple days a week. A high pony with a scrunchie.

AspenSong
April 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I used to wear a ponytail every single day...EVERY day.

Now = Never. Too much tanglies in the tail part since my hair is longer and so fine.

I'm all about buns now. Or I should say BUN since I do a nautilus just about everyday. lol

squiggyflop
April 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
um.. i wear a beebutt bun held in the back of my head tightly by an elastic.. did i mention how TIGHTLY i have it?

i hardly ever wear a ponytail with the ends down because really at that point why not wear it fully down.. i do sometimes wear my hair ponytailed tightly with the ends braided like some kind of whip.

SwordWomanRiona
April 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM
in any kind (high, low,middle or a side)

I love high ponytails! (as shown in my avatar :)) I put my hair in a high ponytail at least twice a week. I never wear my hair in a low ponytail, however, I don't think it suits me + I find them uncomfortable.

ArienEllariel
April 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
fairly often cause my hair is being a butt and this seems to help keep it in line when nothing else will.

Cinnamoon
April 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Most days. I don't like to, but my options are pretty limited at my length and thickness. I can't do buns without about twenty elastics and a regiment of hair pins, which isn't especially good for my hair, and my braid is too short with too big of a tassel to look good.

beez1717
April 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Iwear one half of the time. The other half of the time my hair is down,

racrane
April 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I use scrunchies and make sure it's a loose pony, but I use them to workout and sleep as my hair is too short to really make a good braid. But once my hair is long enough to make a decent braid, I'll start wearing braids again. Ponytails hurt my head sometimes.

Ciridae
April 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM
My scalp hurts if I wear ponytails for extended periods - I find it easier to braid or bun. But a slick and healthy, thick ponytail is one of the most beautiful simple hairstyles there are, in my opinion!

psychobilly5
April 20th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I wear pony tails every day due to work. It's approx. APL right now and I've never figured out the trick to buns without using billions of bobbie pins and elastic anyhow. But I hate how damaging it is to the hair. I tend to wear mine very high. my hair is at the length where it doesn't get in my way and it's off of my neck when working.

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I wear one almost every day, but I'm starting to learn that's a bad thing. But I've been doing it most of my life and never thought about it! :eek:

free_hug
April 20th, 2011, 09:30 PM
But how exactly is it a bad thing?

I'm a shortie (never reaching shoulder), and I wear one every day, since it's way more comfortable than having the ends tickle my neck or fall in my face all the time. At no length, there is no chance for a decent updo... Also, I use soft ones - actually, ones I cut out from my old, worn out cotton stockings.

So is this supposed to cause damage? Or dos that just happen to longer, heaver hair? Or wearing it too high up, pulled too closely? Seriously, if done right, can't it be just fine? To me it's actually part of my benign neglect procedure. (sort of...)

growingpains
April 20th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Way too often I think. I am noticing some breakage on the baby fine hairs arounf my face. It's kinda baby hair and fluflly so I pretty much always have it, but it sems like more than normal. I attribute that to monthly ponytails to sleep (using a tight elastic), and a couple ponytails per week when lazy.

I find a pony tail pretty much unfailingly looks good on me and, despite it's damaging properties, when used in the day it is ironically my hair conscious attempt to avoid heat.

I should get scrunchies asap for sleep.

I should also turn back to braids occasionally, but not big on braid waves these days. Maybe I should try french, might give better waves.

ETA: and learn updos! HOW TO LEARN??

christine1989
April 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I never put my hair in a ponytail anymore- I just think an updo looks a bit more put together.

luxepiggy
April 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Rarely . . . once a month at the very most, usually for dates or clubbing. All the guys I know really like it when I wear ponytails. I think it's because my face generally looks more attractive in an updo, but they like to touch my hair, so the ponytail is the best of both worlds.

CathyEarnshaw
April 20th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Maybe once a week. I've stopped using elastics though because I noticed some breakage. I now do a ponytail at the nape using a Flexi-8

Macaroni
April 21st, 2011, 12:08 AM
Any time my hair isn't in a bun, it's in a low ponytail. Hair hanging in my face and getting caught everywhere drives me insane.

Jomo
April 21st, 2011, 05:30 AM
I used to do it every day, but since seriously trying to grow hair I've cut back to like, maybe once or twice every few months when I want to show off the length for a special occasion. I love a low ponytail every now and then :D

I've sworn off the high ponytail though, especially with the weight of my hair now. It helped a lot that there's a woman who works at the petrol station across from me, who wears a tight, high ponytail everyday - and her whole hairline has receded back about an inch from her face :run:I can't even find a picture of traction alopecia that bad on the internet. It looks so, so awful and has really scared me away from tight hairstyles fullstop ! D:

Ostelot
April 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Actually every day, but the time wearing it isn't constant. About two days of the week I wear ponytail as a updo whole day, the other days I only wear it at home for a short time.

Sanyia
April 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Maybe once a month, and not for more than a couple of hours. My hair is nearing waist, and it feels heavy.

feb26
April 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
A few times a week, usually when exercising. I find claw clips get in the way when I do crunches...since I do alot of yoga and ab work, claws and clips don't work. I DO notice a tight feeling though when I wear it, think this is the length BSL and the weight of all that hair. I do love though how a ponytail bounces....:bounce:

elbow chic
April 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Almost never just a ponytail-- too much tangling and I have to pull it too tight to make it stay.

But a ponytail-based style probably two or three times a week. :) My favorite is to make a ponytail with a soft elastic, and then bun with hairsticks. My hair refuses to stay up using just the sticks.

Curlyg27
April 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Seems it is 50/50 for me, or 60/40 between pony tail and hair down, exlusively. Never do buns, or, almost never.

ibleedlipstick
April 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Whenever I run, do zumba, or anything involving a lot of jumping and no down time. If I'm sleeping or doing yoga, it is in a french braid. If I go for a run, I shove my hair in a high ponytail, braid the ponytail, and oil the crap out of the tip.

It may not be the healthiest thing, but buns fall out the second I start jumping, and not exercising is not an option.

Mrspuddinhead
April 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I could have sworn I posted here already yet I don't see my post. Anyway I usually wear a pony everyday. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm cooking, cleaning, etc,etc.... all day long. I see from a lot of posters that they stoped wearing their hair in a pony tail so this leads to my question. Is it wrong to wear my hair in a lose pony everyday?? I'm using non-metal elastics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

TheBluffs
April 28th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I don't do them anymore. For me, they are now like letting your hair down, but not as great. Plus, the tangles are horrible. just let your hair down, and make a day of it. :cheese:

tinywife
April 28th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Every other day, and that'll probably continue until my hair is long enough to be pretty.

maborosi
April 28th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I could have sworn I posted here already yet I don't see my post. Anyway I usually wear a pony everyday. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm cooking, cleaning, etc,etc.... all day long. I see from a lot of posters that they stoped wearing their hair in a pony tail so this leads to my question. Is it wrong to wear my hair in a lose pony everyday?? I'm using non-metal elastics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I don't think it's necessarily bad unless you're abusing your hair. I usually like to keep my hair up in a ponytail or bun just to keep it out of the way, and when I run, I keep it up in a high one. I haven't noticed any more breakage or worse hair when I wear it up.

~maborosi~

dulce
April 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM
hardly ever anymore as my temples have thinned out and 1 try to avoid any style that pulls-

soaponthemoon
April 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I try to avoid ponytails, I already have damaged hair..

Stub
April 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I used to wear ponytails everyday until I realized they give me migraines. Now it's all braids, all the time. Well, I'll do a really extremely loose pony for housework or sleeping if my hair is wet.

RavennaNight
April 28th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Pretty often. I like ponytails.

shikara
April 29th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Never. My hair tugs some, but even if it didn't, I'm not comfortable securing my hair that far up:eyebrows: unless it's a simple updo with a couple pins.

Quixii
April 29th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Nearly 24/7. :)

Clarita
April 29th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately, I wear one everyday. My hair is still too short to do much else with it. :(

hime_daruma_88
April 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM
almost every day, cause my hair tangles very easily when loose and gets in the way if I have to do something. I haven't noticed much more damage and I try to vary the place, higher, lower or side ponytail. but yea, it can be boring if you wear it all the time :D braids are pop.

Angeletti
April 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Maybe three times a month with a small scrunchie if that, the majority of the time I will have it in a french braid or some sort of a hairstick bun.

Aniah
April 29th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Quite frequently. A high ponytail when I'm rushing to school/ A top of crown ponytail when I'm sleeping

Sunsailing
April 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
...Now I only do it if my hair is still wet when I'm going to sleep (not a big fan of braid waves) .....
You should never wear a ponytail to bed. It puts too much stress on your hair (causes breakage, etc.)

To answer the question: I wear a ponytail everyday. Always to work. (Styles are limited for men with hair my length.)

Kathie
April 29th, 2011, 11:18 PM
In the last year... not once. Its all buns and twists for me.

Barbie Diamond
April 29th, 2011, 11:34 PM
All the time. They are low. Always use silk scrunchies. Never tight (often redoing them as the scrunchy slides down. Sometimes triple (i.e. my hare is 3 feet long, so I pull my hair through 2/3 of the way, gather the loop and the rest of the pony tail together and put a scrunchy around that. It holds well, does not pull, keeps me from sitting on it, looks professional, etc.

Remyy
April 30th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I pretty much try to avoid putting my hair in a ponytail. I braid it mostly or pin it up with hair sticks. The only time I put my hair in an elastic is when I first wake up in the morning and am brushing my teeth/washing face etc.

Fufu
April 30th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Not often because I don't like to tie my hair.

ingvild
April 30th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I wear a ponytail pretty often, I think my face looks good with all my hair pulled back. Recently I've been able to do a lazy wrap bun or cinnamon bun with my hair back the same way, though, and I'm trying to be more versatile. I used to wear ponytails when working out, but now my hair has gotten quite heavy and it gains a lot of momentum so I get slapped and my ponytail disintegrates :D The feeling of my tail tickling my neck is also kind of annoying to me.

I like wearing my hair in a flexi-8 ponytail, too :-)