PDA

View Full Version : putting hair up in opposite direction of growth - dangerous?

terpentyna
April 20th, 2011, 12:46 AM
So I have recently found crown braids quite comfortable and lasting. After I take one down though, I get that "follicle pain", like my hair was forced to be in another direction and now I'm forcing it in a different one again.

So from your experience: Does this cause hair to fall out? I really want to know this before it may be too late.

Thanks!

MonaLisa
April 20th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Want to know this too...
Always have the pain basically when hair is up even.
Is the pain harmless or it causes shedding :confused:

Braidy
April 20th, 2011, 01:21 AM
The only times I experience pain, be it with a braid of whatever type or with an updo, is when I pull my hair too tight. I used to love these really tight updo's but that did hurt a lot indeed so I switched to slightly looser to give my hair some breathing space (if that makes sense). I don't think the updo or braid on itself causes the pain, only how tight you make it.

terpentyna
April 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM
The only times I experience pain, be it with a braid of whatever type or with an updo, is when I pull my hair too tight. I used to love these really tight updo's but that did hurt a lot indeed so I switched to slightly looser to give my hair some breathing space (if that makes sense). I don't think the updo or braid on itself causes the pain, only how tight you make it.

It's true that tight braid stress your scalp, however many people will agree that just by putting hair in the opposite direction of its growth will cause discomfort, small to some and bigger to others.

I know that when you get tight braids (which I'm unable to do on my own head, I always have breathing space), it may cause shedding (I got cornrows before and I sure shed afterwards.) This is part of why I'm worried and curious about the opposite direction thing.

aisling
April 20th, 2011, 01:35 AM
No, this won't cause your hair to fall out, not in my experience at least. I change my part from the left side to the right sometimes, not often and my follicles can complain at first but soon settle down, get used to the new situation and I haven't noticed any increased shedding.

What can cause your hair to shed excessively is pain caused by a too tight updo, that can cause traction alopecia.

Phexlyn
April 20th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I get this when I do French or Dutch braids, sleep on them and take them out the next morning. I call it "root pain" :)
Usually it stops after 10-15 minutes, so I don't think it's harmful. Some people also get this when they shift their part, it's just the roots that need to adjust to a new direction of lying down. If the pain doesn't stop, maybe you were braiding/putting your hair up too tightly?

louisemg82
April 20th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I don't think what you're describing is dangerous, my hair complains if I part in the 'wrong' way too.
The danger comes when you constantly put your hair up very tightly because you can get 'traction alopecia' where you lose hair from the front or sides because they're been pulled too tight. My advice would be that if you've pulled too tight, take the style down and start again.
To get traction alopecia your style would have to be really really tight though; something like the style we call a 'Croydon Facelift' in England - a really high, excessive tight ponytail/bun that's been pulled back with mousse or gel and then hairsprayed down to within an inch of it's life!! I must apologise if I've offended any Croydon dwellers here and point out that not everyone in Croydon wears this style!

Mesmerise
April 20th, 2011, 03:51 AM
For me, even if I put my hair up in a high ponytail I get a lot of pain when I take it down (if I'm not used to wearing it that way... when I wore my hair like that every day I didn't get the pain).

I think it's just a normal consequence of wearing hair up, and I never noticed excess hair loss from it!

Lynda
April 20th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Oh, the agony. I've actually come home and run for the shower to get my head wet! :) That is instant relief.

Tightness of the 'do makes no difference for me, it's the "other direction" thing that hurts.

terpentyna
April 20th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Thanks for your input guys, makes me feel all safe :bluesmile:

Phexlyn - No, I never make my dos tight, I know I would be bothered and I don't have the skill I guess.

Lynda - You made me chuckle. cold water feels nice even though warm works more quickly.

WaitingSoLong
April 20th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I get intense follicle or root pain from wearing my hair in a manner that pulls it against the grain, so to speak. I was just referring to this in another post about higher up-dos. It is not from pulling too tight, just from brushing it the "wrong" direction (think petting a dog from tail to head). The pain I get is pretty bad, usually gives me a major headache and takes a half day at least to go away. I agree that cold feels better on it...JMO.

I rarely do this because of the pain so cannot speak to damage, but will say that after wearing a high bun, it has to be put back to where it normally falls and can incur a large amount on tangles, and tangles can equal damage is not handled carefully. My hair did not tangle like that when it was shorter, but it has ALWAYS had the follcile pain no matter how short it was.

Anje
April 20th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I get this too, and it's definitely from the hair going a different direction rather than tightness. It generally takes a few hours in a different position before my scalp starts complaining, though.

I've never noticed any increased shedding. I have noticed that if I've worn the strange-direction style all day, my follicles tend to ache until I wash my hair, so it's best only to do these just before wash day.

What is it about getting your head wet that fixes this?