PDA

View Full Version : Updos higher up on the head - do you wear them?

shikara
April 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I'm curious how many people have updos that they really like that sit higher up on the head. Not right on top of course, but just a little below that. If so, how do you style it? I'm finding that updos hold a little better for me there, and I'm looking for some variation...:blossom:

Dizzy_zzz
April 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
On the crown of my head I like to wear a lazy wrap bun, a figure 8 bun or a high ponytail. I love how the ponytail swishes around when it's high up! :) Though styles on the crown have been causing me headaches recently, and I've heard that they do other people as well. You haven't had any trouble with that?

Anje
April 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM
They tend to make my scalp hurt and are incompatible with my hat-wearing tendency. So my updos are usually ear-level or lower. If I were inclined to do so and/or had seriously heavy hair, I would probably retrain my scalp to accept very high updos so the weight would rest on top of my head instead of hanging by the hairs.

Sundial
April 19th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I like high cinnamon buns or bee butt buns or Gibraltar buns with spin pins! The spin pins are light and doesn't pull the buns down nor do they add pressure on the scalp when used in undos that are higher on the head.

As for high ponytails, I have heard some LHC members saying that a knotted ponytail helps to distribute the weight better (this came up during one of the Hairstyle of the Month thing where knot buns were the feature of the month). However it will only work on those with more length or less thickness

christine1989
April 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I like most of my updos high but with buns I find that gravity usually intervenes and pulls them down :(.

krissykins
April 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM
There's nothing I love more than a cinnamon bun at the crown of my head :D I can't help much with any variation, since I haven't switched it up a lot, but I do wear a knot bun at the crown. I bet it would look good with a tail of hair hanging out.

gthlvrmx
April 19th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Normal buns on men, closer to the top? Just higher than middle or low bun, look very nice personally :) I love to do it, i think i look more Japanese or something :p But it causes more tangling when i take it down, but it feels great on my head :)

racrane
April 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I like to put up a high ponytail when I feel I'm in a rut with my hair. I feel so bouncy. :) It's a nice change for me.

shikara
April 19th, 2011, 11:26 PM
On the crown of my head I like to wear a lazy wrap bun, a figure 8 bun or a high ponytail. I love how the ponytail swishes around when it's high up! :) Though styles on the crown have been causing me headaches recently, and I've heard that they do other people as well. You haven't had any trouble with that?

Actually, these are the most comfortable for me as anythng lower pulls hairs and falls down, and I've probably tried every trick and tool. In fact, although my current bun (twisted chignon) does pin well there, I have made a headband that has a small 'flap' so to speak, and I secure the bun to that, then just add a pin or two so it doesn't move around. I would so love it if I could just wear any ol' bun anywhere on my head, but, alas, it is not to be:violin:

Hotrox
April 20th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I wear all my updo's a little higher on my head. For me they flatter my profile more.

Cinnabuns, french rolls, peacock twists, sock buns and ponies (only ones I can do so far) all start just below my crown

Phexlyn
April 20th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I love a cinnabun or flipped cinnabun higher on the head - about the position the bun is in your avatar, shikara. It's really comfortable and more flattering on me. Other buns, I usually do at ear level. The really low buns tend to fall out really fast with my hair.

wandlimb
April 20th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I sometimes wear my hair higher up (although it often gives me a headache) and I find that I can't keep it up there without a bobble/ponytail band. Whatever hairdo I have, I have to ponytail it there first or it won't stay.

Panth
April 20th, 2011, 03:36 AM
They always seem to escape back down the back of my head within an hour... that is unless I ponytail the base of the bun which I'm rubbish at. I can never make it look sleek and nice because my parting is so ingrained.

Valdeon
April 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Oh, oh I know, I know! My favorite one is Nautilus. It really holds like a rock and looks cute. High ponytail is fine too, but with my type of hair any pony tail holder slides right off in an hour, maybe even less.

ravenreed
April 20th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I sometimes start a figure 8 bun at the same spot I would do a high pony. When I flip the top loop up, it is above my crown and can easily be seen from the front. I stick some small flower pins in there and I am good to go.

WaitingSoLong
April 20th, 2011, 05:59 AM
The only bun/do I wear on my crown is a cinnabun with spin pins. I cannot seem to wear any sticks up there, they immediately fall right out.

Wearing the high cinnabun gives me a sore scalp when I take it down at the end of the day. It has more to do with me combing my hair against how it naturally lays than with the bun pulling. With spin pins, the bun does not pull at all.

I also wear a high pony (slightly below crown) from time to time, mostly because my husband loves it and also because I cannot wear low ponies. Low ponies = instant nape tangles. High ponies keep the hair off my collar/shirt/back of the seat, etc. I love doing the high pony when I have braid waves.

Chetanlaiho
April 20th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Anything too high up makes me go headachy very quickly so I very rarely do it. If I do a twisted nautilus bun (forgot what it was called) it ends up higher but still not on the crown of my head so to say :)

Madora
April 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM
My second go to style is a loosely braided single braid I wear on the top of my head. It looks like a pill box but is very comfortable.

All I do is bend deeply at the waist, comb all my hair in front of me, detangle thorougly, then start braiding (slightly loosely). Then it circle it in a bun on the top of my head and secure with 8 3 inch hairpins.

I also enjoy a double braided cocentric bun at the back of my head, or a slight variation on the cinnamon bun (except I twist sections of hair together instead of leaving the hair in one section as you would for the cinnamon bun).

If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll do a combo of bun with braided loops.

The thing to remember about placement of the style is not to do it tightly and to section your hair so that weight is distributed evenly. Makes it much more comfortable to wear!