PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on zinc?

Tomoyo
April 19th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I have some 5000mg zinc supplements hanging around that I'd stopped taking for a while because I'd been hearing mixed results relating to hair growth; some said it was great, some said it slowed growth and caused shedding. Can anyone offer first-hand experience of taking zinc, and what, if anything, it did to their hair?

Tomoyo
April 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM
...aaand that would be 50 mg of zinc. :D I was getting my biotin and my zinc amounts confused :p

littlenvy
April 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Honestly? :) Zinc is very tricky. Unless you are told that you don't have enough of it in your body by a doctor, I wouldn't take it.
Its like this, not enough zinc and you start to lose your hair, too much zinc and you lose your hair. :p
If you do have some left over, I would try little bit of it in a topical treatment and see how that goes. Its good for skin, especially if you have some scalp problems.

pelicano
April 20th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I nearly fainted when I saw 5000 mg!!! :D

If you're going to try it, I'd start at a lower dose than 50 - maybe about 15 mg.

Firefox7275
April 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Please get advice from a suitably qualified medical professional before supplementing. Nutrients work synergistically and in opposition, you can do more harm than good by upsetting the balance. If you would like to optimise hair growth, ensure that your diet meets or exceeds your government's recommendations for health.

Mesmerise
April 20th, 2011, 07:27 AM
50mg sounds really high! I don't think I'd take a supplement with THAT much zinc unless I had a diagnosed deficiency.

There are some signs of zinc deficiency to look out for...such as white spots on the fingernails (not from any other damage just appearing naturally). But yeah, it's probably best to get your zinc levels checked, and if you do decide to supplement start with a smaller dose!

Delila
April 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Here's a link to an article (http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/fixodent-popular-denture-cream-nerve-damage/story?id=12866372&page=1) about the dangers of too much zinc. (it causes nerve damage)

Just FYI.

As others have said, be sure it's a supplement you actually need.

owlathena
April 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
There are some signs of zinc deficiency to look out for...such as white spots on the fingernails !

I get those...I wonder if I have a zinc deficiency? I'll start eating more yogurt and pumpkin seeds!

nucleardelusion
April 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Personally, most dosages of zinc in multivitamins make me throw up. Taking it separately was fine for a little, then back to that metallic taste, which brought on strong nausea. Now I stick to zinc-free multivitamins and call it a day. I do still get those little white spots on my fingernails, etc... maybe I will look for foods with zinc instead.

LadyG
April 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I agree, don't take the extra zinc unless a Dr recommends it. Zinc toxicity can cause nerve damage, and it can't be reversed. And make sure they continue to monitor you.

christine1989
April 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I have some zinc suppliments that I bought because I hear that zinc reduces zits. Mine only supplies a day's reccomended amount- since it is a mineral I would not reccomend a huge amount. I think it works well for my skin but I don't know about the implications for hair.