PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff Patch

FoxFire
March 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I have a dandruff patch on the side of my head right above my temple, extending to the front hairline (about the size of a half dollar coin). I CWC every other day, and by the evening of the second day I have flakes falling out everywhere. I have tried melaleuca/tea tree oil the night before washing, and it seems to help some, but not a whole lot. Suggestions anyone? Thanks

serenitygal
March 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have something similar to that, but just above my forehead about a centimeter into the hairline, and extending back an inch or so and to the sides about three-four inches.
I am sometimes too lazy to do this (and I CO every other day anyhow) but when I'm no so lazy, I scritch the area REALLY thoroughly (get up all the flakes, looks gross). Then I do an oil treatment that includes a lot of rub-the-oil-into-the-scalp massage with tea tree oil in the oil on the patch in question. I let the oil sit on there for a while (preferably overnight), and wash it out with either a long CO or a diluted shampoo/honey/tea tree oil mix followed by conditioner, being sure to really SCRUB the scalp throughout the wash period and condition twice.
This also clarifies my hair a bit. I suspect (don't know for certain) that the flakes are partly caused by a bit of irritation due to buildup on the scalp that I don't notice as fast as my scalp does, if that makes any sense. The scritching gets to the "base layer" of skin, if you will, while the oil moisturizes while pulling out whatever buildup is in the pores/hair shafts, and the thorough washing removes the oil and the buildup that is then in the oil. The tea tree oil and honey help with the dandruff if it is fungus-based.
This works best for me if I don't do it more than 2x a month at the MOST, but YMMV, of course. I only use the shampoo solution once every month or two.

SolSara
March 13th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I would say that it's eczema or plain dry skin and not ordinary dandruff. My boyfriend has this, especially around the forehead. Try using oil, aloe vera gel or a thick lotion that still let's the skin breath. Tea Tree oil can sometimes be to strong for sensitive skin. Light scratching before helps the skin restart, but do it gently so you don't irritate it. :)

sibylla
March 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I had that before. After I stoped using poo and doing WO it has gone away!Hope it works for you too. To make the patch go away put vaseline on it ;)

AntiHairSlave
March 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I used very small amounts of sulfur 8 to help with my dandruff but now that I use a shikakai/amla powder rinse as my shampoo I no longer have this problem

comicalcupcake
March 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
It could be caused by a fungus similar to ringworm. Many cases of dandruff are. It basically eats your sebum and produces flakes with it. You can kill it with a variety of natural items: honey, coconut oil, tea tree oil, garlic, pau d'arco, etc. Alternating might work even better. Also if you feel comfortable you might consider cutting back on sugar/starch intake while you are treating it, as fungus loves to feed on sugar.